Feb

Open Thread: 2/24 Camp Notes

(Presswire)

(Presswire)

With the exhibition games set to begin on Tuesday, the Yankees had a very light workout day today. All the fun stuff starts tomorrow. Here’s the latest from Tampa.

This is your open thread for the night. The Knicks are playing tonight and that’s pretty much it. The NHL returns from the Olympic break tomorrow and, of course, Spring Training games start across Florida and Arizona. You folks know how this works by now, so have at it.

1. jay destro says:

you can also follow me @jaydestro for pictures of my pug.

2. gageagainstthemachine says:

I want to know what Bailey’s contract incentives are that can possibly get him to $2.5M (I think that’s the max) if e doesn’t expect to pitch until August or September?!

• gageagainstthemachine says:

*he

• RetroRob says:

Two year deal, so I suspect he has the same incentives for both seasons, but in reality he only has a chance of hitting them in 2015.

The contract is most likely built on appearances, or number of days not on the DL, etc., so if he comes back earlier this year, he has the chance to earn more money. Yet to get to $2.5m he’ll need a full season, so that would be 2015.

• Tom says:

Is it incentive based this year? I know that was what was reported but I think it might be getting confused (or maybe is referring to 2015?)

I think it might just be a straight minor league deal. They agree on the MLB salary if he makes the club (like all MiLB deals) and he would then just get a prorated portion of that based on when (and if) he makes it back. That’s not really incentive based.

The only thing I saw was that he had just under a 2mil base for 2014. The other 500K is probably just the 2015 buyout.

I don’t know if there are any incentives in the 2015 contract year though.

3. Steinbrenner's Ghost says:

Speaking of Bailey, anyone open to signing Aceves and Hanrahan to minor league contracts?

4. Alkaline says:

Man. I don’t go to RAB from Saturday mid day until this morning and find out about the Gardy extension. I’m a bit surprised, but happy about it. I’ll take a known commodity everyday.

5. idontlikemattwarden says:

You mean Matt Warden doesn’t write for the site anymore? HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN YOU GUYS!

6. dkidd says:

r.i.p. harold ramis

animal house
    caddyshack
    stripes
    ghostbusters
    groundhog day

not too shabby

• Preston says:

Sad, sad, sad, and to think he and Akroyd had signed up for Ghostbusters III. Groundhog Day is one of those movies that no matter how often it’s on tv I always have to stop and watch it.

• forensic says:

Yup, really sucks. He had so many good movies. In addition to the ones you listed, there’s also National Lampoon’s Vacation, and even others like Armed and Dangerous, Back to School, and Analyze This.

7. Charles R. says:

I wonder what CC and Tanaka are laughing about.

8. Tim D. says:

I’m excited to see Jameis Winston potentially pitch against the Yanks. I know the game’s not on TV but I’m interested to see what type of media hype, if any, that will be at the Boss tomorrow. Does anyone care or find it compelling to check the score of the game even though it’s against a college team?

9. Preston says:

So the first game of the year and the most famous person on the field is going to be on Florida State. I mean we could at least throw Ichiro into the lineup to have one big name guy who can outmatch Jameis Winston in the fame department.

• Havok9120 says:

You know, I hadn’t thought of it that way. But hearing it makes me both laugh and frown.

Go exhibit something, Yankees. That’s the whole point. Make some fans and such.

10. LitFig says:

“Yankees sign Jameis Winston to a $50 million dollar contract. Winston will report to Tampa”