Dec

Heyman: Eric Chavez returning to Diamondbacks

Via Jon Heyman: The Diamondbacks and Eric Chavez have agreed to a new contract. No word on the terms, but it’s probably a one-year deal worth a couple million bucks. Chavez hit nine homers with a 114 wRC+ in 254 plate appearances for Arizona this past season.

The Yankees reportedly had interest in bringing Chavez back earlier this offseason, before signing Kelly Johnson and Brian Roberts. The team still needs infield help but it appears they will wait for the ruling in Alex Rodriguez‘s appeal to be handed down before making another position player move. They also need a right-handed hitter; there are enough lefties on the roster as is. Chavez was an option for the Yankees but not a great fit.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Erica weeps.

• I'm One says:

Me too. Would have liked him back. Prefer him to Reynolds, would likely have been less expensive, and should A-Rod avoid a lengthy suspension, he would have worked nicely in a lefty-righty platoon. Although the injuries ….

Still, can’t blame the guy for preferring to stay closer to home. Good luck to him!

• I'm a looser and a trader baby so why don't you kill me? says:

I weep.

2. Fin says:

Roberts is the Yankees Chavez. Having both of them would blow up the interwebs.

3. RetroRob says:

It would have been nice to have Chavez back, but he would have been another high-risk injury player.

I believe some of the projections have the A-Rod decision due shortly after the new year, so it’s probably only a few weeks out.

• I'm One says:

…. A-Rod decision due shortly after the new year …

I hope that timeline holds. Whatever the outcome, I just want to know what it is.

• RetroRob says:

They were originally going to take a break during the hearings, but then decided to work straight through so that a decision could be handed down quickly. A couple of the published reports suggested it could come shortly after January 1, with one even suggesting before January 1. I remain a bit skeptical of the late December guess, but a very early January announcement would be great.

4. mike says:

he likes being close to home, and the warm weather likely is good for his health…he is in a great situation with a winning team.

once Johnson was signed, IMO there was no room for Chavez on the team anyway

5. mt says:

I wonder if a Mark Reynolds type is also waiting for Arod ruling t come down before he even considers signing with Yankees. Just hope it comes in first few days of January, either way. (then his inevitable attempt at an injunction but that’s another part of the story.)

6. dars says:

Great. We’ll be going into the season with Brian “Made of Glass” Roberts and Kelly “Part Time Player” Johnson starting in our infield. Great move Cashman! I’m sure Jeter will remain healthy and productive all year and if he doesn’t there’s always Nunez!

Face the facts, this is not a playoff team.

7. nyyankfan_7 says:

Here let me summarize every post that Jeter’s Parting Gift Basket will get on here and post:

“He’s signed for 1 year and a couple million bucks? Fail Cashman! Ninja! He’s worth more money than that and instead Cashman goes out and signs Roberts, Thorton and Ellsbury. This team sucks.”

8. hogsmog says:

I’d rather have Reynolds anyway; there’s no lack of lefties in this lineup, and Chavez has glass bones. That said, if someone else picks up Reynolds, the talent pool is starting to look pretty thin.

9. Frank says:

I have a feeling Nix will be back in pinstripes.

• vicki says:

you shut your mouth.

• Laz says:

I have nothing against the guy. He is a valuable late innings replacement. The problem was that he got too many at bats last year.

• jjyank says:

Agreed. I think Nix is plenty useful and gets more hate than he deserves. It’s not his fault he got over-exposed last year. He’s a versatile infielder who is not a complete black hole at the plate. He’s a depth/bench piece, and that’s fine. Every team needs one of those.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I’d take him on a lifetime MiLB contract with unlimited options.

10. TWTR says:

I was surprised they let him go last year (they had prioritized pitching) and opted for Youkilis instead, who was more injury prone. But since they did, I didn’t think he was coming back.

• CashmanNinja says:

I believe they had interest in bringing him back last year, but Chavez wanted to play closer to home. Plus he probably got a slightly bigger salary than what the Yanks were offering as well. I’d have liked him back, but he’s in a very good situation. He is always hurt, but he’s productive enough when he is healthy. I wouldn’t mind Reynolds back though as long as he wasn’t too expensive — and that’s regardless of whether A-Rod is back or if he’s suspended. I like Reynolds’ power and he seemed to like his time here. I’m all for bringing him back for a short term deal.

• TWTR says:

From the article in my post:

Chavez said Yankees’ GM Brian Cashman was upfront with him. “They had a pecking order,” Chavez said. “They wanted to do pitchers first.”

That suggests that he was interested in returning, but, understandably, didn’t want to wait until they finished their other business.

11. Kiko Jones says:

If there’s no real 3B candidate out there that Cashman is quietly pursuing, I dunno what he’s waiting to re-sign Mark Reynolds as part of that particular platoon.