Mar

Open Thread: 3/8 Camp Notes

The Yankees won their third straight Grapefruit League game this afternoon, beating the Astros 9-6 in a back and forth affair. Ivan Nova got hit around really hard in the first inning but settled down in the next three. His finished with three runs allowed on eight hits in four innings, striking out five and walking zero. Manny Banuelos got roughed up in his spring debut. Five relievers combined to allow only two hits in the final 4.1 innings.

At the plate, Brett Gardner went 1-for-4 with a single while Mark Teixeira went 1-for-2 with a double off the wall (as a right-handed batter), a walk, and a strikeout. Kelly Johnson had a walk and a two-run homer in three plate appearances. Dean Anna and Austin Romine both had two singles and Mason Williams had the double off the wall you see in the video above. He also got picked off first base later in the game. Here’s the box score and video highlights, and here’s the rest from Tampa.

• The upcoming rotation: David Phelps (Sunday), Monday off, CC Sabathia and Masahiro Tanaka (Tuesday, Tanaka will throw a simulated game), Hiroki Kuroda (Wednesday), Michael Pineda and Nova (Thursday, split squad games), Phelps (Friday), Vidal Nuno and Adam Warren (Saturday, Tampa and Panama), Tanaka and Sabathia (Sunday, Tampa and Panama). [Chad Jennings]
  • Because of the Panama games, the first round of roster cuts will come later than usual this spring. They simply need the extra bodies since they’ll be playing seven games in four days from Thursday through Sunday. Joe Girardi is heading to Panama and third base coach Rob Thomson will serve as manager for the games in Tampa. [George King]
  • Johnson will get his first start at first base tomorrow. He’s the backup first baseman by default. Bench coach Tony Pena ran him through a scooping drill today by hitting hard hit ground balls at him from second base. [Jorge Castillo]
  • Brendan Ryan is “nicked up” and will be out until the middle of next week with a back/oblique issue. It isn’t considered a long-term problem. [Erik Boland]
  • Sabathia and Tanaka threw their usual between-starts bullpen sessions. Tyler Austin did not hit today, but it was a scheduled day off for him and his balky wrist, not a setback. [Jennings]

This is your nightly open thread. This afternoon’s game will not be replayed anywhere, though MLB Network will carry and the Mariners and Dodgers live later tonight. The Devils and Knicks are both playing as well. Talk about anything and everything right here.

1. forensic says:

It would’ve been a nicer sign if Tex’s double was as a lefty, but I’ll take it for now at least. I assume he finally swung and missed at some point in his strikeout (dare I ask if it was a changeup?), so I guess he’s finally happy (assuming nothing popped).

Nice to see Johnson continue hitting so far.

It isn’t considered a long-term problem.

Because it’s Brendan Ryan and no one really cares if he’s out? :-)

Clearly, the take away from today is that Nova can’t handle the high-powered Astros offense and shouldn’t be allowed to face them as the #3 starter the first time through the rotation in the regular season.

2. hogsmog says:

If there’s anything baseball has taught me, it’s that there’s no such thing as a back/oblique issue that shouldn’t be paid very, very close attention to.

3. dkidd says:

might be the end of the line for freddy garcia

if so, he went out in style last october

4. So I have an interesting story.

I am likely to be a co-play by play for my university’s baseball team this year starting March 22. Bob Carpenter, the former ESPN announcer and play by play guy for the Washington Nationals is sending me one his big scorebooks for free out of the goodness of his heart (I can’t afford the $35 + shipping). A nice gesture from a broadcaster who is definitely not totally on my top list of announcers for the current set of 30 teams. I don’t mind Bob Carpenter much, but I want F.P. Santangelo out of that booth.

So hopefully I get to start on March 22, have a meeting on March 19 about it.

5. MPierce says:

I must’ve never seen a video of Mason Williams hitting before, only defense, because I was shocked by his batting stance. That wasn’t what I was expecting from him at all. Can’t think of many lead-off types with that much movement in their swings outside of a Damon type.

• Reuben Sierra's Chains says:

Stance reminds me of Mel Hall.

• pat says:

Agreed. I’m an unabashed Yankee farm system homer, but Mason just doesn’t do it for me. All you ever hear is about is his “electric athleticism” but dude looks straight up thick and slow. I’m no professional, but dude looks like a slap hitter through and through.

To me, this speaks to a greater problem with our development. They try and force every prospect to be some prototype slugger. Does anybody honestly think that Angelo Gumbs is going to amount to anything? We draft all these quick twitch up the middle types who could be aggressive high average hitters and instead we try and turn them into passive power hitters, when it’s against their nature. I shudder to think what would have happened had they tried to turn a guy like Jeter, who came out of the womb with an opposite field stroke line drive swing, into a pure power hitter. I’m not against that approach when it comes to Bird, Austin, O’Brien, Breen but guys like Slade, Mason, Gumbs shouldn’t be forced into prototypes they’re not.

6. nycsportzfan says:

If this were April, and at Yankee Stadium, you just saw Mason’s 1st HR of his career.

7. Sam Palazzo says:

Is it just me or did Williams’ swing look just like Ichiro’s? Worries me a bit, I think only Ichi can pull that type of swing off.