Dec

Thursday Night Open Thread

The 2013 Winter Meetings are over. The Yankees didn’t make any moves these last few days but there were a bunch of rumors, most involving Brett Gardner. I’m glad the team values him as much as they apparently do and have set a high price. It would have been very easy to pull the trigger on that Gardner-for-Brandon Phillips offer, and heck, it sounds exactly like something they would have done about ten years ago. The countdown in the sidebar says we’re two months and two days away from pitchers and catchers reporting. Lots of time to fix that pitching staff and the infield.

Here is your open thread for the evening. The Lions and Broncos are the Thursday NFL game, plus the Rangers, Islanders, and Nets are all playing. Talk about those games, the Winter Meetings, or anything else right here. Enjoy.

(Not ashamed to admit I can’t wait to see the (latest) Godzilla remake.)

Categories : Open Thread

1. TWTR says:

“…and heck, it sounds exactly like something they would have done about ten years ago.”

Gardner for Phillips does sound like a George move.

2. Cuso says:

Yeah. It got weird there with all the “good-looking” stuff. Saying it once, OK.

But he came back to it again and thee were only like 5 softball questions and he kept coming back t handsome comments.

3. Mads W says:

So Cano says he didn’t think about the money… I call bullshit

• forensic says:

He said straight out to Pedro Gomez that he felt the Yankees disrespected him because they kept their offer at 7 years and he wanted this to be his last contract since he’ll be 37-38 at the end of it and wouldn’t be able to get more money at that point. And that’s how he’s passing off that he didn’t go for the money, since he took less AAV from the Mariners.

4. McLovin says:

Love Godzilla! Can’t wait!

5. Captain Turbo says:

Those HALO jumpers are lucky Rodan isn’t in this one.

6. Alkaline says:

I’m actually pretty excited for this movie, too.

7. gbyanks says:

thought this would be a good topic in a previous thread:

if the royals sign infante does anyone think they would make Bonifacio available? They need a more legit backup catcher, and a utility man maybe cervelli and nunez. id throw in one of the young pitchers(phelps, warren, nuno) to sweeten the deal. at that point it would be an overpay but id like bonifaio a lot more then Ellis at second or Young/ Reynolds at third

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Seems like a big overpay for basically a speedier version of Jayson Nix.

• gbyanks says:

hes much better then nix. (nix career) slash.218/290/358 is alot worse then 262/322/340 (Bonifacio slash)even if he repeats his 2012 260/330 with 30 bags thats a real nice number 8 hitter. i will admit the overpay but that just the desperation lol

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

A .662 OPS isn’t that much better than a .648 OPS.
          He’s better, but not nearly enough better to give up much of anything for him.

Recently they’ve been very close.
          2012-13
          Nix: 505 PA, 239/307/340, 77 wRC+, 1.0 fWAR, 1.2 bWAR
          Bonifacio: 735 PA, 248/308/325, 74 wRC+, 1.0 fWAR, 1.8 bWAR

• gbyanks says:

bonifaco had an awful first half of 2013 he rebounded well but his first half number are off from his career. i got carried away with the trade idea. somtimes you just keep adding on. just felt i needed more then cervelli cause bonifaco would give the royals alot of versatility

• RetroRob says:

Isn’t he also a horrible fielder?

• forensic says:

Just based on a quick look at FG defensive numbers, he looks like he’s probably about average at 2B alone. Little above or little below each year.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

I really haven’t seen him enough to judge, but his defensive metrics seem decent enough outside of SS and CF.
              A lot of split up playing time and SSS’s though, so I wouldn’t put a whole lot of stock in those numbers anyways.

• forensic says:

I will admit a slight interest in Bonifacio filling in at 2nd, likely only because he helped my fantasy team out the last few weeks of the year.

But, that’s a huge overpay that I wouldn’t go near and he’s certainly got implosion potential, such as how he played for Toronto just last season.

• gbyanks says:

ok how about cervelli straight up?

• forensic says:

I don’t know enough about their contract and player situations to give a real opinion about whether Cervelli (and/or Nunez) would get him. Neither of them have much value, but neither does Bonifacio, in truth. Basing it on your theory that the Royals have signed Infante, I would think moving Bonifacio would be talked about, but no idea what it would take.

I do know I wouldn’t include one of those pitchers for him though.

8. TWTR says:

I don’t know what Hal is still willing to spend, but even though they have multiple needs, the first priority, I think, has to be Tanaka.

• nycsportzfan says:

Definetly. I’d argue Tanaka was the number 1 priority outside maybe Brian McCann for the yanks this offseason.

• JGYank says:

If I had to put our needs in order I would say SP (Tanaka) 2B (either Infante/Ellis) RP (1 or 2 of Benoit/Balfour/Logan?) and 3B (Reynolds/Chavez). Maybe move RP ahead of 2b but that seems about right to me. The rotation is the most important since our #5 starter is unknown and we probably won’t get much from that spot, CC is still a question mark, Nova is inconsistent, and Kuroda tends to fade down the stretch. The pen needs work, but I’m not sure how much they are willing to spend to improve it. At least we still have Drob and Kelley. I would prefer Kelley Johnson to be a utility guy but if worse comes to worse I guess he could play 2b or 3b.

9. art vandelay says:

alright peeps, I need some fantasy football advice … I have one open WR spot, who should I start?

Alshon Jeffery
    Julian Delman
    or
    Riley Cooper

Thanks !~

• forensic says:

I would say Alshon Jeffery.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Jeffrey has been very good to me this season.

I was watching Cooper throughout. A bit more hit or miss.

Go Jeffrey.

• nycsportzfan says:

Jeffrey.

I have similar issue. Jordy Nelson or Riley Cooper?

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I can’t quit Jordy. I just can’t. He basically has Eduardo Nunez throwing to him right now, but I’ve started him every week no matter.

I picked up Michael Crabtree off the waiver wire and have thought about starting him over Jordy if Rodgers sits again. I just know Jordy’s too good a damn receiver to sit, even if he’s barely touched 10 points a week since Rodgers went down.

10. nycsportzfan says:

Whats the deal with Howie Kendrick? Are the Angels asking to much? I thought they were in the hunt for pitching. If so, i’m surprised a David Phelps and Mark Montgomery package woulden’t work? Everyones talking about that devestating Slider Montgomery has, and Phelps has shown the ability to be used multiple ways and seems to be on his way to being a solid ML starter.

11. MD says:

I know it has to be a huge, modern, CGI FX driven, tent-pole picture — but can we just leave Godzilla’s roar alone?

Accept no substitutes….

• Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

They really haven’t altered it much. It’s still the same fundamental sound just without the…reverb, I guess you could say.

12. Newman says:

Bye bye Joba. Best of luck, dude. That one friggin’ span of power out of the pen was gorgeous.

13. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Looks like Boone’s going to Colorado.

14. Aproven32 says:

Why is everybody so opposed to Nunez playing 2nd, feel he could but respectable umbers fo hardly any money. Use the 8 mil they would spend on infante and use for bullpen help

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Because Nunez has been respectable when?

• Aproven32 says:

Nunez can bat .260-.280 with 30+ stolen bases for minimal money, just feel that money should be spent on a more glaring need like bullpen

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

He’s done that, for any consistent period of time, when? How was his defense during that period?

Pure guesswork. After spending what this has spent thus far, squinting really hard and a prayer is not what I want at second base.

I’d like to see them bring in one vet as insurance against someone like Kelley not being able to handle the 8th, but that’s about it.

• Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

He might hit that, but his OBP will still only be in the .290-.310 range and he’ll probably still be a butcher on defense.

15. dc1874 says:

Anyone else watch Cricket on TV ?? I started watching now that baseball is over and it seems pretty cool to play!!

• The Big City of Dreams says:

I’ve watched it a few times on tv. My uncle took my cousin and I to a field in Brooklyn where various teams play each other. I never liked it as a kid but my dad loved cricket. It was his fav. sport probably next to soccer.

16. Anthropologique says:

I’d be biting my nails if Nunez was made the everyday 2B.