Open Thread: 3/9 Camp NotesBy
In what was easily the most competitive game of the spring, the Yankees and Rays played to a 3-3 tie this afternoon. Joe Girardi managed to win, pinch-running when the Yankees were down a run with two outs in the bottom of the ninth. He also pinch-hit Scott Sizemore for Mason Williams to get the platoon advantage. The pinch-runner (Antoan Richardson) came around to score on a wild pitch. Pretty fun.
David Phelps was very strong, allowing three hits in five scoreless innings. He struck out one, walked zero, and recorded eight ground ball outs. Jacoby Ellsbury doubled and struck out twice, Alfonso Soriano singled twice in three at-bats, and both Carlos Beltran and Derek Jeter took an 0-for-3. Jose Pirela had two hits off the bench. Dellin Betances continued his strong spring with another scoreless inning, striking out one and pitching around a double. Matt Daley chucked a scoreless frame as well. Here are the box score and video highlights, and here’s the rest from Tampa.
- The Yankees announced the first roster cuts of the year: Jose Ramirez (oblique) and Francisco Rondon (shoulder). Both have been sent down to minor league camp. Neither pitched this spring due to their injuries. Ramirez is on the 40-man roster, so was optioned down. There are still 64 players in big league camp.
- Kelly Johnson left today’s game after taking a fastball to the back, but he is fine. It was probably going to be his final at-bat of the day anyway. Johnson had an uneventful first day at first base, making all the routine plays. [Andrew Marchand]
- Hiroki Kuroda, David Robertson, and Matt Thornton all threw their scheduled bullpens. Tyler Austin (wrist) hit, either in the cage or regular batting practice. Scott Sizemore has been playing with a brace on his left knee following back-to-back torn ACLs. [Chad Jennings]
- Brendan Ryan (oblique) is feeling better and better. He hopes to return to game action on Wednesday. [Bryan Hoch]
- Tomorrow is the team’s first off-day of the Grapefruit League schedule and it’s a total off-day. A few guys might come in for extra work or medical treatment, but there are no workouts are scheduled at all.
Here is your nightly open thread. This afternoon’s game will
not be replayed on television anywhere replayed at midnight on MLB Network, after they re-air the Mets and Braves later tonight. The Nets are playing as well. You folks know how this works by now, so have at it.