Feb

2014 Spring Training broadcast schedule

Ah, Spring Training. (Star-Ledger)

Ah, Spring Training. (Star-Ledger)

Feb. 23rd: I’ve had lots of people ask, so here are the dates of the scheduled John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman radio broadcasts, courtesy of Sweeny Murti: February 28th, then March 8th, 9th, 15th, 16th, 18th, 20th, 22nd, 23rd, 25th, and 29th. Remember, the Yankees are now on WFAN, not WCBS 880.

Feb. 20th: The MLB Network broadcast schedule has been announced via press release and added below. All games listed are on YES and MLB.tv unless otherwise noted. Twenty-six of 32 exhbition games are currently scheduled to be broadcast, though there is still no word whether the games in Panama will be aired. I imagine they will.

Feb. 16th: The MLB.tv schedule has been released and added to the list below (all listed games on YES and MLB.tv unless otherwise noted). Twenty-four of 32 exhibition games are currently scheduled to be broadcast somewhere.

Feb. 11th: In roughly two weeks, Yankees baseball will be on your television. Both the YES Network and ESPN released their Spring Training broadcast schedules today, which include 16 of the team’s 32 exhibition games. That’s actually down from 19 broadcasts last year. I guess that’s what happens when you miss the postseason. We’re still waiting for MLB Network and MLB.tv to release their schedules, so when it’s all said and done, something like 24 or 25 Grapefruit League games will be broadcast.

The Yankees and Marlins are supposed to play a pair of exhbition games in Panama on March 15-16th, but nothing has been officially announced yet. Right now the schedule says the Yankees will play the Orioles and Braves those days. I dunno, we’ll see. Here are the Spring Training games that will be broadcast. All listed games start between 1-2 pm ET and are available on YES, unless otherwise noted.

• Thursday, February 27th vs. Pirates (also on MLBN tape delay)
  • Saturday, March 1st vs. Phillies (also on MLBN)
  • Sunday, March 2nd @ Blue Jays (live on MLB.tv only, also MLBN tape delay)
  • Monday, March 3rd vs. Nationals (also on MLBN)
  • Tuesday, March 4th vs. Orioles (7pm ET, also on MLBN)
  • Thursday, March 6th @ Phillies (MLBN and MLB.tv only)
  • Saturday, March 8th @ Astros (MLBN only)
  • Sunday, March 9th vs. Rays (also on MLBN tape delay)
  • Tuesday, March 11th @ Nationals (live on MLB.tv only, also MLBN tape delay)
  • Wednesday, March 12th vs. Tigers (also on MLBN)
  • Thursday, March 13th vs. Orioles (split squad)
  • Thursday, March 13th @ Phillies (split squad, MLB.tv only)
  • Friday, March 14th vs. Twins (also on MLBN tape delay)
  • Saturday, March 15th @ Orioles (MLBN and MLB.tv only)
  • Sunday, March 16th vs. Braves (also on MLBN tape delay)
  • Monday, March 17th @ Pirates (live on MLB.tv only, also MLBN tape delay)
  • Tuesday, March 18th vs. Red Sox (also on ESPN, also MLBN tape delay)
  • Thursday, March 20th @ Red Sox (7pm ET) (also on ESPN)
  • Friday, March 21st vs. Pirates (7pm ET, MLBN only)
  • Saturday, March 22nd @ Twins (live on MLB.tv only, also MLBN tape delay)
  • Sunday, March 23rd vs. Blue Jays (also on MLBN)
  • Tuesday, March 25th vs. Phillies (7pm ET, also on MLBN)
  • Wednesday, March 26th @ Blue Jays (live on MLB.tv only, also MLBN tape delay)
  • Thursday, March 27th @ Pirates (also on MLBN)
  • Saturday, March 29th vs. Marlins (7pm ET)

MLB Network will inevitably pick up a bunch of road games, but nearly all of the team’s home games at George M. Steinbrenner Field are available. I’ll update this post whenever MLBN releases their schedule.

Categories : Spring Training

31 Comments

1. Dalek Jeter says:

So…what you’re saying is I have skip my Thursday class on the 27st? Or at least leave it early.

2. Farewell Mo says:

Does anyone know if Sterling and Waldman are still doing the radio now that the Yankees are on WFAN?

• Andy says:

Yes, they are.

• Yankee$ (Formerly Pseudoyanks) says:

So, sorry, I live in Chicago (10 years now)…Yanks are on the FAN, where are the Mets now?

• Farewell Mo says:

On 770 WABC on tape delay after the Art Rust Jr. show I believe

• Yankee$ (Formerly Pseudoyanks) says:

I loved Art Rust Jr. He referred to Yankee Stadium as the Great Ball Orchard In The Bronx. I called into the show once and talked to Jerry Cooney….true story.

• Yankee$ (Formerly Pseudoyanks) says:

Oops…Gerry Cooney. (Yes, I’m a Deadhead.)

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I must have been about 11 or 12 and called in once to sing the virtues of Scott Nielsen in the bullpen. He politely listened and asked me how old I was.

• Ggooglyboogly says:

Hey i’m a Yankee fan stuck in Chicago too! Get to see them nine times this year with the Milwaukee and Wrigley trips!

3. dkidd says:

the 3/18 game will take 5 hours and feature 2 bench-clearing brawls

4. Kenny says:

Really wish the first actual game was being shown.

5. mark says:

It’s odd they will play 2 games in Panama but nothing has been formally announced. Are they waiting for the day before the first game?

6. losealot101 says:

can you post the radio schedule. i miss sterling.

7. Vinny Bag-a-donuts says:

I have YES out of market (Philly). Does anyone know if the Spring Training games are blacked out? Thanks.

8. Steinbrenner's Ghost says:
  9. Steinbrenner's Ghost says:

10. Ben Sandberg says:

What about the Florida State Scrimmage on the 25th? Really looking forward to see jameis winston!

11. Ian says:

Both of the Panama games are split squad. I doubt that many major league Yankees or Marlins, if any, will make the trip. I bet that some retired Yankees (Possda, Tino etc.) may make the trip, and will be a nice feature on Yankees Magazine or a 1 hr special on YES after the fact.

12. OldYanksFan says:

Who knows what about Peter O’Brien?
    Is this guy a potential sleeper?

• Preston says:

Some people really like him. He definitely has big time power. But he’s already 23 and hasn’t played above A ball. He strikes out a ton, doesn’t walk much and he isn’t much of a defender. They tried moving him from C to 3b, and apparently decided he was better at C. He’s probably more of a 1b/Dh type guy, so it’s hard to see a lot of upside. Although I think the power is good enough that he’ll probably get a shot at some point. Maybe turn into a Michael Morse type?

• sjb23 says:

Preston says:

February 20, 2014 at 11:32 pm

**********************************
        I think this would be a good time to see if he can learn to play RF. 1B can be Plan B. Too much depth ahead of him at the C spot.

13. nycsportzfan says:

As exciting as this yrs Spring Training is gonna be with the infield comp and 5th starter comp, as well as reliever comp, I can’t wait for this.

APRIL 1st, 2014 Yankees @ Astros

CC Sabathia vs Scott Feldman

Jacoby Ellsbury CF
    Derek Jeter SS
    Carlos Beltran RF
    Mark Texiera 1B
    Brian McCann C
    Alphonso Soriano DH
    Kelly Johnson 3B
    Brian Roberts 2B
    Brett Gardner LF

• Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

OK, surely at this point it’s a gag with you. Right? RIGHT?!?

Otherwise, please learn how to fucking spell his fucking name.

• Preston says:

Seems like a waste to stack the switch hitters together. And I know they’re going to defer to Jeter at the top, and I know that Joe like to have the double leadoff guy by putting Gardner at 9, but I feel like Jeter is a double play hazard and it wastes Gardner’s on base ability to give him so many fewer at bats in the 9 hole. I’d rather see.

Gardner
      Ellsbury
      Beltran
      McCann
      Teixeira
      Soriano
      Johnson
      Jeter
      Roberts

And I know they promised Ellsbury he’d lead off but he’s got better power so he makes more sense in the two hole. And stacking the lefties doesn’t hurt that much because neither has a huge platoon split. Both have a career wRC+ of 96 against lefties.

• Preston says:

And I say this knowing full well that batting order isn’t really a big deal and I hope Derek Jeter proves me wrong by outhitting Brett all season long.

14. alan says:

Yankees/Nationals on 3/11 will be on MASN for those who live in/near DC/Baltimore area

15. The Other Mister D says:

Will the MLBTV only games be blacked out in the NY area?