Jan

It’s official: Brian Roberts is a Yankee

The Yankees have officially signed Brian Roberts to a one-year contract, the team announced. He gets a $2M base salary plus another $2.6M in plate appearance-based incentives. Joel Sherman has a breakdown of the incentives, which don’t kick in until 250 plate appearances but escalate rapidly thereafter. Roberts gets the 40-man roster spot that was vacated by Alex Rodriguez when he was placed on the restricted list following the announcement of his 162-game suspension.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. I think his name value is worth more than his production at this point, but if he can manage to stay healthy for most of the season (we have no indication that this is the case) I think him and Kelly Johnson will make a nice tandem at 2B. Now all NYY needs to take care of now is 3B,SP,RP and they are set! Still a long list of needs, but I am way more optimistic about the team now than I was at this point last year.

• BK2ATL says:

We’ll need some really decent/good backups available. I’m wondering if Baker is back on the radar now that A-Rod’s situation is pretty much final. And that said, he’s only played 10 games at 2B and 14 games at 3B over the past 2 years. But at least he hits LHP pretty well.

Scott Sizemore doesn’t do much to dispel the IF need.

There are real question marks at every IF position, except C. I include Tex in that, because he’s back after a year off due to injury, not sure what the realistic expectations could be for him either.

Really not sure what the plan is for 2014 and beyond for 2B, SS and 3B. Well, I guess 2015 depends on how rapidly Jagielo develops and how fast they move him.

• lightSABR says:

A quick look at Roberts’ recent stats didn’t leave me very excited – he hasn’t hit above 100 wRC+ since 2010 – but looking into his and Johnson’s splits suggests you’re right. If you could use them as a strict platoon, with Roberts against lefties and Johnson against right-handers, you could probably still get nearly 110 wRC+ out of them.

Given the state of the infield, though, I suspect they won’t be a strict platoon, and we’re going to see way more of Roberts’ 79 wRC+ against lefties than I like.

But still, you’re right: these signings are nothing like as bad as I thought, now that I’ve looked into them.

2. Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

Seriously? At this time last year we still had a healthy Tex and Grandy, as well as Cano.

Why are you more optimistic? and this is coming from an accused polyanna.

3. Cuso says:

This just in:

Brian Roberts broke his kidney as he finished signing the contract. He has been placed on the 15-day DL instead of the 60-day DL because the Yankees believe he will be like a trade-deadline acquisition and that want that 40-man roster spot filled because A-Rod keeps trying to sneak on to the 40-man bus.

4. LarryM Fl says:

I like the way Brian Roberts plays the game. He seems to make good contact ,fields ok and runs well. He made good contact against MO from my recollection. Not necessarily for average but balls in play. I hope that he has something left in the tank.

When you look at the way this team is constructed presently. It appears Kelly Johnson will be getting much playing time all over the field.

• TheEvilUmpire says:

I think the question is not whether he can produce, its whether he can stay on the field. Any incentives he earns over 250 PA should be well worth it.

Now that I’ve said that, he’ll end up being the second coming of Miguel Cairo at the plate. Of course Girardi will love him and leave a .400 hitting Kelly Johnson on the bench.

• nsalem says:

.792 OBP vs Mariano

5. Jim Cavanaugh says:

I think Roberts will have a solid year. He will get the rest he needs and will likely get plenty of chances to hit with runners on. I understand people overall are hesitant about him but i like his shit to succeed here.

6. Jim Cavanaugh says:

Oops EDIT !!! haha

I think Roberts will have a solid year. He will get the rest he needs and will likely get plenty of chances to hit with runners on. I understand people overall are hesitant about him but i like his shot to succeed here.

7. TWTR says:

I really have no idea what to expect. At a minimum, I hope he can be a placeholder until a better option materializes.

8. lou says:

This team did upgrade they upgraded their outfield, the DH position seems more stable and they upgraded at C a gaping hole since Posada has left. I’m not to keen on their infield after Tex. 2b is a hole, there is no 3b and Jeter is up in the air. Yankees still need to go out and get an every day player not a cycle of benach guys to play 2b and 3b. If they don’t and Jeter can’t play SS Yankees are in big trouble thinking they are going to get by with the cycle of platoons at thoese 3 positions.

9. Jorge Steinbrenner says:

At the very least, there’s the beginning of some actual depth behind what are shaping up to be pretty shaky options at second at third. This is why I’m usually bullish on Scott Sizemore. The combination of infielders the team’s brought in, at the very least, should hold the team off from playing some of the awful options that were in the lineup by May.

Not saying I’m liking it, or that I’m optimistic but, if they’re going cheap at 2B and 3B due to a lack of realistic options that weren’t over-inflated pricewise due to demand, they’re doing about as a good a job as can be.

I’ll go pray for Chase Headley to get caught with something nasty, but not too nasty, in Tijuana now.

10. The Great Gonzo says:

OK… wellp. Brian Roberts.

I can honestly hope that he will provide what Pronk did last April, which is a dead cat bounce and keep the Yankees in a couple of games.

Anything more than that would be a huge bonus.

11. Laz says:

I have no problem with the bonuses for him.
    I think that if he is healthy enough to get them all, then he will have been well worth it.

12. Farewell Mo says:

Really, what’s the over/under on games played, maybe 60?

I hope they have a viable plan B because this move reminds me of when they signed Nick Johnson.

13. Grover says:

You guys worry too much. Let Tanaka play out and sign with Dodgers before you jump off the cliff. This year’s handcuffed Ninja Cashman has improved the team while saving money.