Feb

Open Thread: 2/15 Camp Notes

Baseball activities! (Presswire)

Baseball activities! (Presswire)

With all the pomp and circumstance surrounding pitchers and catchers reporting now in the rear-view mirror, the Yankees held their first official workout today. Here is a recap of the day’s news from Tampa:

• Chad Jennings has the day’s bullpen and and batting practice groups. CC Sabathia, Hiroki Kuroda, Masahiro Tanaka, and Ivan Nova were among those to throw off a mound with various coaches and front office staff watching. Tanaka and Kuroda are catch partners and appear to have struck up a friendship already. Neato. [Meredith Marakovits, Dan Barbarisi]
  • Joe Girardi and the rest of the staff are very pleased with how Tanaka how adjusted so far and were impressed with his bullpen session. Tanaka said he was surprised by how much running they do, however. “The four laps we did at the end were pretty hard,” he joked. [Bob Nightengale, Marakovits, Bryan Hoch]
  • Manny Banuelos‘ elbow feels great and he expects to make his MLB debut at some point this year. He was touching 94 mph during simulated games late last year. “It’s been a long time and I’m happy to be back,” he said. Banuelos will throw live batting practice on Wednesday. [Hoch, Marakovits, Jennings]
  • Nova said he views Sabathia, Kuroda, and Tanaka as the only rotation locks and will treat this spring as if he’s competing for a job. “I’m still in a competition. Nothing is sure … I’m one of the young guys. I’ve got to be doing the best out there in the competition,” he said. [Hoch, Jennings]
  • Mark Teixeira went through some infield drills with first base coach Mick Kelleher and then did some work in the batting cage with hitting coach Kevin Long. He’s working his way back from season-ending wrist surgery. [Wally Matthews]
  • J.R. Murphy is going by John Ryan Murphy now. Apparently he had always gone by John Ryan, but people started calling him J.R. after he was drafted and he never bothered to correct anyone. [Sweeny Murti]
  • Right-hander Yoshinori Tateyama is not yet in camp because of a visa issue. He is a long shot to make the bullpen anyway. [Jennings]
  • And finally, there have been a number of upgrades made at George M. Steinbrenner Field. A new high-definition video board has been installed in left field and there’s a new scoreboard as well. [Hoch]

Here is tonight’s open thread. The NBA All-Star Skills Competition is on, as are the Olympics. You folks know how this stuff works by now, so have at it.

1. Vinny Bag-a-donuts says:

Looks like this is the team we are going in with. Being Jeter’s last year, he has to start the season at the top of the lineup, no? What is everyone’s prediction of the starting lineup?

• jjyank says:

I’m not gonna fill out a line up, but you’re right. Jeter is going to start at the top of the line up. Anyone who says otherwise is living in a video game world. This is Derek Jeter we’re talking about. Right or wrong, he’s gonna get a long leash at his line up spot.

• RetroRob says:

…as he should.

• Doc Ellis on Acid says:

If they want to end 2014 the same way they ended 2013. The difference is Mo and Pettitte were both still really good. Jeter? Not so much, and Jeter playing SS everyday may just be the reason they miss the playoffs.

• Mr. Roth says:

“The difference is Mo and Pettitte were both still really good. Jeter? Not so much”

Right, because during Jeter’s last healthy season he was so terrible. .316/.362/.429, 117wRC+…..What a washed up scrub.

• jjyank says:

Even if he’s no great shakes anymore, he’s still Derek Jeter. You’re a fool if you think he’s not at the top of the line up with an incredibly long leash.

• Adam says:

I’d be very surprised if Jeter leads off, I think they will lead off Ellsbury and bat Jeter 2nd and yes, he will get a very long leash with that second spot, as he should. But I bet you see it with Ellsbury first and Gardner ninth. Historically, Jeter’s best offensive numbers come when he bats second. This will not be lost on The Binder.

2. vicki says:

okay, but if you name your kid john ryan he’s going to get called JR.

3. Steve (different one) says:

He then added “I think this years rotation will be the best since we had Carston Charles and Allen James back in 2009″

4. lightSABR says:

12 days until I get to watch baseball… 12 days until I get to watch baseball…

5. Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Presented without comment:

This should keep some of you busy tonight on here.

• mustang says:

Not surprised at all and very interesting.

• mustang says:

“sadism (pleasure in the suffering of others)”

“Overall, the authors found that the relationship between sadism and trolling was the strongest, and that indeed, sadists appear to troll because they find it pleasurable. “Both trolls and sadists feel sadistic glee at the distress of others,” they wrote. “Sadists just want to have fun…and the Internet is their playground!”

• jjyank says:

So do trolls feel bad that the vast majority of us just laugh at their idiocy?

• mustang says:

I also think that sometimes people mix strong opposing opinions as trolling.

• mustang says:

Now this an example:

Now Farewell Mo thinks that I was trolling when I wasn’t I was just making light of the fact that he use Mike’s Drew thread as the end all of the Drew discussion. I Think Farewell Mo said something like “if you read Mike’s breakdown on Drew you would see he is the perfect fit”. I just found it funny because Mike’s thread is an educated opinion open to refute just like our comments.

• Farewell Mo says:

You didn’t voice any opinion at all with that comment in the last thread, you were just looking to tweak me which is essentially trolling.

• mustang says:

It wasn’t meant to tweak you it was meant to make light of your stand on Drew and more your opinion on the worth of Mike’s thread. Now if you took it as me trying to tweak you that on you.

I didn’t take this :

Mustang says:
              February 8, 2014 at 4:41 pm
              For another left-handed batter that mostly played SS and who numbers drop like rock outside of Fenway.
              Farewell Mo says:
              February 8, 2014 at 5:07 pm
              Because we all know that lefties in Yankee stadium are a bad fit, right?

Ask tweak on me you were just making light on my opinion.

• mustang says:

Here is your full comment don’t want miss quote you dude:
                Farewell Mo says:
                February 8, 2014 at 5:05 pm
                ” Me want…. if it doesn’t fit lets make it fit …..at all cost… because me want”
                Where you are wrong is that Drew fits extremely well. Try reading Mike’s assessment of signing Drew anobit would make perfect sense to anyone open minded, more so if he’d opt out after 1 season and the Yankees could let someone else pay of some of his declining years.

• Chip Rodriguez says:

So internet trolls are sadists, but non-internet trolls are Red Sox second basemen. Huh.

6. Farewell Mo says:

I don’t know who I’m more psyched to see this year, ManBan or Pineda.
    Gotta love those young power arms.

7. Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

I’m afraid that I will keep referring to him as “J.R.”

That’s the price he has to pay!

8. So…would any of you fine folks be interested in possibly making an RAB fantasy league this year?

9. Mister D says:

Looks like somebody didn’t want to live up to TJ Oshie’s huge standards as an initialed player. What a choker. Way to draft, Cashman.

10. Farewell Mo says:

Too bad about Mark Mulder blowing out his achilles on what, the 1st or 2nd day of his comeback. His son was apparently heartbroken that he won’t get a chance to see his father pitch in the majors.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Oh jeez. That sucks.

Reminds me of my dad coming out to play football with me as a teen and breaking his collarbone on the first play.

11. PaulP says:

I love the stuff about the pitchers…

“J.R. Murphy is going by John Ryan Murphy now. Apparently he had always gone by John Ryan, but people started calling him J.R. after he was drafted and he never bothered to correct anyone. [Sweeny Murti]”

So he’s going from a prospect to an assassin?

12. Wheels says:

heh, or an actor.

13. jim p says:

About radio: so do I have this right? I’ll be able to hear Yankee games on FM, in English, now? It was always a drag when they played day games, because it’s hard to get an AM signal in an office building. Thanks.

14. RetroRob says:

Sorry John Ryan, but you’re J.R.

Deal with it.

15. Joe says:

16. Joe says:

Jeter will bat second. Thats if hes up to it. Hes the safety net for who bats third. Have to make sure someones on when the meat of the order comes to the plate. Jeters going to bat .310 with 19 hrs this year

17. BigLoving says:

Lineup could go a lot of different ways I’m anxious to see what Girardi decides. Considering who has the day off the lineup could really be based on whose bat is the hottest at the momen. Personally I’d go…..

Jeter
    Ellsbury
    Beltran
    Soriano
    McCann
    Tex
    Roberts
    Johnson
    Gardner

18. Tanakapalooza Floozy says:

Dumpster not pitching in 2014 for “medical reasons” but not retiring. So I guess his vagina is sore?

19. Doc Ellis on Acid says:

It is amazing to me that Jeter playing SS most days and hitting atop the lineup could be the reason they miss the playoffs. If any thing, he should be a DH 80% of f the time and a SS maybe 10% of the time, when they don’t have a lefty or a groundballer on the mound.

Instead, the captain will go down with the ship.

• Mr. Roth says:

You realize that if Jeter is DHing 80% of the time, then either Gardner, Beltran, or Soriano will most likely be on the bench a combined 80% of the time?

Lay off the dirty acid, it’s ruining your mind.