Dec

MLB and NPB officially announce new posting system

After several weeks of haggling, MLB and NPB have officially announced the new posting system agreement. It’s a three-year deal. The new system does not include a bidding process, the NPB team simply sets a “release fee” of up to $20M for the player, and any team willing to pay the fee can negotiate with him. Only the team that signs the player has to pay the fee. The details are here.

Now that the new system is in place, the Rakuten Golden Eagles can finally post right-hander Masahiro Tanaka. There is no guarantee they will do that, however. The $20M maximum release fee is less than half of what they were expecting under the old system. At the Winter Meetings last week, the Rakuten team president said he will speak to Tanaka this week before determining whether to post him. They will reportedly try to convince him to remain in Japan for another season after helping the team win a championship in 2013.

Update: This Sanspo report (translated article) says Tanaka will be posted, but nothing is official yet. We should know soon either way.

1. vin says:

They’ll post him. I doubt they’d want to alienate all Japanese players and upset the apple cart by forcing Tanaka to play another season for them.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

It’s a substantial drop in how much they probably expected to get in posting fee. Nothing would surprise me.

2. Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Come to papa.

3. Mandy Stankiewicz says:

I heard they have till March 1 to post him (is this true?). Here’s to NY being in the mix if they do!

4. Tacoby says:

According to Sanspo.com, Rakuten Golden Eagles owner Hiroshi Mikitani will allow Masahiro Tanaka to be posted this offseason.

5. Steinbrenner's Ghost says:

Send Matsui and Ichiro over there to recruit him.

• TWTR says:

Carrying a very, very large check.

• Steinbrenner's Ghost says:

…and Kuroda

• Fernando says:

Absolutely, the Yankees should totally use Kuroda, Ichiro and Matsui to recruit Tanaka on benefits of playing here. Matsui can speak of how players are treated here…how many Japanese players had a day for them here in the US? And Kuroda and Ichiro can speak to the current team and the the commitment to winning here.

#18 is taken by Kuroda, but we can give him #28. This is where the team should pull a Steinbrenner to make Tanaka feel at home.

6. TWTR says:

If he is posted, there is no excuse for the Yankees not to sign him, unless, of course, he doesn’t want to play here…

• Fin says:

Or someone blows the field out of the water. There is more than 1 team in MLB, and there is no predicting what another team will do. Dodgers could just keep raising their offer till the Yankees drop out. A team like Royals, could bid significantly more than any other team, feeling they are 1 piece away..ect. There is a lot of money in baseball now and as we’ve seen with Cano and Infante, there is no guarantee the Yankees get their man anymore.

• qwerty says:

Right. Moreover, I don’t think the yankees have enough money left over for Tanaka anyway, especially when there will now be so much competition for him. Another thing that may hinder his signing is their experience with Kei Igawa. They didn’t bother with Darvish for this reason.

• Rod says:

Doesn’t matter about the cost. NYY saved so much by staying away from the other international FA’s (Darvish, et al)that they just need to be the top bidder now, no matter what.

• Frank says:

How is there no excuse? Yanks aren’t the only act in town anymore. Off the top of my head, I can name 5 teams that can easily get him (Dodgers, Giants, Angels, Rangers, Cubs). And there are many others. Signing this guy is far from a sure thing.

7. Fin says:

I really cant believe 2 corporations came together and worked out an agreement that is best for the player.

• RetroRob says:

Still perplexed by that one! The MLB Players’ Union is probably sitting back pleased but totally scratching its collective head.

8. BK2ATL says:

It appears that the main competition for him will be Theo and the Cubs, who apparently are prepared to open up the bank book big-time for him. They haven’t been shy when it comes to these international signings, and have amassed a pretty good stable of young talent.

Cashman and Co. will really need to put the grade-A NY Yankees pitch.

9. OldYanksFan says:

Here’s a good reason Home Plate collisions were banned.

• Fin says:

In my opinion fans and the players who were against the rule change are nuts. Just because a catcher has gear to help protect him from baseballs, doesn’t mean he has the gear to protect him from somebody running full speed at him. The horrific injuries that are avoidable by this change certainly justify it. I’m sure a fair amount of runners have been hurt in collisions as well, who are also now protected. In 10yrs from now when people look back at those collisions they will think, how stupid was baseball for allowing that. Not, wow, that was great seeing Pete Rose destroy that guys career, how stupid is baseball for changing the rule.

• CashmanNinja says:

I was against the rule change at first because I remember the excitement of a play at the plate, but now that I think about it it seems like guys are hitting the catcher “just because” instead of actually trying to break up the play, and by that I mean with the catcher actually having the ball and staring down the runner. Look no further than Pete Rose or Buster Posey and that’s why it’s best for it to be done with. I’d hate to have a great player have his career ruined over something pointless (especially in Pete Rose’s case, that was uncalled for and…pointless).

• RetroRob says:

The Rose/Fosse collision gets mentioned a lot, but in Rose’s defense, Fosse was blocking the plate with his leg and Rose at the last second decided to hit Fosse up high, otherwise he would have slide right into his leg and catcher’s gear. Rose himself was actually injured and out for several games.

Second, it seems to me that home plate collisions have become much more frequent over the past decade or two. I really don’t remember them as much. Catchers seem more willing today to block home plate before they have the ball. So while the Rose play gets noted, I think it happened less frequently back then. (Purely an observation; I have no proof!)

• Fin says:

I just used Rose and an example, since its the most famous of the home plate collisions. I don’t think the play was dirty per se. However, I do think it was completely out of line since it happened during an all star game. If I was fosse, I would have hired someone to break Rose’s legs.

• UncleArgyle says:

I do think the Rose hit on Fosse was dirty. Rose ended the guys career in a fricking exhibition game! Absolutely no reason not to slide. In case you can’t tell, I hate Pete Rose. Dude literally fixed baseball games as a manager and denied denied denied until he got a book deal.

10. Jose Domingues says:

The sky is the limit on this guy! He could be a legit ace going forward as soon as next season. Kuroda will mentor him, and they Tanaka will take over going forward. I say go for it Yankees. He will be the prize of the off-season. The Yankees have shown they are willing to spend, they have shown they prize Japanese stars, they have a little legacy starting with the Japanese imports, he will be the next one. This is what they have to offer. Bid that 20 Mill and lets get this guy in pinstripes.

11. forensic says:

Please post him. And please go in big for him, Yankees! There’s certainly risk, but the potential reward of a very young top of the rotation pitcher is something they really can’t pass up with the condition of their rotation and how rarely someone of his age and potential comes available.

12. King of Fruitless Hypotheticals says:

We’re pretty much hoping Arod gets suspended for 162 at this point aren’t we?

• Jose Domingues says:

Weren’t we always hoping this?? Don’t you want to field the best possible team??? and if not he’d be welcome @ 3rd at least for this season.

• Dale Mohorcic says:

I’ve changed my position on this–I’m hoping he isn’t suspended. If the Yanks are already over the Hal-Cap, then they might as well keep spending.

• RetroRob says:

Yes. I want the Yankees to spend on the assumption he’s suspended, and then find out he’s not, or only 50 games. They’re better with him.

• OldYanksFan says:

At this point, the best thing is a 50 game suspension.
      Then the $189m is shot to hell and we have decent 3Bman for 2/3rds of the season.

13. CashmanNinja says:

It’s going to take a big contract to get him, but if that’s the case then so be it. I have no problem with them offering a CC Sabathia sized contract to him. Sure he could suck and be like Igawa, but I don’t think that will happen. Igawa literally was nowhere near Tanaka or Darvish’s level. Igawa was the kind of guy who happened to be good at pitching against weaker competition by getting guys to chase his stuff. Tanaka actually has STUFF. He can run a 2 seamer inside or throw a nasty curve that seems to have a 11-to-5 break on the outside. Long story short, his off-speed stuff has that “heavy” look to it…kind of like how Chien-Ming Wang’s sinker did. That’s just my personal opinion, but Tanaka has a fastball that has life to it, has off-speed stuff that looks faster than it is with lots of rotation, and he doesn’t seem afraid of batters. He has no problem going up and in on someone and trying to get a weak reaction swing up high or throwing inside to either push a guy off the plate or tie him up. This is why he’s worth the risk. If you’re going to test the foreign waters this is a guy who is built to succeed in NY. He has the stuff and he has the mentality. He had the spot light on him in Japan (30+ straight WINS) and I have no problem with the Yankees opening up their checkbook for him.

14. BobbyD says:

The yankees if they are true to their word that they will not stick to the 189 luxury tax cap if it means not fielding a championship caliber team need to be aggressive for Tanaka. The only problem is there is no guarantee he will be an ace and there are really no other free agent options that will make them championship caliber. The only way would be a trade for someone like Cliff Lee or David Price and what are the chances of that happening? So if a trade is not possible for an ace go for Tanaka!!

15. OldYanksFan says:

It’s not just about the money. Tanaka wants to come to the USA and MLB.
    Does he have a favorite MLB team?
    Does he want a team with other Asian players?
    Does he want to play in a city with an Asian population?
    Does he have family that will come over also?
    Does he want to play on a contender (then the Cubs are out)?

This is a man who will be leaving his country and his culture.
    I’m sure there are a number of concerns he has that we don’t think about it in a typical FA deal.

16. qwerty says:

The yankees will not get Tanaka.

17. j Montero says:

When it comes to pitching, Yankees are gun shy, end up losing their target and make a rash decision,just to save face.

• CashmanNinja says:

This is different than a rash decision. Kei Igawa was a rash decision. Hell, Cashman didn’t even know what pitches he threw or how hard he threw. He was just another name who was posted so the Yankees made a quick (dumb) decision in that regard. Tanaka is different. The Yankees have sent scouts to every one of his games and I wouldn’t be surprised if they had a Girardi-esque binder full of stats and info on Tanaka. They want him badly.

18. Cuso says:

After translating the article (and trying to make sense of the grammar) it seems like they’re not definitely posting him.

I still think they’re not posting him and are just grandstanding. They’re doing their hardest to convince Tanaka to wait one more year (i’m speculating).

19. RetroRob says:

10/$240M should close the deal.

#wrongthread

20. Oops I Crapped My Pants says:

I sure hope he is posted. Time for the the Yankees to go all in on this guy. 25 years old and talented, yet unproven in MLB. Its worth the risk, especially because Hal can afford it.

21. Scott says:

I hope Cashman offers him 10 yrs, $235.1m (100K more than Cano demanded).