Feb

Thursday Night Open Thread

Pitchers and catchers report tomorrow, so this is officially the last open thread of the offseason. Thank goodness for that. The camp notes start tomorrow but there is already some news worth passing along now, specifically Masahiro Tanaka throwing his first bullpen session this morning. Erik Boland says he threw 23 pitches to Frankie Cervelli. Tanaka and pitching coach Larry Rothschild spent time hashing out a Spring Training program yesterday, according to Dan Martin. Baseball … it’s a comin’.

Here is your nightly open thread. The Nets are playing tonight plus the Olympics are still going on, so talk about any of that stuff and more right here. Have at it.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Alex Rodriguez says:

Prepare for the A-Rod for SS 2015-2017 train!

2. Darren says:

That was a fun 5 minutes, can we have a Jeter highlight film every day until he retires?

3. Alkaline says:

Almost there.

4. Now Batting says:

I can’t wait to complain about how hot this summer is.

5. Reuben Sierra's Chains says:

What the Hell was “Over the Monster” talking about today? I mean was it dissing Jeter? Pumping up Bogarts? or what exactly was that shit?

6. TWTR says:

The NY Post at it’s batshit crazy headline best:

Tanaka’s 1st bullpen session doesn’t wow

In the body of the article:

Rothschild said he didn’t want Tanaka throwing too many splitters because of the weather and Cervelli added Tanaka threw at only about 60 percent effort as the Yankees bring him along slowly in their attempt to ease his transition to pitching every five days instead of every seven.

• Dalek Jeter says:

It seems like this entire article was written to take backhanded shots at Cervelli and scare people into thinking Tanaka is doomed to fail. My favorite bit is “That process will include not only a new schedule, but a different sized ball and different mounds.” When anybody who does any research or has even a little bit of journalistic integrity knows and would say that Tanaka has been throwing all of his bullpens for at least the past season with an MLB ball.

• LitFig says:

Journalistic Integrity >>>>>>> NY Post

• stuckey says:

In the last 24 hours, we’ve been firsthand witness to Derek Jeter’s retirement announcement inspiring people to theorize this rehabilitation isn’t going well, his farewell tour will distract the rest of the the team, and more calls for Stephen Drew.

The point being publications like the Post and ESPN have ASTUTELY concluded that ‘fans’ are attracted to that sort of spin like flies to honey.

Handwringing has become the predominent sport among hardcore ‘fans’ and venues like the Post know how to exploit it.

Wringers are going to wring.

7. Steve_Balboni says:

I hope Tanaka is ready for the nonsense of the NY media.

8. “so this is officially the last open thread of the offseason”

I was very excited to read that.

9. mustang says:

“Yankees were among teams scouting Cuban free agent shortstop Aledmys Diaz at his showcase today, sources say. @FOXSports1″

“We’re told Cuban SS Aledmys Diaz could get deal around $20-$30M. Serious money and interest.”

GO GET HIM CASH!!!

The Yankees Express Card don’t go to a tryout without it.

10. CashmanNinja says:

I’d honestly rather invest the money in him than Drew. I guess I’m just not a fan of Drew; or his ability to stay healthy. But something about Diaz really intrigues me. They say his defense is really good and his bat looks like it could be decent. The power probably won’t ever come, but if he can go 5-10 HR and put the bat on the ball and get on base…I’m ok with that. He sort of reminds me of Nunez (offensively), but with an actual great glove, at least according to the things I’ve read about him, which can obviously be written up in order to inflate his value. I hope he’s as good as advertised though. And apparently Despaigne pitched and was hitting 96 mph. That’s rather interesting, but I just don’t view him as a legitimate starter and feel he wouldn’t fit the bullpen since his price tag will probably be fairly high. Apparently El Duque was his idol though so maybe he’d take lots less to be in NY. I doubt it.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Do people think Diaz will ever develop any sort of bat? I know little about him.

I guess a guy who is more glove than bat would be valuable, but if the potential for him developing into a decent hitter isn’t there, then he’s a dime a dozen.

• TWTR says:

I don’t know if there are CLEs (Cuban League Equivalencies), but:

Diaz, 23, hit .315/.404/.500 with 12 home runs and 11 stolen bases in 313 plate appearances at-bats during his last season in Cuba from 2011-2012. There are questions about his defense, so his future might actually be at second base.

link

• W.B. Mason Williams says:

Puig hit something like .330 in Cuba, so you figure there is a significant but not tremendous falloff. If you had to guess, maybe Diaz could hit .290 best case scenario? I’d take that in a heartbeat, even if he ends up at like .270.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Thank you, kind sir.

I wonder if they take a closer look now that they’ll be embarking on the “R U The Next Derek” tour.

As with Tanaka, I think we’re safer taking the field there for now.

11. Mickey Scheister says:

Jeter tackled Cano early into the video making a spectacular catch in shallow CF, good stuff.