Feb

Open Thread: 2/25 Camp Notes

(Presswire)

(Presswire)

The Yankees played their first exhibition game of the year this afternoon, beating Florida State 8-3. Back-to-back doubles by Zoilo Almonte and Brendan Ryan created the first run while a Gary Sanchez sacrifice fly drove home the second. The sac fly was actually a foul pop-up near the on-deck circle, but no one bothered to cover the plate so the runner came home. Spring Training baseball against a college team, y’all.

The box score is right here. Vidal Nuno struck out three in two scoreless innings while Brett Gardner (infield single), Frankie Cervelli (5-4-3 double play), and Kelly Johnson (strikeout looking) got one at-bat apiece. Ramon Flores hit a solo homer, Dean Anna doubled once, and John Ryan Murphy doubled twice. Shane Greene allowed all three runs in his two innings of work. Heisman Trophy winner Jameis Winston (above) went 0-for-2 with a strikeout and a ground out to second. Here is everything else from Tampa.

This your open thread for the evening. None of the hockey or basketball locals are in action, so you’re on your own for entertainment. Talk about anything your heart desires right here. Have at it.

1. nycsportzfan says:

Nice start to yr for Nuno and Murphy.

2. lightSABR says:

Grantland has a good article about MLB doing more to prevent concussions: http://grantland.com/features/.....ions-rule/

My favorite part? Four words: “Pirates catcher Chris Stewart”

• I'm One says:

My favorite part? Four words: “Pirates catcher Chris Stewart”

Right where he belongs; backing up Russell Martin.

• forensic says:

Right where he belongs; any team but the Yankees.

Sorry, I’m just Chris Stewart’d out after the last couple of years.

3. Mr. Roth says:

I didn’t see it mentioned in the post, but Scott Sizemore hit for the cycle in his two plate appearances today. He also drew a pair of walks.

4. nycsportzfan says:

Hey Mike, any chance you can find that Flores HR to show us?

• Mike Axisa says:

There’s no video of today’s game.

• nycsportzfan says:

Thanks

• forensic says:

Sportscenter actually had video of Winston taking strike 3 in his final AB. It was from about 300 feet behind and above homeplate and probably just a cell phone video from their interviewer, but it was there…

I can’t believe they went so crazy over this. Photos of him with players, an amazingly blurry photo of his broken bat, footage of him in college games, and then a long interview with him afterward. Was that all really necessary??? It reminded me of why I don’t watch much of anything (other than games) on ESPN anymore).

5. Chip Rodriguez says:

How long has this been going on with Austin’s wrist? I recall reading about this last year as well. Worrying.

6. RetroRob says:

I’d imagine the days of drafting a top football prospect into MLB are gone. Even if an MLB team wanted Winston, they’d have to take him as a 1st rounder to pay enough to get him away from the NFL, yet no MLB team could risk that in fear he wouldn’t sign. Plus, the NFL would still pay him more money up front. The new CBA prevents teams from taking chances on players like Winston…not that he would be signing with a MLB team. He’s NFL bound.

7. Kramerica Industries says:

As some people here may recall, I am a pretty avid fan of University of Florida athletics (basketball #1, woo-hoo).

On a totally unrelated note, I have an insatiable desire to kill Mike ATM.

ok as you were.

;)

8. Robert says:

Slade’s Knee, Austins Wrist thats why Gardy got a contract extension…Flores and Williams not setting the world on fire.No wonder all our minor league infielders are getting try outs in the outfield.
    Bring on the Judge the next outfield hopeful!!!

9. Tim D. says:

There is no chance that Winston would consider playing baseball. Why would he give up a chance to be a starter in the NFL than be a fringe pitcher or a fourth outfielder in MLB?

• hogsmog says:

I dunno, there are a lot more health risks with football. At the end of the day it’s your whole life you have to think about- after your career you could end up with debilitating injuries, maybe even ones to your brain, and no income if you didn’t invest properly.

• Mr. Roth says:

A little different of a situation, but Jeff Samardzija would have almost definitely been a 1st round draft pick in the NFL but picked baseball instead. It could happen.

• Tim D. says:

Fair point in regards to the health issues in football. Do you guys think that he’d take less money and potentially less endorsement deals though to play baseball? Samardzjia has the talent no question but he wasn’t nearly the name that Winston has been.

• hogsmog says:

No, I don’t think Winston ever would. But if I could choose to be a baseball superstar or football superstar, I’d go for baseball. My career would most likely be longer and at a higher salary, and I wouldn’t have to worry about weighing 350 with blown out knees and a screwed up back with no health insurance (the NFL only gives 5 years post retirement) by the time I hit 40.

• Havok9120 says:

Players have so many more rights in the MLB that if I were going to be drafted with a 7 figure signing bonus, I think baseball would be the way to go.

No, you might not make it to the Show to earn those rights. But you still get a bigger payday than almost any regular person will ever get in their lives.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Baseball in a heartbeat for me as well.

• Tanakapalooza Floozy says:

Exactly. The 7-figure bonus guarantees that even if I flame out as a prospect I could – with proper planning – stretch that money for quite a long time.

Baseball would be a no brainer choice for me in that case.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

The prorated version of the minimum you’d make bouncing around the waiver wire would probably come out to about 50-60K a year.

Actually, that’d be interesting to look at.

• Mike Axisa says:

Winston isn’t nearly good enough of a baseball prospect to get drafted high enough for a $1M+ bonus.

10. vicki says:

murph making his case day one. two doubles, and he was the heads-up baserunner scoring on sanchez’s “sac”.

omigod omigod. it’s really happening.

11. mustang says:

Baseball Back!!!!!

12. Jimmy McNulty says:

So the season’s upon us, after that shit festival we were subjected to last season surely this one must go a little bit better, no? I’m concerned about the power, but the pitching should be legit. I liked the Tanaka signing even if I think they overpaid. I’m gonna miss Cano, but 10/240? Yeah take that shit if someone’s offering it, son. Excited for the season.

13. forensic says:

Saturday should be more fun than most very early ST games. We get the Yankees big 3 starters and the underwhelming and so-so Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez will start for the Phillies.

Good stuff.

14. Steinbrenner's Ghost says:

Wow, a spring training with Alex’s Flying Circus to distract everyone.

15. OldYanksFan says:

Wow…. Michaels really screwed the pooch here.
    He would NOT give Bonds a 6th year (his age 33 season).
    In Bonds’ previous three years, he finished 1st, 2nd and 1st in the MVP, has 3 Silver Sluggers Awards and 3 Gold Gloves… and an average OPS+ of 178.

But Gene wouldn’t give him a 6th year.

• RetroRob says:

Quite alright.

Michaels was key in rebuilding the Yankees back into the 90s. Wouldn’t change a thing.

• Steinbrenner's Ghost says:

Bonds would never been able to handle the NYC press scrutiny.

He would have made Billy Martin look sane.

• Jarak says:

Think Randy Johnson’s first day

• forensic says:

He wasn’t all warm and fuzzy with everyone (which likely somewhat helped him become one of the best pitchers (certainly among lefties) ever), but in his defense I don’t agree with the media hunting him down for video, interviews, etc, when he’s just walking down the street.

• Jorge Steinnbrenner says:

He would have been just fine. Clearly, playing in that barren field in the middle of nowhere named “San Francisco” was difficult.

• forensic says:

Well, that was more than 20 years ago, it was a very different time. The 6th year then was probably somewhat analogous to a 10th or 12th year now, which most people wanted nothing to do with for a top echelon player like Cano.

16. OldYanksFan says:

I miss ARod… but all is well.
    MLBPA, A-Rod moving forward on good terms