Jan

Report: MLB tells teams to implement security screening by 2015

Via Ronald Blum: MLB has informed the 30 clubs they must implement security screening for fans by 2015. The league specifically asked for metal detectors, either walk-through or hand-held wands. “This procedure, which results from MLB’s continuing work with the Department of Homeland Security to standardize security practices across the game, will be in addition to bag checks that are now uniform throughout MLB,” said a league spokesman.

The league tested the new screening system in a handful of ballparks last year, as well as at the All-Star Game and World Series. They started looking for ways to improve security following the Boston Marathon bombing last year. The NFL upgraded its security procedures this season, so MLB is not alone. I’ve never felt unsafe at a baseball game or any sporting event in general, but it seems like the screening is happening whether we like it or not. Get to the game early, I guess.

Categories : Asides, Yankee Stadium

1. KenC says:

Eh whatever. They do it everytime I go to the Barclays Center anyways

2. RetroRob says:

Better to start it now in the hopes it either catches a terrorist act before it happens, or discourages it from happening. No need to wait for something bad to happen first.

3. Jarrod says:

Makes sense given how significant a target a baseball (or any sporting) game could be, especially Yankee Stadium.

4. Mister D says:

“So if you’re planning on doing any terrorism, make sure you do it next season or else you might not get to!”

5. Dalek Jeter says:

Meh, I don’t mind too much, the most I ever try to sneak in is a flask.

6. Oscar Azocar says:

More slave training for the masses! Enjoy, drunkards!

Odds of Dying by Terrorist Attack? 20,000,000 to 1.
    Odds of dying in a motor vehicle accident? 108 to 1.

• Mister D says:

We also try to reasonably mitigate auto deaths, right?

• nsalem says:

a) Those certainly are not the odds in NYC
      b) If you knew enough people whose lives were dramatically altered by 9/11 I don’t think you would make that comment.

• Laz says:

It is generally the point though.
        People fear the large scale disaster, and in the process are willing to overlook the much bigger danger.

• Mister D says:

Right, and there’s the famous comp of how much more likely it was to die falling down the stairs versus having your Pinto catch fire. Does not mean ignore the lower percentage event.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

It’d be interesting to look more into what metal detectors are actually successful at, etc., and what true deterrents are.

We love feeling safe in NYC. We also don’t like being fed a bag of bullshit in the name of safety. We like things that work, not theater.

I have no clue what the odds are here. I live my life feeling generally safe.

• Mister D says:

And if someone really wanted to kill you, they could and that sucks and its life. I just don’t really love the knee-jerk backlash to metal detectors. Its not the damn NSA or something insanely intrusive.

• OldYanksFan says:

I agree… although the mandatory cavity searches for fans wearing Red Sox caps might be going to far.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Agreed.

For me it’s more of a matter of making it efficient, targeted, and making sure it’s the best course of action to do what you want it to do.

I worked in a school with metal detectors. There was still a shooting while I was there. Those kids were late to classes sometimes because of the lines that built up, yet no one was watching the side door. Stuff like that.

• Oscar Azocar says:

The National Counterterrorism Center has been compiling worldwide deaths of private U.S. citizens due to terrorism since 2005. Terrorism is defined as “premeditated, politically motivated violence, perpetrated against noncombatant targets by subnational groups or clandestine agents.”

In 2010 (the latest report), 15 Americans were killed in terrorist attacks; nine died in 2009; 33 in 2008; 17 in 2007; 28 in 2006; and 56 in 2005. The vast majority of private U.S. citizens killed in terrorist attacks died in the war zone countries of Iraq and Afghanistan. So the sad tally of Americans killed by terrorists around the world since 2005 comes to a total of 158, yielding an annual rate 16 Americans killed by terrorists outside of the borders of the United States.

Taking these figures into account, a rough calculation suggests that in the last five years, your chances of being killed by a terrorist are about one in 20 million. This compares annual risk of dying in a car accident of 1 in 19,000; drowning in a bathtub at 1 in 800,000; dying in a building fire at 1 in 99,000; or being struck by lightning at 1 in 5,500,000. In other words, in the last five years you were four times more likely to be struck by lightning than killed by a terrorist.

The National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism (START) has just published, Background Report: 9/11, Ten Years Later [PDF]. The report notes, excluding the 9/11 atrocities, that fewer than 500 people died in the U.S. from terrorist attacks between 1970 and 2010. The report adds, “From 1991-2000, the United States averaged 41.3 terrorist attacks per year. After 2001, the average number of U.S. attacks decreased to 16 per year from 2002-2010.”

“reasonably mitigate” is a key phrase. Unwarranted searches for something with odds of 20 million to 1 vs 108 (or 19,000, depending on which stat you trust) to 1 is in no way reasonable.

Innocent people around the world die from terrorism, drone strikes, starvation, and hundreds of other horrible things every day. They are all equally human and therefore equally sad-making.

• rogue says:

I’m a Lew Rockwell man myself. And I’m a 9/11 truther. Did you get that NSA?

That said, this is the continuation of our eroding liberties and dignity. It’s one of the reasons I don’t fly anymore.

7. Matt :: Sec110 says:

I read somewhere that the Yanks will have this in place for 2014.

8. Gouchonyy says:

What else will the Yankees keep me from bringing into the park.They already ban iPads (no other parks do.) Will they ban extra lenses for an DSLR camera? Any food, regardless of how packed? I’m sure they’ll take advantage of the security measures.

9. Jtt2856 says:

They have been doing this at Tigers/Red Wings games for so long that I was pretty surprised this wasn’t mandatory at every other stadium.

10. monkeypants says:

More security theater, more thing MLB teams will ban from you bringing into the park (with the excuse that it’s for national security!), more things to make you buy at the park, higher ticket prices as the cost of security is offloaded onto the clubs, who pass it on to you. Less personal freedom.

11. Jorge Steinbrenner says:

It’ll make the lines longer and me grumpier. Nothing I haven’t had to deal with at a thousand other places, including the public schools I’ve worked at, for at least ten years.

There’s something about emptying the bullshit out of my pockets and, especially, taking my belt off that just gives me the grumps.

12. W.B. Mason Williams says:

Let’s see how many disguises A-Rod can buy.

13. OldYanksFan says:

Death from Terrorism is uncool.
    Since 2001, there have been some 350,000 alchohol related deaths.
    BEER HERE!

• Mister D says:

You know how many deaths there have been from exceeding 80 years old? Whatever! I don’t care about denominators either!

14. OldYanksFan says:

In case you haven’t thrown up lately, there’s this:

15. nsalem says:

Sadly our country is at war. Unlike other wars the United State has fought it is often not the primary news story and many of us spend long periods of time not thinking about it The fact remains though we are at war and there are people inside our borders who are hellbent on destroying the way we live. it is a shame that to maintain our safety and way of life we lose some of our personal freedoms, but I personally feel we have no other choice.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Way beyond the scope of a baseball site, but I don’t consider having to submit to a set of rules in order to enter a sports stadium losing a personal freedom. I consider it part of the contract between myself and that venue.

16. BIGBROTHER says:

Getting closer and closer to a police state. Americans are so fucking stupid.

17. Pags says:

I can’t believe anyone would actually support this. If I am a bad dude, I can bring a weapon to the Bronx, stand outside the Stadium and start picking off all the people waiting in a queue to get searched for a metal detector. Just like you could do now.

In fact, you could probably hurt more people this way than if you went into the Stadium with a weapon b/c everyone is so closely crowded together before the game. The lines are awful now, as most people know. This accomplishes NOTHING.

18. The Rockefellers says:

The plan is working beautifully. Keep drinking beer and watching grown men slap each other on the butt, my slaves. Muahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!! Sports fans will fall for ANYthing!!!! Muauahahahahahahahahah!!!!

19. Derek Jeter says: