Feb

Open Thread: 2/19 Camp Notes

(Mike Carlson/Getty)

(Mike Carlson/Getty)

Position players reported to Spring Training today, but the day was all about Derek Jeter. He discussed his plan to retire following the season during a press conference this morning. You can watch the video right here if you haven’t seen it yet. Jeter said exactly what he wrote in his initial statement: things that used to come easy are a little more difficult, and he’s looking forward to starting the next chapter of his life. Here’s the rest from Tampa.

• As always, Chad Jennings has the day’s mound assignments. David Robertson, Matt Thornton, and David Phelps threw bullpen sessions while Manny Banuelos and Shawn Kelley were among those to face hitters in live batting practice. Adam Warren had been on the same schedule as Phelps, but he didn’t throw today and will instead throw live batting practice tomorrow. Seems like they are being lined up for some early Grapefruit League starts.
  • From what I can tell, all the position players reported today with no issue. No visa holdups or anything like that. The first full squad workout is tomorrow but Eduardo Nunez was already out taking ground balls at third base. [Bryan Hoch]
  • And, just in case you were wondering, Joe Girardi confirmed everyone has made it through Spring Training healthy so far. It has only been a week, but still. Health is good. [Jennings]

This is your open thread for the evening. Both the Knicks and Nets are playing, plus the Olympics are still on as well. You folks know how these things work by now, so have at it.

1. Alkaline says:

I cannot wait to see some games!

• I'm One says:

I always have trouble actually watching spring training games as most of them are daytime games (plus I only get ESPN and MLB Network). Still, I agree, can’t wait for the games!

• Alkaline says:

Yeah, I really appreciate seeing a game now anymore. A couple years ago immediately post college I was waiting for paperwork to get through to start working, so I had days off in the Spring. That was when ManBamnanmamam struck Youk out on that changeup. It was beautiful.

2. Steinbrenner's Ghost says:

It was a pretty good press conference.

Jeter is pretty deft wit a mic.

Makes me wonder if he would agree to being a color analyst for YES or even go national with Fox.

3. Farewell Mo says:

Has anyone seen the footage of Ray Rice dragging his unconscious fiancee out of an elevator in an AC casino after he alledgedly knocked her out?

Unbelievable

• Wicomico Pinstripes says:

Pretty crazy stuff. She was completely gone.

• Steinbrenner's Ghost says:

It’s been a tough off season for the NFL (Miami Dolphins scandal, Darren Sharper serial rape charges, homophobic personal directors/scouts, Ray Rice) and it’s only been two weeks.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Man, what do you expect? From the time they’re 12 or 13 they can literally do no wrong. Fail a test? Coach will talk to the teacher, and make it go away. Get caught bullying? Coach and principal will talk to the kid and his parents about how important it is that you play on Friday. Get caught cheating on a test? Beat rival college on Saturday and all of it will go away. Get caught speeding? Hey aren’t you star football player XYZ?! Nice meeting you! Slow down, I’m kidding though! Make that big catch/throw/run/tackle on Sunday! It’s only a matter of time that a certain type of person can be told “you can do no wrong” their entire life before they start doing literally whatever they want.

• I'm One says:

They’re certainly not all that way, but it is true with some elite athletes.

• Dalek Jeter says:

No, I agree. It’s absolutely true that most guys are stand up people. Derek Jeter, Robinson Cano, Peyton Manning, Larry Fitzgerald, even Richard Sherman all come to mind as guys who play their game and stay out of trouble off the field (sorry for the lack of basketball players, I don’t follow the NBA.) I’m just saying that there are different personalities who handle being told they are above everything poorly. I mean, look no further than Rice’s former teammate, Ray Lewis. The guy was literally caught in a blood covered tux and connected to the death of a man, and walked away with a slap on the wrist.

• Preston says:

I would guess that the crime rates of athletes aren’t higher than the average male of similar ages from similar socioeconomic backgrounds. And people get away with crimes all the time, (especially if they have the money for a proper defense). It just unusual for it to be plastered in the news, the way it is for an athlete.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I know it’s anecdotal evidence, but look at the NBA and MLB. I know I said I don’t follow the NBA, but I am aware of it. More-so than the MLB, the NBA’s athletes share similar socioeconomic backgrounds to their NFL counterparts and make on average more than twice as much, and while there are cases of NBA players acting outside the law it does seem more frequent and more egregious in the NFL.

• Preston says:

Your ignoring the difference in league size. There are fewer than 1/4 the players in the NBA, and fewer than half in the MLB. Not to mention the correlation between violence and success. There is no reason that being of a violent nature makes correlates to success in basketball, even less in baseball. There is a direct correlation to being of a violent and reckless nature and having success in the NFL. It should come as a surprise to no-one.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I’m not saying it’s a surprise, I’m actually saying quiet the opposite. I was just opining that something should be done about it, and if we as a society wanted to actually change, like a lot of problems it would have to start in middle and high schools.

• Preston says:

What changes are we going to make? Predicate playing a sport on being a nice young man. Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth were horrible human beings. I sure would love to see them play baseball though. The only difference is the media in those days profiteered in creating Gods out of ballplayers. Media members today profit in tearing them down. Ray Lewis didn’t get prosecuted for murder because there wasn’t enough evidence to prove he committed the crime. If anything prosecutors in this country tend to over-prosecute high profile cases (case in point the Duke Lacrosse case). Beyond a reasonable doubt is a hard standard to meet, as it should be. It isn’t athletes getting special treatment. It’s the difference between what stands up as evidence to a reporter and what is admissible in a court of law.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Or holding athletes, at any level, to the same standards (socially, academically, etc) as normal people. I can say with almost certainty that “professional athtete” has a higher per capita arrest rate than just about any other profession, and my argument is that the feeling of being above the law is a learned behavior.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Honestly, I think it all starts with coaches who make players believe that their locker room is what’s most important and that they’re beholden to team first and society second.

We should be promoting benign good citizens first and good teammates second. Your 30 year-old millionaire might have never ground beyond the troubled 17 year-old he was before you have him millions and looked the other way in college, yet still handed him a degree.

This happens even in schools in which the athletes don’t have a prayer of playing pro ball.

Just my oversimplified two cents. There’s no magic pill, in the end.

• nsalem says:

In 2008 Stephen Curry asked his for professor for an extension on a paper due on a Thursday morning because he was flying out on Wednesday night to Detroit for the NCAA Sweet 16. This was 24 hours before his team was supposed to leave. Within 30 minutes he received a phone call from Coach McKillop telling him he would not be getting on that plane unless the paper was not handed in. Some people still do it right.

• Dalek Jeter says:

That’s actually a really cool story, and it’s good to know that there are still some that do it right.

• forensic says:

The standards at Davidson are vastly different than the standards you’ll find at more athletically inclined Universities. You’ll find stuff like this in other leagues, like the Ivy and Patriot, but it’s far from the norm.

Regardless, this is really out of control with the NFL. I think it was last year that there were something like 75 arrests/police incidents involving NFLer’s just during the offseason. That’s absurd.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I agree with forensic. The amount of NFL players who are getting into legal trouble is just getting obscene.

• jjyank says:

Also agree. It certainly seems like, to me, NFL players get into an awful lot of legal trouble, more so than athletes of other sports.

I know baseball is supposed to be “America’s past time”, but let’s be real. Football is America’s sport. I think those players get a lot more leeway because of it.

Just my own personal anecdotal example: My high school had a terrible, terrible football team. Like, they won two games the entire season during my junior year. Senior year? The school dropped a million bucks on a brand new turf field for the football team. They went on to win one game that entire season, and it wasn’t even a home game on that field. Yet despite all that, players on the team walked on water. It didn’t even matter that the team was complete garbage, they got passes in class, passes on showing up late, passes for skipping school, passes for being ass hats in general, and were rewarded by blowing a boatload of money on a new field that they didn’t need.

#rantsfromahighschoolbaseballplayer

• Tanakapalooza Floozy says:

Yup. At my college, in one of the leagues you mentioned, the football team had a higher average and mean GPA than did the student body. And the head coach was one of the major reasons why. He made academics the priority, always.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Good on the coach.

Even at smaller schools, athletes are often very hard to teach because of the pressures put on them by coaches. A lot of my friends really resent athletics. I have one friend in academia who, while and admittedly extreme stance, thinks college sports are a Cold War vestige anyway that should be done away with entirely.

• New Guy says:

In my opinion that Professor is a dick. I understand that athletes need to be held to the same standard as other students, but they have much higher demands on them than the other students. It’s their choice to play the sport, but would have been such a big deal to give him a day or two extension to get it done? I was not a student-athlete and asked for extensions for much smaller reasons and was granted it. Unless Curry has a pattern of doing this its really not a huge deal to give him a little more time. Some professors like to make examples of student athletes like this and its pretty unfortunate.

• vicki says:

michael sam is here, to cover a multitude.

4. SamVa says:

I’ve always wanted to be the dude that breaks a trade or extension—

Simmons is getting 7/58 from the Braves.

Goal complete.

5. Dalek Jeter says:

Derek Jeter is only the 100th best player in baseball according to the MLBn SCANDAL!!! CONSPIRACY!!! YANKEE HATE!!!

All seriousness though, that’s pretty impressive as he missed all of last year and is 40.

The fact that Brandon Philips is ahead of him, that’s fucked up.

• forensic says:

Harold Reynolds had Brandon Phillips as his 3rd best second baseman in the game heading into this season.

That about sums up Harold Reynolds’ ability as an analyst.

Somehow, Bill James actually had him 6th while Brian Kenny and the Shredder didn’t have him in their top 10′s.

• jjyank says:

Ugh. I even liked Brandon Phillips once upon a time, but he has gotten massively overrated. Also, old and bad at baseball.

If they’re just ranking on name value, they should stop paying Reynolds so much money and just hire some dude off the street.

6. forensic says:

things that used to come easy are a little more difficult

So, things get tough and he just gives up and leaves. Wuss…