Dec

Update: MLB to investigate Randy Levine for possible tampering

5:43pm: Levine called MLB and Angels team president John Carpino to apologize for the comment, according to Mark Feinsand. “My understanding is the matter is over,” said Levine. No harm, no foul.

5:30pm: Via Bill Shaikin: MLB plans to investigate Yankees president Randy Levine to see if comments he made at Jacoby Ellsbury‘s press conference on Friday constitute tampering. “Now, if it was Mike Trout, I’d offer him a ten-year contract. But for people over 30, I don’t believe it makes sense,” said Levine when asked about the team’s refusal to offer Robinson Cano a ten-year deal. The Trout comment is the one that caught the league’s attention.

Tampering is a pretty big deal; MLB does not like executives talking about a player under contract with another team. I have absolutely no idea what kind of discipline may be handed down in this situation, but Levine’s comment was pretty innocuous. He was using Trout as an example of a great young player more than anything. I don’t know what will happen next, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we never hear about this again. These things tend to happen behind closed doors.

Categories : Asides

1. FIPster Doofus says:

Are you fucking kidding me?

2. hey now says:

MLB’s punishment should be to make him get a haircut and grow out those sideburns. WTF?

3. Smallz says:

CONTEXT.. It’s really lost now adays..

4. RetroRob says:

Oh. come on. This is ridiculous.

Nothing will happen. Trout is not a free agent or even close to being a free agent. It’s also a painfully obvious statement.

Hand slap, at worst, behind closed doors. And it may not be anything more of what a reminder of the rules.

5. Cuso says:

Olney: Omar Infante is close to an agreement on a four-year deal for about $30 million with the Kansas City Royals.

6. BrianMcCannon (formerly HateMclouth) says:

Uh… what?

7. Vannoy says:

Could they just fire him already? He is the worst.

8. TheRealGreg says:

Hello Brandon Phillips

9. Cuso says:

Whatever you want, Chris “Getz!”

Yuck

10. W.B. Mason Williams says:

Breaking News: Levine accused of wasting half a cuban sandwich, punishment for racism forthcoming.

11. Legend of 23 says:

Wish Cash would tell him the “Shit the F Up” for a “smart” guy he never says anything worthwhile.

12. There's the Door says:

Does Levine ever think before he talks?

13. Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

Things happen so fast you can’t even see them happen, yea. Because comparatively speaking to the Macho Man “Randy Levine,” you are nothing but garbage, MLB, yea. You know what I’m reading right now? I’m reading yesterday’s newspaper. Because that’s all MLB is! MLB better watch out, because I’m gonna sweep it right outta here. I am the cream, the cream of the crop! There is no doubt about that. But MLB’s gotta play by different rules, yea. They gotta get in their grandstanding and their hotdogging, don’t they? Not only is MLB a grandstander and a hotdogger, they’re a liar, too. I hate your guts, MLB! But there is nothing that can stop macho madness! They can’t handle the Macho Man “Randy Levine!” Oooooooh, yeaaaaaaa!!

14. There's the Door says:

Does Levine ever think before speaks?

• Nuke Guy says:

I don’t see what he said wrong here.

• BamBamMusings says:

Its overblown. But he shouldn’t use the name of a player under contract when talking about what he’d offer. MLB looks at it in the terms of, Guy A talking about how much money he would spend on an engagement ring to a girl guy B is engaged to.

15. JB Early says:

MLB suits – and I don’t GAS who’s in the suit, are a bunch of Yankee haters. They use any pretext to F with the Yankees. As another commenter aptly stated – context. He was too charitable to also say – one needs a certain amount of smarts to know what that is. . .. BTW I don’t like Mr Levine, but in the Trout/Cano analogy? I’m in total agreement.

16. jmpnyy says:

Just fire the boob. Between his Gene Wilder hair and largemouth bass mouth he is a detriment to the org. All he needs is large eyes and he can be Marty Feldman.

17. Kiko Jones says:

I don’t like the guy and hope he gets busted for something (Go A-Rod!) but this is ridiculous.

18. dmo says:

Mlb being interested in anything Levine says is a joke. That being said if they want to suspend him for 212 games I would be fine with that!