Apr

The 2014 Eric Jagielo Watch

(Staten Island Advance/Hilton Flores)

(Staten Island Advance/Hilton Flores)

Two years ago it was OF Mason Williams, last year it was OF Tyler Austin, and this year it will be 3B Eric Jagielo. The Yankees’ first first round pick in last summer’s draft won our Prospect Watch vote convincingly, receiving nearly 29% of the over 5,400 votes submitted. That’s way more votes than I expected, so thanks to everyone for taking the time to click.

Here are the full voting results:

1. 3B Eric Jagielo, 28.7%
  2. C Gary Sanchez, 22.2%
  3. OF Aaron Judge, 17.4%
  4. LHP Manny Banuelos, 12.1%
  5. OF Slade Heathcott, 8.6%
  6. 1B Greg Bird, 7.4%
  7. OF Tyler Austin, 1.9%
  8. OF Mason Williams, 1.8%

No love for Austin or Williams, huh? Cold. I guess they’ve already had their moment in the Prospect Watch sun though. Same with Banuelos. I suspect Bird and Judge will have their time in the sidebar in a year or two. With Heathcott already on the 40-man roster and heading to Triple-A this year, it’s possible he will go his entire minor league career without being part of the Prospect Watch despite being a first round pick. Weird.

Jagielo, 21, was the 26th overall pick in last year’s draft, and he signed quickly for a $1,839,400 signing bonus, which was exactly slot money. The third baseman out of Notre Dame hit .266/.376/.451 (153 wRC+) with 14 doubles and six homers in 218 plate appearances for the Short Season Staten Island Yankees after turning pro. He will open 2014 with High-A Tampa and a promotion to Double-A Trenton at midseason is very likely if he hits like he did with the Baby Bombers. For more on Jagielo, check out his Prospect Profile.

The Prospect Watch will be up in the sidebar tomorrow afternoon. Jagielo and his Tampa Yankees teammates open the season tomorrow night, as do the other three full season affiliates. Austin was a bit of a dud last year because of his nagging wrist injury, but Williams had a very strong year in 2012 and Banuelos was solid in 2011. Barring injury, Jagielo should have no trouble putting up big numbers in Single-A. If we doesn’t, well, that will only add fuel to the Curse of the Prospect Watch fire.

1. JoeyA says:

where does college competition rank amongst the different levels of minor leagues?

• BFDeal says:

Not looking at individual players, but college players in general, you’re looking at A ball, maybe occasionally AA level.

2. Dirk Diggler says:

FOR SHAME fellow Yankees fans. FOR SHAME.

Heathcott is a a good year away from starting in RF for this ball club in 2015. Instead we get to follow a guy MULTIPLE seasons away from even being in consideration for a spot on this roster.

Plus, Slade clearly has the superior baseball name factor.

• jjyank says:

I’ll grant you Slade’s edge on his name tool.

However, I think a lot of people (myself included) don’t really factor in proximity to the big leagues for something like this. I always try to pick a guy with the best combination of performance, interest, and health. That last one is probably a huge reason most didn’t vote for Heathcott. Nobody wants the prospect watch guy on the DL for extended periods, and unfortunately, he’s a prime candidate for that.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I’d rather the “watch” be for someone who is neither too close nor too far away. If Slade makes it to the Bronx in, say, June (which I doubt,) watch over. At least we can track a supposed fast mover’s climb with Jagielo.

• RetroRob says:

I like your optimism on SladeRunner, but his AA season was mediocre and he is highly injury prone. Let’s hope he plays most of the year in 2014 before we have him starting in RF.

From that list, the player most likely to appear on the Yankees at some point this year is probably Banuelos, yet like Heathcott he also has his questions right now.

Jags had one of the most polished and projectable bats coming out of college, with evaluators believing he could be playing in the majors within two years, at some point in 2015. He may not be as far away as you think.

• Manny says:

Same, definitely feel it should have been slade.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

His being one step away is precisely the reason I found him less interesting for the watch.

• jjyank says:

That too. I left that part out of my comment, but what happens to the Prospect Watch of Slade somehow makes it to the majors this year? It’s unlikely, but not impossible if he is starting the year in AAA.

• pat says:

I’d prefer the Prospect Tracker actually update every day, not go stagnant for weeks at a time because Slade ran into Ramon Flores and got concussed.

• Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

Democracy in action. Voted for Jagielo.

3. I would have liked to have see a guy that was closer to the big leagues. Jagilo is at least 2 years away, most likely 3.

4. Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

I will say here and now that if Jagielo does have any problems this year, I will call for an end to the Prospect Watch.

5. D$1184 says:

I’m good with that. I thought Banuelos because I was trying to judge by “who has the most realistic shot to be in the Bronx this season?” Since you can never have enough quality pitching, I thought maybe Banuelos.

Given the signing of Brian McCann and the otherwise makeup of the roster, barring an injury, we’re not going to see Gary Sanchez this year. He could tear up AA and AAA pitching and we still wouldn’t see him. Even if McCann gets injuried, Franky becomes the starter, Austin Romine or John Ryan Murphy gets called up to be the backup and maybe, at most, Sanchez gets called up to AAA.

But Jagielo, first Yankee pick of last year’s draft, first college hitter they’ve taken in a long time, playing all the way down in A ball, makes sense. Fans want to see how good this kid can be.

• whozat says:

But if you pick someone who breaks in this year, then the prospect watch is over. How does that make any sense?

6. chris says:

Problem with Heathcott is you can’t have a prospect watch for a guy who doesn’t play haha. Seriously though, I love his attitude, he is probably my favorite prospect, but he gets injured way way too much. Like Nick Johnson too much.

7. Farewell Mo says:

Gotta say I’m disappointed Manny Banuelos didn’t win especially after I voted for him 500 times.

8. jjyank says:

Nice. I voted for Jags. Here’s to a successful rise to The Show!

9. I'm One says:

I’m hoping to see great stats from Jagielo this season in the Prospect Watch. Although I also would have been happy with any of Banuelos, Judge or Sanchez despite my vote for Jagielo.

• jjyank says:

If Judge has a good year in 2014 (doesn’t even need to be crazy, just something that we could be confident that he can build on), he is my early choice for 2015 Prospect Watch. That power potential would be fun to see on the sidebar.

10. Bavarian Yankee says:

The prospect watch guy is having a bad year most times, so I refused to vote! Nah, just kidding, at least about the latter part ;)
    I voted for Bird because I think he’ll have another huge season but Jagielo is a great choice too.

11. Jorge Steinbrenner says:

What would happen to a two-sport guy who managed to secure BOTH the “prospect watch” AND the Madden cover? That dude’s, like, dead.

12. vin says:

I voted for Sanchez, but Jagielo was one of the other guys I considered (along with Bird and Manny). Hopefully he mashes.

13. CONservative governMENt says:

Jagielo doesn’t yet have the taint of an injury or disappointing season, making him a good choice for this.

It’s kind of like staying an extra year of college so scouts can tear apart your game.

14. Kvothe says:

Your poll was invalid as it needed more Gosuke in it.

• Angelo says:

I think, if he has a good season, he’ll be one of the front runners next year along with Judge, Avelino, Andujar and Severino.

Or they could all have terrible seasons…then I’ll just cry myself to sleep

15. Bryan says:

Do we know the rosters for each of the full season minor squads yet?

16. dkidd says:

bummed that judge wasn’t chosen, but jagielo does have an 80 “opportunity to make insane clown posse jokes” tool

17. Deep Thoughts says:

I can’t wait for him to end a game with a Jag-off HR.

18. Yankee$ says:

I voted for Manny but have a feeling I will be pleased Jag won as the season goes on.