Dec

Gammons: Cashman says Yankees will not sign Stephen Drew

Via Peter Gammons: Brian Cashman said yesterday that the Yankees will not sign Stephen Drew. The free agent infielder is said to be “awaiting some further Yankee clarity” before signing a new contract, likely meaning he wants to see if they’ll make an offer should Alex Rodriguez be suspended. If nothing else, it would give him some negotiating leverage against the Red Sox.

Drew, 30, hit .253/.333/.443 (109 wRC+) with 13 homers this past summer, includes a .284/.377/.498 (137 wRC+) line against righties. Everything you need to know about him is in the Scouting The Market post. Thanks to injuries and looming suspensions, the Yankees have questions at all four infield spots. Adding another infielder is a must if A-Rod is suspended, and, really, they should look to add one even if his ban is overturned. Drew is by far the best available free agent infielder.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. The Great Gonzo says:

Well, I called the Stephen Drew signing “Inevitable and already remorseful” back in October… Egg on my face. Thank Christ.

2. Still think the Mets sign him when gets cheap.

3. Jorge Steinbrenner says:

So he’ll be in pinstripes by tomorrow. Gotcha.

He’s still somewhat of an odd fit, although I’d do it if I was the Yanks. Even the odd fit is bound to be upgrade over what’s penciled in right now.

4. Caballo Sin Nombre says:

It’s post-aneurysm Gammons. There’s a 50% chance the Cashman quote was an hallucination.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I hadn’t watched Gammons in years, really since the “Diamond Notes” days on ESPN. Sox bias and all, I very much used to like him. He was really the first “expert” guy they put on TV who actually looked the part.

I made the rare mistake of tuning into the MLB Network at some point last season and Gammons was on. Pure nonsense was coming out of the man’s mouth. It was sad. It was like one of those new albums by an 80′s metal band where they just re-record the old songs for rights purposes, only they sound 100 times worse.

• Guns says:

I made the rare mistake of tuning into the MLB Network at some point last season and Gammons was on. Pure nonsense spittle was coming out of the man’s mouth.

He’s one of those rare breads of people who collect thick spit on the sides of their mouths when they talk. FREAKS me out.

• Caballo Sin Nombre says:

I went to college in Boston in the 70′s, and Gammons was absolutely great back then. Really knew everything there was to know about the AL East, and displayed the highest level of respect for the Yankees. But he has been broken down completely for the past decade-plus, due to his major health problems. It’s clear that he is only employed right now due to the admiration the current generation has for his contributions over the years.

• MikeB. says:

Indeed.

5. jim says:

What about Michael young or mark renyolds lot cheaper I thought they were in the mix. I last I herd they were also looking at balfour to close and waiting on tanaka. Also if they sign tanaka then they are over the 189 mark and should get another starter and have pinada start in the minors.

6. TheEvilUmpire says:

File under reports that mean absolutely nothing.

7. vicki says:

man, way to hose the guy on his negotiations.

8. mustang says:

Tears running down RAB face.

9. Guns says:

Cashman: We are NOT signing Stephen Drew.

Levine: Hi Ca$h. I just gave Stephen Drew 5 years, $80M. U know u luv the signing. He just needs to get on the liquid fast!

10. RetroRob says:

I’d like him on a one or two year deal, but he’ll be looking for more.

All of his hitting in 2013 happened at Fenway. He sucked on the road. I’d be concerned.

• Steve (different one) says:

Agreed. I like Drew, just not at the Peralta $52M/4 neighborhood.

• lightSABR says:

That’s not true! He hit .222 on the road! That’s, like, 47 hits away from Fenway!

In seriousness, thanks for the heads-up. I had no idea his home-road splits were that bad. I wondered why he bounced back so well after a lousy 2012 and a mediocre 2011; looks like the stadium had something to do with it.

That said… his spray chart for the last two years makes it look like Yankee Stadium would give him a boost, too: http://www.fangraphs.com/spray.....38;vs2=ALL

• RetroRob says:

Because he’s a lefty with some pop, yes that short porch would be a good thing. Outside of Fenway, Yankee Stadium might one of the better places for him. Yet I’m not convinced it would be enough. Pitchers will know that and if he’s trying to jerk the ball as they’re pitching him away it will get nasty.

I am also the first to say not to read too much into home/road splits with one season of data. Yet in this case I would be concerned.

He is an obvious choice based on what’s available, yet I would have my concerns if they gave him a longer term deal. Just not convinced.

11. SlowestPorcupine says:

Someone in the front office grow a pair and tell Jetes (Yeah Jetes) he’s moving to third just like Ripken, sign Drew and be done with it.

• qwerty says:

Jeter is supposed to tell them when he’s ready to move and he’s not ready.

• Chris H says:

Just change the name to the New York Jeters already… The man shouldn’t be telling the people above him anything, he should be open to helping the team in whatever way aa 40 year old can whether that’s batting 7-9 or not playing SS.

That said I havr no desire to see him play third or second, he’s likley to be a liability in the feild where ever he plays so he might as well just DH. The bad part is I don’t think he’s going to be all that good with the bat either, though he may still hit LHP. In general Jeter still being on this team is hurting the team, we have to deal with his fragile ego at a time when he’s no longer talented enough for that to make up for the headaches and log jams that creates. At least we gave him a 4 million dollar raise…

• JohnnyC says:

I’ll bite. Who IS the loneliest monk?

• vicki says:

i really don’t think you people know what you’re saying. that is a terrible, terrible infield. if we’re going to have a terrible, terrible infield let’s not pay league-average-offense stephen drew 12mm+ per for the pleasure.

• lightSABR says:

Let’s not forget how much better league-average offense would be than what we put in the infield last year. I keep harping on it, but last year our non-Cano infielders put up -1.9 fWAR over 2100 PA, which is a truly prodigious amount of suck.

Assuming Drew performed as well in YS3 as in Fenway (a big assumption, I admit), he would have turned that into positive 1.5 fWAR singlehandedly.

• Steve (different one) says:

Here’s the thing: if ARod is not suspended for all/most of 2014, Jeter is not the best option at 3B….

• TWTR says:

That decision probably needs ownership’s OK, but there is usually no easy way to plan a graceful exit for an iconic player unless that player makes it easy to do.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

That may not be in anyone’s best interest.

• TWTR says:

Unless you think that the runs that Ryan can potentially save at SS are enough to justify a move.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I’d rather keep Jeter at short and find an actual third baseman.

• TWTR says:

Depending on the 3B, I agree.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Anything, at this point, pretty much involves us pulling a third baseman out of thin air (meaning someone we haven’t previously considered for whatever reason.)

The question with the hypothetical Ryan/Jeter alignment, and what you presented, is whether Ryan would hit even nearly enough to not cancel out his defensive value.

• TWTR says:

Yes, but that has to be placed alongside what Jeter has left not only offensively, but also defensively at SS. My point is merely that it’s possible that SS may not be a position that he can play even adequately anymore.

• Chris H says:

History tells us Jeter won’t be able to man SS as a starter in 2014. In all of baseball history only 5 players have played 50% or more of their games at SS at age 40 or over and two of them were Wagner and Appling, take them out and you are left with Larkin, Vizquel, and Ozzie Smith. Outside of Appling and Wagner there is no SS to post a wRC+ of 92 or better on that list at 40. It’s overwhelmingly likely Jeter is done in the field and not hard to imagine he’s close to done with the bat. The best I think we can hope for is league average season where he gets a large majority of his ABs at DH. The worst case scenario leaves us with Jeter not hitting, incapable of fielding, yet refusing or management refusing, to pull him from the lineup/field. The PR nightmare already has ESPN hoping for the worst I think.

• lightSABR says:

I’d rather not re-sign Jeter, let him decline his player option, and then pick him up as a bench-warmer for a very generous deal – something like 1 year, $3.5 million plus incentives. Then I’d sign Drew to start at shortstop. We can still do that, right?

• Chip Rodriguez says:

I’ll take Ryan and his noodle bat at SS over Ryan. At least Ryan provides some spectacular defense.

12. mt says:

I am ambivalent on Drew given his cost (to the Yankees – he may sign a sweetheart deal with Sox since it is the devil he knows – don’t see him giving us a grteat deal). Still hoping for Reynolds or Baker (not sure if both are still available).

Seems like Jesse Crain just signed a one year deal with Astros – too bad – I really wanted him as an injury bounceback candidate for our thin bullpen. I guess we are in paralysis mode with any signings until Arod decision comes down.

(Speaking of Arod, I was proud of myself yesterday – all these articles and tweets were out yesterday about Levine/Arod e-mails and normally as a rabid Yankee fan I would be clicking on all of them to read them but I decided around a month ago (whenever Arod staged his walk-out from hearing and then did his WFAN interview with Mike F) that I was not reading a single article on A-rod – whether title of article appeared positive to Arod or negative – until after arbitrator ruled (in which case he probably will sue anyway). The rest is white noise and after arbitrator rules is when the real games begin.)

13. Slu says:

I don’t get the fascination with Drew. He can’t hit. That plays at short, but nowhere else. Unless you are going to get Jeter to play 2nd, Drew is too expensive for the value he brings to the team.

• lightSABR says:

Over 3918 career PA, Drew has hit .264/.329/.435, good for a 96 wRC+. Last year, over 501 PA, he hit .253/.333/.443, good for a 109 wRC+.

Next year, Derek Jeter is projected to hit either .281/.339/.376 (96 wRC+) or .252/.313/.331 (77 wRC+), depending on whether you trust Steamer or Oliver. Last year, the Yankees’ shortstops averaged an on-base percentage of .266.

In other words, you don’t have mistake Drew for Troy Tulowitzki to think he’d be an upgrade.

14. Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

Cashman failed.

15. Mr. Roth says:

The actual context of the quote that Gammons is referencing is:

Gammons: “Will you try to sign Stephen Drew?”
    Cashman: “I can not say at this time if we will or will not sign Stephen Drew.

16. Farewell Mo says:

Can’t say I love Drew but this infield is shaping up to be a total disaster.

17. FIPster Doofus says:

Just sign Reynolds and be done with it.

• Chris H says:

Yes because Reynold’s and his .225/.319/.406 slash line against LHP and his .218/.298/.386 slash against RHP completes the infield and fixes all problems. We haven’t even started to discuss defense and already Mark Reynolds has no purpose on this team, he can’t field, and he can’t hit, all he can do is strikeout which doesn’t help.

18. Mike says:

Jeter is a better player at his age anyway.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Probably not.

• lightSABR says:

Steamer and Oliver actually have them about even for next year, but actually predicting the performance of a shortstop with Jeter’s talent, but at Jeter’s age and coming off a lost season, is impossible. He might give us another 2012. Or he might be done as a major-league baseball player. I suspect the latter is more likely than the former, but who knows?

• Chris H says:

Either way Jeter is a 40 year old SS which means if he starts 80 games in the field at that position it would be noteworthy historically. There is no way Jeter is a starting caliber SS in 2014, he may hit well enough to justify DH’ing enough to qualify as a “starter” but there is no way he starts 100+ games at SS at age 40.

19. forensic says:

Good. Now if he’d say the same thing about Reynolds, I’d be really happy.

20. MikeB. says:

I’ve never cared much for Gammons. I remember years ago when it looked like Boston would sign Alex how Gammons crowed about how Alex might very well be the best player in baseball history. Then the Yanks sign Alex–and Gammons backs off from his “greatest” remarks.

Don’t know if it’s true, but some folks I know from New England have told me that the whole stroke thing was fabricated to cover the real nature of Gammons’s health issue–booze.

• Caballo Sin Nombre says:

Yes, I’m sure being from New England makes you a true insider on the Gammons health story. Every single one of the 14M residents of the New England states were standing there in Gammon’s room at the Brigham when his doctor broke the diagnosis.

• MikeB. says:

Do me a favor, and go listen to America. LOL

Perhaps Gammons is a drunk, perhaps not.

You’ll feel good if you come in out of the rain.

21. pft2 says:

If true, it means the 189′ers have won the day. Forget about Tanaka, it ain’t happening. They are content to have another 85 W season, apparently secure in the belief they have duped the fans into believing they have a shot next year and paying to see mediocrity and an aging icon.

• FIPster Doofus says:

“Forget about Tanaka, it ain’t happening.”

Because they don’t want the highly inconsistent, injury-prone Stephen Drew? Put away the Jump to Conclusions mat for a minute.

22. fred robbins says:

Happy New Year…..

I am guessing that Arod will get either a 50 or 65 game suspension. If he can hit, he will help out in between all the lefty bats even if he only stays healthy a few months.
    What I don’t understand is the Jeter thing. It seems to me, any smart organization would have been either grooming or looking for their next short stop two years ago- after his booming 2012- in the meantime, many short stops have been traded around the league who would have fit the bill very nicely.
    Why are the Yankee brass afraid to tell Jeter he is being paid almost as a favor for his past efforts? Does his big fat ego even understand that?
    I still think that if they kept Ibanez and Russell Martin, they would have made the playoffs. And, while people thought it would be better for the Yankees to miss the playoffs and recognize they need to rebuild this stale machine, the Yankees are just in a tunnel and seem to just do the same thing as always– picking up players and letting them go almost willy nilly–

23. MikeB. says:

Do me a favor, and go listen to America.

Perhaps Gammons is a drunk, perhaps not.

You’ll feel good if you get in out of the rain.

24. MikeB. says: