Mar

Spring Training Game Thread: Spot Start

(Presswire)

(Presswire)

The Yankees announced their season-opening rotation earlier today, with Michael Pineda not so surprisingly winning the fifth starter’s job. Adam Warren will move back into the bullpen when the season begins next week but he is making the spot start tonight as guys get lined up during the final week of Spring Training.

The Phillies made the short trip across the causeway from Clearwater for tonight’s game. They brought their A-lineup since this is the final week of camp, so Chase Utley and Ryan Howard and Carlos Ruiz and all those guys are playing. So is former Yankee Bobby Abreu. Right-hander Jeff Manship will be on the mound as Philadelphia gets a spot start of their own. Here is the lineup Joe Girardi is sending out there. I have to think that’s the Opening Day lineup, only with Jacoby Ellsbury batting leadoff and playing center field and Brett Gardner hitting ninth.

1. LF Brett Gardner
  2. SS Derek Jeter
  3. DH Carlos Beltran
  4. 1B Mark Teixeira
  5. C Brian McCann
  6. RF Alfonso Soriano
  7. 3B Kelly Johnson
  8. 2B Brian Roberts
  9. CF Ichiro Suzuki
    RHP AdamWarren

Available Position Players: C Austin Romine, 1B Russ Canzler, 2B Eduardo Nunez, SS Dean Anna, 3B Scott Sizemore, LF Yangervis Solarte, CF Adonis Garcia, RF Zoilo Almonte, and DH Zelous Wheeler will be the second string off the bench. C/1B Jose Gil, 1B/C Tyson Blaser, and OF Antoan Richardson are also available.

Available Pitchers: RHP David Phelps, LHP Vidal Nuno, LHP Matt Thornton, RHP Shawn Kelley, RHP David Robertson, RHP Matt Daley, LHP Fred Lewis, RHP David Herndon, RHP Shane Greene, RHP Jim Miller, RHP Danny Burawa, and RHP Yoshinori Tateyama. So everyone, basically. Everyone’s available.

It’s cool and cloudy in Tampa but there’s no threat of rain. They’ll have no trouble getting tonight’s game in. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05pm ET and can be seen on YES, MLB Network, and MLB.tv. Enjoy, meaningful baseball is right around the corner.

1. OB/GYN Kenobi says:

Cloudy with a chance of meatballs.

2. The Guns of Navarone says:

Minor quibble…I hope Teixeira doesn’t bat cleanup. Seems foolish to rely on him.

3. Beltran (S) 4. McCann (L) 5. Soriano (R) 6. Teixeira (S)

• The Other Matt says:

Agreed. I rather have the switch hitters split up in the lineup. If Soriano maintains the power he had towards the end of last season, then I’d go 3-6: Beltran, Soriano, Teixeira McCann. But I wouldn’t mind having McCann 5 and Texeira 6.

• Get Phelps Up says:

Against RHP I agree, but I’d go Sori, Tex, Beltran, McCann 3-6 against LHP.

• The Guns of Navarone says:

Ditto. Good point… I’m much more comfy with Tex against LHP.

• D$1184 says:

Beltran’s more of pure hitter and Sori’s more of a slugger who is going to strike out more than Beltran. I’d rather have Beltran getting the more ABs against lefties than Soriano.

Against lefties:

Sori LF
          McCann
          Johnson
          Roberts
          Ryan SS

• forensic says:

I wouldn’t want Soriano up that high even against lefties. Just too many wasted AB’s and I don’t see him repeating what he did last season with his near historic run of power for that while after he came over.

• ALZ says:

VS rhp I want Soriano 6th at highest. Vs lefties though he should be 3 or 4.

3. Darren says:

“I have to think that’s the Opening Day lineup, only with Jacoby Ellsbury batting leadoff and playing center field and Brett Gardner hitting ninth.”

If Jacoby is healthy. If.

/ducks and runs

4. Wheels says:

Nice photo of Nuney.

5. The Other Matt says:

I’m interested in seeing how Adam Warren will pitch tonight, and how the Girardi might utilize him in the early part of the season. Although he was the long man last year, I feel Phelps is better suited for that role, and Warren stuff might play a little bit better as a middle-inning guy. To me he has more velocity and the ability to potentially come right after guys, should he only have to face guys one time during a game.

• The Guns of Navarone says:

I always thought of Warren as a contact pitcher. Someone who can throw four pitches out of the bullpen but doesn’t have that one big put-away pitch. He’s better suited for long relief IMO… he’s got the pitches to go through a batting order more than once.

• The Other Matt says:

I see your POV. Because he has been a spot start/long relief guy he has probably felt the need to pitch to contact. I think in a one, maybe two inning type role, he could air it out, up his velocity to 94-95 consistently, and in turn miss more bats . Warren has an underrated slider IMO, which could be a solid secondary pitch in a middle-inning role. He would have to improve against left-handers though, as I believe Mike detailed in an article previously, they have had their way with him in the past.

6. Yankee$ says:

I think Warren is only going an inning (maybe two.)

7. Wheels says:

I guess it’s Lorenz, Leiter, and Cone in the booth.

8. Alkaline says:

So happy to watch a game!

9. RetroRob says:

And maybe Soriano speaks a little Japanese. He did spend a couple seasons in Japan.

Doubt it, though.

10. Get Phelps Up says:

Hamels is starting the season on the DL? My god, the Phils are barren.

• Dalek Jeter says:

But Cliff Lee told me they have a better chance of being successful in the future than the Yankees!

• Get Phelps Up says:

Hey, he has a legit shot at being the only guy on his team to stay healthy and be an above average producer for the whole season! He wouldn’t have been able to do that on the Yankees!

11. Dan says:

I think it’s a mistake to not be trying to aggressively get an infielder by moving Phelps, Warren, or Nuno (possibly in conjunction with an extra C). Yes, the Yankees will need 8 SPs at some point. But how many games will actually be started by pitchers 7 and 8? I can’t see trading one of those guys costing them more than a game over the course of the season compared to the next guy in AAA. But the possible boost to the infield could be worth multiple games. This is a mistake.

• ALZ says:

I don’t think you are going to get a quality infielder by trading those guys.

• ALZ says:

I think they are much more valuable to the team in the middle relief they are in.

• Dan says:

Phelps and Murphy should net a quality young infielder. Phelps is a legit 5, with a ceiling of a 4, who’s still got some team control. Murphy is near MLB ready and looks like at worst he’s a career backup (but legit). But he really looks like he could be a solid regular. Those two guys should get at least a solid player back.

12. Mickey Scheister says:

Second and third base…exposed! And in back to back plays! Ha!

13. dkidd says:

johnson looking uggla in the field

14. Alkaline says:

Good ol’ Abreu.

15. Wicomico Pinstripes says:

I would much rather see Jeter bat first. At least early on in the season until he has proven that he has his legs underneath him and is able to drive the ball with some authority. I know it’s ST and SSS and all, but his propensity for GIDP and ground balls in general is a bit concerning.

I realize this means giving a batter you’re not sure about more PA, but that’s a risk I’m willing to take in this situation.

16. Mickey Scheister says:

The regular season line-up should be…

Gardner
    Ellsbury
    Beltran
    McCann
    Soriano
    Texieria/Sizemore
    Jeter/Sizemore
    Johnson/Sizemore
    Roberts/Sizemore

17. Mykey says:

Be sure to give your next update with runners on base Meredith.

18. Wheels says:

Another grounder for Jeter.

• D$1184 says:

I wonder if that’s a reviewable play. Course, it doesn’t matter much in Spring Training but if these were a regular season game, there’s a big difference between first and second with no one out, as opposed to Jeter on first and one out, with the heart of the order coming up and down by 3 early.

• D$1184 says:

I’m referring to the matter of Utley having the ball in his glove and his foot on the bag at the same time, of course. The throw drew him off the bag and I’m not sure he got the tag on the base before Gardner was in there.

19. Mickey Scheister says:

Not a strike to McCann there, awful call. It looked more like the ump wanted to showcase his glorious strike three call. Simmer down now ump! It’s not about you, it’s about the guys in the batters box.

20. Alkaline says:

Let’s go High Socks.

21. D$1184 says:

Abreu in a Phillies’ uniform–it’s like I’m back in high school or college.

22. Cuso says:

Beer! Ear! Beerrrrrrr-yep!

23. D$1184 says:

If the Phillies fall apart again this year, Cliff Lee could be on the July 31st trading block yet again.

24. Wheels says:

Ichiro is still a good outfielder.