Jan

Yankees sign Bruce Billings, re-sign Yoshinori Tateyama

Via Matt Eddy: The Yankees have signed right-hander Bruce Billings to a minor league contract. I’m not sure if he received an invitation to Spring Training. The 28-year-old had a 4.31 ERA (3.96 FIP) in 148.1 innings for the Athletics’ Triple-A affiliate last summer. He’s been at that level for four years now. Billings has four big league appearances to his credit, allowing ten runs in seven innings for the Rockies and A’s back in 2011. He’ll be counted on to soak up innings for Triple-A Scranton this summer.

The Yankees have also re-signed righty Yoshinori Tateyama to a minor league deal, according to Eddy. They acquired him from the Rangers for cash in the middle of last season. Tateyama, 38, had a 1.70 ERA (2.18 FIP) in 42.1 innings for Triple-A Scranton after the trade. He has 61 innings of big league experience, posting a 5.75 ERA (4.54 FIP) for Texas from 2011-12. Tateyama’s fun to watch because hes a sidearmer who throws a screwball. Here’s proof. I don’t think either he or Billings will have much of a chance to see time with the Yankees in 2014 unless something goes horribly, horribly wrong. They’re (deep) depth moves.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. Steve says:

Prediction: Tateyama will be called up for one game in the early summer. He will pitch 1 inning of 2 run baseball and be DFA’d the next day.

2. CONservative governMENt says:

Trying to build up a Japanese contingent to leverage their Tanaka negotiations.

3. Mike says:

Hey you never know one of these guys might catch lightning in a bottle for a season like aaron small did and help in a pinch but most likely they’ll never be seen or heard from

4. Poconos Adam says:

I like Billings — for the reason that he has nowhere to go but to pitch every 5th day in S/WB. They need to have these type of guys so they don’t have to move the important prospects around too much.

Just let the kids pitch where they belong and have the Billings/Brian Gordons and others of the AAA-AAAA world to lug the water around.

I don’t see the Yanks getting Tanaka and that means Garza or Jimenez on a bad contract (I fear). I’d rather settle for Arroyo on a 1-2 year deal than those guys.

Of course, I’d really like to see Tanaka in pinstripes.

• greenebeanzzz says:

REALLY terrified to think of Arroyo in the pinstripes. Fly ball pitcher with no zip on his fastball. Only good thing he’s got going is the fact that he’s an innings eater. But that doesn’t mean the ERA won’t be north of 5.00 in short Yankee stadium

• Poconos Adam says:

Yeah, can’t argue that — I guess I’m thinking too much about contracts and not enough about actual pitching!

I simply don’t have any faith in Garza/Jimenez and the idea of one of them as a 5 year noose on our neck scares the hell out of me!

5. Eric says:

“I don’t think either he or Billings will have much of a chance to see time with the Yankees in 2014 unless something goes horribly, horribly wrong.”

Can’t wait to see these guys in the Majors then!

6. The Great Gonzo says:

That sidearm screwball is SOOPER cool to watch. Imma guess he doesn’t do much else though, based on the fact that he’s floating in AAA/AAAA waters.

I would expect, much to Steve’s credit above, to see Tateyama come up to fill in a spot (possible double-header call up?). At which point we’ll all remember vaguely that we even had this guy, and he will get rocked by Oakland or KC and he’ll be gone again the next day…

Good morning, good afternoon, good night.

7. King of Fruitless Hypotheticals says:

So you’re saying Tateyama will end up being a PTBNL in a Pirates’ trade and then go 10-3 with a 2.64 ERA for the second half of the season?