Mar

Open Thread: 3/5 Camp Notes

(Presswire)

(Presswire)

Sounds the alarms, the Yankees have lost two games in a row. Oh, wait, it’s still Spring Training? Disregard. They lost 5-4 to the Rays this afternoon mostly because Robert Coello allowed four runs (two homers) in his one-third of an inning of work. That dude’s having a brutal spring (48.60 ERA). Adam Warren allowed a run in 2.1 innings while Dellin Betances chucked 1.2 scoreless frames. He’s up to 5.1 scoreless innings in camp, which is pretty much exactly what he needs to do to win a bullpen spot.

Here’s the box score. Eduardo Nunez had a big day at the plate, going 3-for-3 with a double. Brett Gardner (1-for-3), Ichiro Suzuki (1-for-3), Kelly Johnson (0-for-2), Austin Romine (0-for-3), and J.R. Murphy (0-for-3) also played. Yangervis Solarte went 1-for-3 and lowered his spring batting average to .667. The Yankees didn’t send many regulars down to Port Charlotte for the game at all. Here is the rest from a slow day in Tampa.

• Mark Teixeira took some live batting practice but only saw five pitches and was pretty annoyed. Yesterday’s session was cancelled because no one was available pitch. “I thought I was going to get a lot more work the last few days, but I just do what I am told,” he said. [Chad Jennings, Andrew Marchand]
  • Alfonso Soriano has a first base mitt and he’s been working out at the position. He doesn’t expect to play much there, it’s more about increasing his versatility in case of emergency. [Jennings]

This is your nightly open thread. This afternoon’s game will not be replayed anywhere but MLB Network will show the Dodgers and Reds live later tonight. The Knicks and Nets are both playing as well, ditto the (hockey) Rangers and trade deadline pickup Martin St. Louis. Talk about anything and everything right here. Enjoy.

1. forensic says:

Coello and Whitley are really trying to see which one can be worse this Spring.

• nycsportzfan says:

They have been the sole reasons the yanks have lost any games this spring. 2games completely on Whitley, and this one on Coello.

As far as Nuny, his 2B was a rip down the 3rd base line, but his bunt single was as well executed as can possibly be and very impressive.

2. dkidd says:

awesome bitchiness from tex

• Now Batting says:

I understand Tex’s frustration, but after last year I’m fine with the Yankees taking as many baby steps as they please.

3. Reuben Sierra's Chains says:

I see Axisa went from Mike to Michael on this posts.

4. TWTR says:

Is what the Knicks do still considered playing?

5. BigLoving says:

Tex really seems determined to have a big rebound year. Glad the staff is making sure he takes his time getting back into it, I guess they learned their lesson not being more strict with Jeter.

6. Guns says:

True Detective final episode prediction:

First of all, love this damn show.

I think Marty’s daughter Audrey is involved. Remember, she started drawing weird sexual pictures and explained she did it because the other kids thought it was funny. But I don’t think Marty ever noticed nor was there any explanation for the dolls she had arranged in her room during one quick scene. She had a barbie doll naked on the floor surrounded by other men in a circle as if it were some kind of ritual, with one of them almost on top of the barbie as if having sex.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence. I think Marty finds evidence (pictures) of his daughter being molested and is again faced with the choice of killing those responsible – as he did when he found the children being held captive by Ledoux. In the last episode, Rust often spoke of a “debt” they both owed, and that part of it was on Marty for killing Ledoux. Rust makes the point that they may have been able to stop this whole thing if Marty hadn’t killed Ledoux in the first place. I think he’ll be faced with a similar situation. He’s an emotional and reactionary character. This all fits in with the whole “time is a flat circle” theme. I think he kills the person most responsible and therefor Rust and Marty are again left with more questions. I think there will be a lot revealed… but not everything. I think it’s going to be one of those endings where we’re given enough answers to be satisfied but still left to speculate “the reach” of how deep this thing goes.

I also think Rust dies. Personally, I think he’s just gonna off himself after the events of the last episode. This has been his life’s one and only focus. And once it’s done, for better or worse, I think he’ll check out.

• CountryClub says:

It’s a terrific show and I’m looking forward to the finale but I expect a lot of people are going to be disappointed. I think it will end pretty conventionally.

7. mustang says:

Booked my baseball trip for this year Cubs and White Sox May 21 and 22nd.

I LOVE INTERLEAGUE BASEBALL!!!!!!!

8. mustang says:

“Interestingly, one of the most obvious areas of real need — backup catcher — is a place that the Diamondbacks did not act decisively…..Somewhat relatedly, if it plans to deal from its depth up the middle, the club needs to decide whether to run with Didi Gregorius or Chris Owings as the everyday shortstop to start the season.”

Chris Owings please!!!!!!!!

9. Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Wow, Coello looking woefully crappy. Really thought we were getting some sleeper depth with him.

10. Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I also cannot tell you how creepy it is that the CareerBuilder ad on the front page of this site is flashing actual relevant job listings at me.

WHAT ELSE DO YOU KNOW ABOUT US, AXISA?!?!

11. nsalem says:

In answer to TWTR’s question about Nunez’ consecutive streak at one position. I believe it is 57 games at shortstop from 9/9/-7/31/13.

• TWTR says:

Where are you seeing this?

• forensic says:

I count 49. He played some 3B on Sept. 22, 2012, and then also had 3 DH games (which probably shouldn’t count toward his SS games total) during the streak.

• nsalem says:

Right you are!!! He played the last two innings at 3rd in that wild ass Saturday afternoon 14 inning A’s game. Raul hit the homer in 13th and Melky Mesa had his defining Yankee moment when he failed to round 3rd base properly. Eduardo was actually the final AB of the game. If I remember right he hit a weak grounder to second that was misplayed into the winning run. I showed up to a family dinner 30 minutes late at a Chinese restaurant in riverdale with 25 people waiting while listened on my car radio. That was a huge game. Sorry to digress. 49 games is correct. Not counting DH’s that is.

• TWTR says:

So is that really enough to get a true read on a player who is admittedly shaky in the field? I don’t think so.

I recognize that it doesn’t matter though.

Prospects that are considerably more talented than he is have gotten less of an opportunity here, but I still think he might turn into a league average SS (when offense and defense are taken together) if he ever gets a prolong shot somewhere without having to be so concerned about his job security.

• forensic says:

I agree and I haven’t given up on him yet. Anecdotally, he also seems to play better defensively when he’s able to settle in at one spot.

• nsalem says:

The night before was a great game also. Soriano blew Sabathia’s 3 hitter on a 9th inning homer to Moss iirc and Martin won it with a solo walk off. O’s would have tied us for 1st place if we lost either of those games.

12. Brandon says:

Warren and Phelps haven’t been overly impressive so far (granted, it’s only a few outings), so it starting to become Pineda’s job to lose. Don’t fuck it up Friday

• hogsmog says:

Nuno had been pretty solid, and held his own in the MLB last year. I think Phelps is going to have to be really bad to lose the lead, though.

• will says:

It’s obviously pineda’s to lose at this point. Phelps is a poor man’s phil hughes.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

That last sentence is the most nonsensical thing I’ve read in a long time. How are they even remotely the same pitcher?

• I'm One says:

I find the whole comment nonsensical. It’s not obvious the the slot is Pineda’s to lose. He hasn’t even pitched in a game yet. Then the Phelps/Hughes comparison ….

• The Great Gonzo says:

They look alike, in a vanilla featured white gut sort of way. Phelps is a poor mans version of Hughes’ plain-whiteness.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

See, now this bugs me.

“Vanilla” and “Plain” are two completely different tastes. Good vaniila actually tastes like something, but people so often substitute it for a lack of flavor because so many vanilla-flavored things tend to be white in color.

I love actual vanilla.

Also, every pitcher who an individual pins undeserved high hopes for, but pitches to actual ability, is a poor man’s Phil Hughes. Remember that.

• Hawkeye says:

So Brandon, your concern is that Pineda will have intercourse on the mound on Friday? That would be embarrassing.

13. TopChuckie says:

“Yesterday’s session was cancelled because no one was available pitch.”

The comments above seem to indicate you think Tex’s limited BP was intended by the team, which makes a hell of a lot more sense than no one being available to throw BP when the entire organization is in Tampa. Hell, Pettitte could have thrown him BP, it’s not like they need to preserve his arm. I just don’t get why “no one available” ever would have come out as the reason for the limited AB’s. Except for the fact they’ve made no effort to secure a backup 1B, everything going on around Tex makes me feel like it’s going to be another lost season for him at some point.

14. Anthony says:

I have a gut feeling a deal with the Brew Crew for Juan Fransisco will happen before the season starts.He’s out of options and the brewers signed our old friends Reynolds and Overbay. Plus the brewers have been scouting phelps and our catching depth.

• TopChuckie says:

I’d want a lot more than Francisco for Phelps and I wouldn’t trade any of the catchers until I exhausted all efforts with Arizona for Owings (who I don’t really believe will ever be the MI they make available).