Mar

AP: El Duque joins Yankees as minor league pitching instructor

Via the AP: Orlando Hernandez has joined the Yankees as a Spring Training minor league pitching instructor. The 48-year-old retired in 2011 and last pitched in the big leagues in 2007. This will be El Duque’s first coaching gig as far as I can tell and he’s slated to remain in Tampa for several weeks. Since he’s working with minor leaguers, I wonder if Hernandez will stick around for all or part of Extended Spring Training as well.

1. Mr. Roth says:

Awesome to have him back around the team. No idea what he’ll be able to add to the organization as a coach, but he was always one of my favorite guys to watch pitch.

2. TWTR says:

El Duque defined pitchbility.

3. vicki says:

“what this staff needs is higher leg kicks.”

• Matt DiBari says:

I don’t necessarily want anyone pitching *like* El Duque because I’m not sure that works for everyone.

But I certainly think he’s baseball smart enough to help out quite a bit.

4. Tanakapalooza Floozy says:

Always one of my favorite guys from those amazing teams. And man did he have a few awesome years. Plus, that commercial where he walks in on Cone doing the Duque is fantastic. It’d be funny if a couple of our P prospects start imitating him as a result of his coaching. “Hey kid lemme show you something.”

5. nyyankfan_7 says:

This smells like an Andy Pettitte type un-retirement…..

God I miss that leg kick

6. gageagainstthemachine says:

And we’re positive he’s 48, right?

7. Darren says:

They should have a session run by El Duque and Jorge Posada called “Fiery Battery Exchanges: 101″

8. Eselquetodolosabe says:

Duque, Duque, Duque, Du, Du, Duque, Duque, Duque – No one can stop, EL DUQUE. Man-crush personified. Love that mofo.

9. cheddar says:

World Series Game 7. You can have any Yankee starter ever, in his prime, starting for you.

I choose Duque.

10. Dirk Diggler says:

I hope he teaches every pitcher on the staff that 62mph eephus pitch!

Man, El Duque was always a favorite of mine. Really miss watching that guy pitch in pinstripes!

11. BigLoving says:

One of my favorite non Yankee playoff moments is when the White Sox brought in El Duque with bases load no outs against the Red Sox and he struck out 3 straight to end the inning. If anyone can find me the video of that I’ll buy them a slice of pizza.