Open Thread: 2/24 Camp NotesBy
With the exhibition games set to begin on Tuesday, the Yankees had a very light workout day today. All the fun stuff starts tomorrow. Here’s the latest from Tampa.
- Masahiro Tanaka, CC Sabathia, and Hiroki Kuroda were among those to throw live batting practice early in the morning while David Phelps threw a simulated game. The MLBPA was in camp for their annual song and dance, then the Yankees went out for their team-bonding pool tournament. [Chad Jennings, Wally Matthews]
- Andrew Bailey, who signed a minor league contract over the weekend, was in camp for the first time today. He said he “100%” expects to pitch this year, though it won’t be until August or September. [Mark Feinsand]
- Alfonso Soriano was back with the team after missing the last few days with the flu. He worked out a little bit today and expects to participate in a full workout tomorrow. [Meredith Marakovits]
- Brett Gardner, Kelly Johnson, and Frankie Cervelli are the only regulars who will play in tomorrow’s exhibition opener against Florida State. Vidal Nuno gets the start. [Jennings]
- Social Media: Just a reminder now that Spring Training games are about begin, you can follow RAB on Facebook, Google+ and Twitter. The three of us are on Twitter individually at @mikeaxisa, @joepawl, @bkabak, and @jaydestro.
This is your open thread for the night. The Knicks are playing tonight and that’s pretty much it. The NHL returns from the Olympic break tomorrow and, of course, Spring Training games start across Florida and Arizona. You folks know how this works by now, so have at it.