Open Thread: 2/23 Camp NotesBy
Just one more day of workouts left until the Yankees start playing real, live Spring Training games. Here’s the news from Tampa.
- Chad Jennings has the day’s workout groups. Ivan Nova threw a bullpen session while Michael Pineda headlines the guys who threw live batting practice. John Ryan Murphy caught Pineda and said he was “jumpy” while facing hitters for the first time in camp. “I’ve seen him better than he was today,” he added.
- Vidal Nuno (Tuesday vs. Florida State), Nova (Wednesday @ Pirates), David Phelps (Thursday vs. Pirates on YES) and Adam Warren (Friday @ Tigers) will start the team’s first four exhibition games. All are expected to throw about two innings. No word on when Masahiro Tanaka or any of the other guys will make their Grapefruit League debuts. [Jorge Castillo, Jennings]
- Derek Jeter, meanwhile, will make his spring debut in Thursday’s game. He didn’t play in his first game until the middle of March last year. Jeter also said he expects to travel to Panama for the two exhibition games against the Marlins next month. [Mark Feinsand, Castillo]
- Nik Turley, who was held out of workouts this weekend due to some tightness in his pitching arm, will be shut down for a full week “just to make sure (he’s alright),” said Joe Girardi. “All the tests came back fine.” [Jennings]
- Following tomorrow’s workout, the Yankees will hold their annual team-bonding exercise. It’s expected to be a pool tournament. [George King]
This is your nightly open thread. The Nets are playing tonight and the Olympics closing cermonies are on as well. I’ll miss ‘em, I’ll admit it. Talk about anything and everything right here. Have at it.