2013 Season: 85-77 (637 RS, 671 RA, 77-85 pythag. record), didn’t qualify for playoffs
Top stories from last week:
- The Winter Meetings brought lots of rumors (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday) but no major transactions for the Yankees, though they did reject a Brett Gardner-for-Brandon Phillips offer from the Reds. Joaquin Benoit, Dustin Ackley, Johan Santana, Mark Reynolds, Justin Masterson, Didi Gregorius, Kevin Youkilis, Danny Espinosa, Michael Young, and Homer Bailey were among the other players connected to New York.
- Both Omar Infante (Royals) and Mark Ellis (Cardinals) agreed to sign elsewhere, taking the two best second base options off the board. The Yankees talked to the Cubs about Darwin Barney at some point this offseason and they seem to have “little interest” in Brian Roberts.
- Gary Sanchez was ranked as the team’s top prospect by Baseball America. Brian Cashman confirmed Dellin Betances has a minor league option for 2014. The Yankees lost Double-A right-hander Tommy Kahnle and four others in the Rule 5 Draft. They did not make a selection.
- Joe Torre was unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame by the Expansion Era committee and the Yankees will retire his number at some point. River Ave. outside of Yankee Stadium will be renamed Rivera Ave. in honor of Mariano Rivera.
- The Yankees acquired righty Kyle Haynes from the Pirates to complete the Chris Stewart trade.
- Mark Teixeira (wrist) is hoping to return to game action by the first week of March.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.