Jan

Yankees sign Scott Sizemore to minor league deal

(Thearon W. Henderson/Getty)

(Thearon W. Henderson/Getty)

The Yankees have added to their infield depth. The Kens (Rosenthal and Davidoff) report the team has signed infielder Scott Sizemore to a minor league contract that I assume includes an invitation to Spring Training as well. He passed up two guaranteed Major League offers to sign with New York according to Joel Sherman.

Sizemore, 29, showed some promise with the Tigers and Athletics back in 2011, hitting .245/.342/.399 (109 wRC+) with 11 homers and a 12.4% walk rate in 429 plate appearances. He has played only two games these last two years after tearing and re-tearing his left ACL. Sizemore, who has primarily been a second and third baseman throughout his career, is expected to be ready in time for camp.

The Yankees need a third baseman in the wake of Alex Rodriguez‘s suspension and Sizemore is as good a candidate for the job as anyone currently in the organization. He would remain under team control as an arbitration-eligible player through 2016 and effectively replaces David Adams as a right-handed hitting second/third baseman who has shown promise with the bat. Could be a nice little signing if Sizemore gets healthy and shows his 2011 production was not a fluke.

Categories : Transactions

1. Matt DiBari says:

“The Yankees need a third baseman and right now Sizemore is as good a candidate for the job as anyone in the organization.”

What a stirring endorsement of an organization that needed no overhaul this off season, right Hal?

2. Roy munson says:

Over/under on how many people play third base for the yanks this year?

3. Crusty says:

I like this sort of signing more than I would a signing of someone like Mark Reynolds. At least there is potential, at least he has shown that he can field the position well and was a decent hitter.

Reynolds and Young are negatives in the field, big negatives, and I am glad that the Yankees do not seem to be going in their direction.

• mitch says:

Agreed. I like pretty much any minor league deal.

I think Reynolds made more sense under the Arod 50 game suspension scenario, but now they need an everyday guy. I can deal with a platoon at either 2nd or 3rd but not both. That means either signing Drew to play out of position or making a trade.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

If this whole “only offered Reynolds an MiLB” thing is true, and not just outdated news, then they may have wanted Reynolds to compete for the job and not just win it outright. I can understand that.

4. FLYER7 says:

Does that leave Kelly Johnson as Tex’s backup?

• Chip Rodriguez says:

Johnson’s there for 2B once Roberts gets injured.

• RetroRob says:

That’s one of the questions I keep coming back to. Who is the backup at first? Tex is not playing 162 games. He’s at an age and with recent injuries he should be pulled back to the 140s. Worse, what would happen if he was injured again? That’s why I figured Reynolds would end up on the team since he can play third and first. I believe Young has, too, although not sure how much.

Who is their 1B’man in AAA?

• forensic says:

Eh, back-up first baseman is about the last thing I’m concerned about with this team. If Tex isn’t on the DL, he’ll play the vast majority of the games. They’ll work out McCann over there too, I’m sure. Kelly Johnson could fake it too. I actually wouldn’t be surprised if they even tried Soriano over there for a couple games in ST to see if that works too.

5. Deal is now official apparently.

6. zs190 says:

It’s as if David Adams never left

7. dkidd says:

watch david adams ops .760 with sterling d for cleveland

8. Dalek Jeter says:

Idk how to feel about this signing other than “meh.” I mean part of me wants to be excited because the Oliver projection is really very positive for him (.257/.345/.415 wRC+ of 112 and a fWAR of 3.8 in 143 games) meanwhile the Steamer projection projects he will only appear in 49 games. Add to this the fact that the Yankees recent history of dumpster diving for position players hasn’t been anywhere near their success of dumpster diving for pitchers and I’m at a solid “meh.”

9. HeavyHitter says:

In 1966, after finishing in last place, the Yankees traded Roger Maris for a 29 year old third baseman named Charley Smith. History took 47 years to repeat itself. Collecting replacement-level players is the sign of a franchise rotting from within. Cashman is good at some things, but he’s no Epstein or Daniels. The key to prolonging a dynasty is a vibrant farm system and the Yankees’ farm system has sucked for a long time. Heads must roll.

10. LitFig says:

Given that it’s a no risk, all reward signing, how can they lose?

His 2011 numbers were good, and you can have a Sizemore/Johnson platoon at 3rd. Not ideal, but who do you get to play 3B at this stage? It’s not like MLB is overflowing with good 3B. I would rather get above average D and below average O (Sizemore/Johnson) than average O and way below average D (Reynolds/Young), especially hitting 8th/9th.

The heart of our order is going to have to really bring the thunder this year. 3b, 2b and SS will all likely be average to below average. Jeter has to show he can hit for power for me to consider it above average production, esp with the ankle injuries and no range.

11. Big John Stud says:

Thank God! Our long national nightmare is over!

Seriously, why is David Adams not still in the org? Watch as Cleveland gives him a chance and he adds more than Roberts and Sizemore.

• jjyank says:

Would you have given Adams a Major League deal?

• TWTR says:

I would, but the Yankees shouldn’t have because they have shown no willingness to endure his learning curve.

• jjyank says:

Or…Adams hasn’t really done anything to warrant a major league deal, regardless of what “learning curve willingness” the Yankees have for guys too old to be real prospects.

I was pretty surprised he got a major league deal, and I think most people were as well.

• TWTR says:

He probably hasn’t to this point in terms of his performance given his age, unless a team has a conviction about his potential upside.

OTOH, the Yankees’ 3B options are so thin (and it was foreseeable that they likely would be last season), it’s not unreasonable to think that a willingness to endure his learning curve should have been more of a priority.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

David Admas was in the organization for how long?

I like him. He grows on trees.

• trr says:

Did you ever see Adams play? He was terrible

• RetroRob says:

Because every org has a David Adams. That’s why Ana and now Sizemore are on the team. They’re some other org’s David Adams.

12. TWTR says:

All the more reason that Tanaka is a must-sign.

13. Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Nice little depth signing. I liked him with the A’s. Could be a piece if he’s fully recovered.

The trade market never materialized. This is what’s out there. Shoot for ceiling, I guess.

14. Cuso says:

I like the sign. Now we need to hook him up to the Frankenbrosius machine and transplant the other Scott’s brainwaves into this Scott’s body.

15. LarryM Fl says:

Like a needle in a haystack if this signing pans out.

16. forensic says:

I’m not expecting anything from him, but this is far from one of those MiLB deals that I really hate. This could actually be useful for a short time (this is the kind of deal that Brian Roberts should’ve been in line for, not a guaranteed couple million dollars). He’s at least always had some semblance of on-base skills. Not sure how his defense is though.

Truthfully, I basically forgot he even existed since he hasn’t played in seemingly forever.

I know he’s almost 2nd most hated in the Org (but for very different reasons than A-Rod), but I disagree with Cashman about Nunez. Though his quote was about him being a stopgap, which isn’t that far-fetched given his increased volatility when moving around positions. Maybe as a nearly everyday player he’d be better though.

I don’t know why I keep going back to him, though. I guess I just don’t really see him being worse than the outside options, especially considering he’s already in the org, is cheaper than the others, and at least has some speed.

17. RetroRob says:

A step above a dumpster dive. If healthy, could actually contribute.

Signings like this, though, still make me wonder if they’re exploring Plan 189 again, or at least not making any commitments to slightly more expensive players until they know what happens with Tanaka. No Tanaka, and Plan 189 is back.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Depends what Tanaka would have gotten from someone else if he’s not a Yankee, I guess.

FWIW, MLBTR is saying Tanaka wants to play in a city where his family will feel comfortable dieting heir lack of English, wants to contend, doesn’t mind the pressure, etc. this is coming down to whatever NY or CA team wants him more.

18. Bobby D says:

Again i cant believe we are actually debating who is going to play third base!! This team does NOT HAVE ANYWHERE NEAR ENOUGH PITCHING TO CONTEND!! If anyone thinks that getting Tanaka a completely unproven major league pitcher and teaming him with Sabathia, Kuroda and Nova is going to make this team a contender then I also have some swamp land in Jersey for you!! We need two starters and a closer. Until the Yanks accomplish that all this talk about possible infield options is nonsense.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Yes, mom.

Nice tits.

• jjyank says:

So the Yankees aren’t allowed to look at other wholes just because you say so? Third base is a hole. The order at which this shit is looked at probably doesn’t matter. It requires addressing, whether you say so or not.

19. The Thumb says:

Got this snippet from MLBTR:

“Rodriguez’s suspension gives the Yankees millions in salary relief, a situation that The Denver Post’s Troy Renck and FOX Sports’ Gabe Kapler both see as a sign that MLB needs to do more to penalize teams who have players suspended for PED violations. Renck suggests that wins could be removed from a team’s record, while Kapler suggests that a team should pay a suspended player his full salary, but the player would then have to donate his salary while under suspension to an MLB-approved charity.”

Really shows how deep the Yankee-hate runs for some people. Renck’s suggestion is just flat out stupid. How would you take away wins? Subtract that player’s WAR? If they have a negative WAR do you gain a win? Which win do you subtract and how does that change everyone else’s stats? Just stupid.

I guarantee if a star player on their favorite team were suspended they would call it unfair treatment because their team “didn’t know.” I swear so many baseball fans/media alike can be such bitches.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Kapler is obviously mad that someone with the most Jewish name in the history of baseball never got to be a Yankee.

• RetroRob says:

Quite a bit of stupid out there, and looks like you unfortunately stumbled across two of them in the form of Renck and Kapler.

I guess both of them believe this should also be extended to all of us, with our businesses monitoring everything we do.

• Cuso says:

I heard Kapler on Sirius last night spouting the same shit. He sounded like an idiot. He opened his interview basically whining that the Yankees were now going to have enough money to go after Tanaka. Then he quasi-realized how butt-hurt he sounded and backtracked and said “I just think the Yankees should be punished, too.”

Of course this only applies to the Yankees because they’re the only team that “knew” their player was juicing. He didn’t have the courage to come out and slander them.

His article is based on the entire premise that the Yankees had actual (not constructive) knowledge that A-Rod was juicing when they gave him that contract.

It’s a pure Yankee-hate article that is merely given credence because a former player stated it. A player that was right smack in the middle of the steroid era but loves referencing that he “raised his hand” during an HBO special in 2000 claiming that PEDs were a problem. He, therefore, can preach on high from the pulpit.

Fucking disgrace. More so that Fox actually ran with the article.

• Caballo Sin Nombre says:

It’s important to change the rules to make them as harsh as possible whenever it’s about the Yankees.