Feb

Update: Yankees had private workout for Aledmys Diaz on Friday

Friday: The Yankees did indeed have Diaz at the minor league complex early this morning for a workout, according to Jon Morosi. No word on whether Despaigne was there, but George King says he was scheduled to showcase himself for the team as well.

Thursday: Via Joe Strauss: The Yankees are one of seven teams “engaged in talks” with free agent Cuban infielder Aledmys Diaz. Jesse Sanchez says he is expected to work out for them today. “He is prepared to [sign] very quickly,” said agent Jaime Torres. “We know he’s going to be in the Major Leagues. It’s only a matter of time. His preference is shortstop, but he’s played second and third and I’m sure would be comfortable playing whatever position is necessary.”

Diaz, 23, is now eligible to sign after being suspended a year for falsifying age and identity information. Rather than make himself appear younger, he tried to pass himself off as older than his real age so he would not be subject to MLB’s international spending restrictions. Diaz can now sign for any amount and Torres said a decision could be reached as soon as Friday or Saturday. The Yankees certainly need infield help (both short and long-term) and they’ve been monitoring Diaz for months now, though they are said to be done signing big free agents. We’ll see.

In other news, Sanchez says the Yankees are also expected to work out Cuban right-hander Ordisamer Despaigne today as well. They scouted his showcases earlier this offseason. Ben Badler says Despaigne is “pretty fringy” and not much of a prospect, so there’s not a lot to see there. Diaz is a real prize of all the available Cuban players right now.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. King of Fruitless Hypotheticals says:

How do you pronounce his name?

2. Kevin G. says:

I’m just getting this straight here. Diaz is like any normal free agent right? He wouldn’t count against the international pool or an of the other bullshit MLB has implemented right?

• Angelo says:

No, he doesn’t count against the international pool. He qualifies as a normal free agent.

• Kevin G. says:

Sweet. Take your parity and shove it Selig

• Dalek Jeter says:

Which doesn’t really make sense, because last season the “bullshit” as Kevin so rightly put it is exactly why he lied about his age and the MLB’s response to that was “you know what! You just wait a year! …and then get exactly what you want.”

3. Dalek Jeter says:

I’d really like this move, best case scenario he’s ready to perform this season, preferably at 3rd base and that creates a platoon of Johnson/Roberts at 2nd. Slightly more realistic scenario, he goes to the minors and all of a sudden, until he proves otherwise the Yankees have some infield upper level talent on the farm. Something they’ve lacked in recent years. Worst case scenario is an Igawa, and even that didn’t “cripple” the club like so many thought it would.

4. Angelo says:

Hoping the Yankees sign him. Hard not to get excited about young players with upside. He could be terrible, but he could also be a very good infielder for the Yankees for years.

Either way, we will have an answer within the next couple of days, I’m guessing.

5. Dan says:

The Yankees need this guy. If they get him they instantly have a near MLB ready infielder at AAA (just imagine). He can help out at 2d or 3d this year when he’s ready, and then play SS next year. It could mean the Yanks don’t have to overspend on a SS next year, and it would make the glaring need for Drew less noticeable. Get this guy.

6. forensic says:

I’d be pretty surprised if the Yankees were able to sign him. I take Torres’ comments as he/they beleiving that he should be in the Majors this season (likely to start the season) and that’s a pretty unlikely guarantee to get from the Yankees at this point.

• mitch says:

I don’t really interpret it that way. If anything, noting that he’d be open to second or third could indicate he wants to play for the Yanks

• The Great Gonzo says:

I think the competition at other, non-shortstop positions is not stiff… I would say he’s got as much of a shot to start for the Yankees as he does for just about any other team looking at him.

• jjyank says:

Agreed. It’s not as if there’s a lot invested in Brian Roberts or Kelly Johnson. If they sign Diaz and he appears to be better than either of them, he can start and push one of them to the bench or even just released.

• Mike HC says:

Good point, but if he has any foresight at all it won’t be that hard to sell him on basically having no in house competition to be the New York Yankees starting shortstop next year. And if he isn’t good enough to play short, there is also no in house competition for second or third either, for that matter. Maybe except Jagielo, maybe.

• Cheval Anonyme says:

No team is going to hand him a guaranteed Major League spot.

7. Preston says:

I haven’t heard anyone rave about his bat. Most guys say he probably won’t stick at SS. He has average speed at best on the basepaths. But hey, he’s 23 and Cuban, let’s throw 20-30 million at him. Maybe I’m wrong. And if the team likes him then grab him, we sure could use a young quality ss, 2b or 3b at the upper levels. But this seems like a lot of people looking at our needs, and then seeing that this guy is out there and hoping he can be the answer.

• Yankee$ (Formerly Pseudoyanks) says:

My thoughts exactly.

• Chip says:

Also, it’s not our money so who cares what he signs for? Say they give him 6 years and 50 million bucks? Does that prevent them from making other moves in the future? I doubt it

• Preston says:

Signing one guy wouldn’t cripple the Yankees. But taking that attitude towards every hyped international guy would. So if this guy isn’t a “good” prospect, and is only the best available, save the money until something better comes along.

8. Chip says:

I feel like this is a pretty obvious signing for the Yankees. I mean, the dude is only 23 and should be at least an average fielding second baseman with a very intriguing bat. If he comes up and hits somewhere between Daniel Murphey and Brandon Phillips, that’s probably better than what they have right now plus he should be improving in the next couple of years rather than falling off a cliff like the rest of the infield.

9. pinch hitter says:

I don’t want this guy, but if they don’t get the next guy from Cuba I’ve never heard of and know nothing about I’m going to be really upset.

10. Willie says:

I hope they think of the future and sign Diaz.

Also Hal said he wants to rebuild the farm system here is his first step to show he means business and that its not all just talk

• jjyank says:

It’s not just about Hal walking the walk. His baseball people have to actually like Diaz as well. If they don’t sign him, it could very well be because they don’t like him. Maybe he won’t stick at SS, or maybe his bat is weak.

That said, I’d be all for signing him an rolling the dice. I just think it’s a bit too simple minded to say “sign this guy because he’s 23 and you said you’d work on the farm system”. I don’t know enough about him to feel strongly either way, and I’m betting that neither does anyone here.

11. Gman says:

If we signed him and he didn’t make the big league roster, would he immediately be our best infield prospect?

12. cooolbreeez says:

Let’s rebuild the farm system with players that are projected to average at best hitters?

Pass.

13. TWTR says:

If they think his talent is projectable, they don’t have a bigger need in terms of both the major and minor league rosters.

14. willie w says:

the Cards like him a lot and will be making him an offer and the cards know a lot more about young talent than the Yanks for the past 5 to 7 years.

15. Mike HC says:

Jeter retiring. Young free agent shortstop available. Don’t see why the Yanks wouldn’t get this done unless another team makes him an unreasonably high offer (which seems to happen plenty in free agency).

16. CONservative governMENt says:

My hope is that they really like this guy and get it done.

17. willie w says:

here is an amusing article on the interest the Giants have in him:

18. Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I’m glad they have interest. Seems like its serious. I always take the field and hope I’m wrong. Worked with Tanaka.

19. mustang says:

WOW!!!!!

We manage to have a thread and comment section about the infield without “Beating, grilling, broiling, roasting, sawing, sanding, whipping, frying , toasting or Barbecuing the dead horse”.

Do You Believe in Miracles?

• mustang says:

CONservative governMENt says:

“It would fill an important area of need and also explain their seemingly inexplicable lack of interest in Drew.”

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

20. W.B. Mason Williams says:

“Aledmys hits a-long one! Absolutely Diaz-bolical!”

21. The Tenth Inning Stretch says:

I think the important question here is, what would Girardi call him? Ally?

22. Mandy Stankiewicz says:

Please excuse me, I know I recently read this, but what his projected salary comp? Does anyone here remember what projected numbers/years where thrown around?

23. Jorge Steinbrenner says:

When there’s multiple teams with a strong level of interest, I’m never too confident, but this again is starting to feel like someone the team has more than a curious interest in.

24. W.B. Mason Williams says:

All that happened during the private workout was Brian Cashman doing curls with stacks of $100 bills while Diaz stood in the corner uncomfortably.

25. King of Fruitless Hypotheticals says:

Sign him for all the money, put him in AAA to let him get acclimated to the US, then when Roberts breaks, he comes to NY.

Next year he takes over for Jeter, all is good with world.

26. Ghengis McCann says:

[Tina Turner voice]
    I’m your private infielder; infielder for money. Play where you want me to play

27. TWTR says:

At least Diaz doesn’t have to worry about being blocked by ML talent, or if it’s at SS, at least not for very long.

28. dkidd says:

sign him so we can stopping talking about stephen f*ucking drew

also:

it is high…it is far…it is gone!!!

aledmys, you’re the bee’s knees!!!

29. Frank says:

Morosi just reported a few minutes ago on MLB Network that Yanks will be making an offer to Diaz. No $ amount reported.

30. Kevin G. says:

I’m guessing since they have worked him out and are making him an offer i guess they must think he’s good. If they think he’s good (and the Cardinals) I hope we sign him