Apr

Game 11: Before the Rain

(Al Bello/Getty)

(Al Bello/Getty)

The Yankees started this long, four-game weekend series against the Red Sox well with last night’s win, and tonight they have a chance to guarantee at least a split. Once you do that, you can start to get greedy. CC Sabathia is on the mound and the Red Sox have not been kind to him over the years, especially last season, when their MLB-best offense contributed to his career-worst season with 56 base-runners and 23 runs in 28.2 innings. Yikes.

The weather in New York has been pretty nice all day, but some clouds started to roll in this afternoon and the forecast calls for rain later this evening. It might be an issue in the later innings. This could be one of those “get the lead early and hope you have it when the rain shows up” games, because once it does show up, it isn’t supposed to stop until tomorrow morning. Here is the Red Sox lineup and here is the Yankees lineup:

1. SS Derek Jeter
  2. CF Jacoby Ellsbury
  3. RF Carlos Beltran
  4. DH Alfonso Soriano
  5. C Frankie Cervelli
  6. 3B Yangervis Solarte
  7. LF Ichiro Suzuki
  8. 2B Brian Roberts
  9. 1B Kelly Johnson
    LHP CC Sabathia

Like I said, there is some rain in the forecast later tonight. First pitch is scheduled for a little after 7pm ET and you can watch the game live on YES locally and MLB Network nationally. Depending on where you live, of course.

Injury Updates: The Yankees expect to have Mark Teixeira (hamstring) back sometime before May 1st. It is doubtful Brendan Ryan will make it back that soon, however. [Bryan Hoch]

Categories : Game Threads

1. forensic says:

As expected, Gardner is out and Ichiro is in. I can’t believe that with all the crap questions the media asks on a daily basis that no one asked Girardi about Gardner’s health (at least not according to anything I’ve seen on Lohud’s twitter roll).

Cervelli’s also in, as expected, I just wasn’t sure if it’d be catcher or 1B again.

It’s kind of scary what the lineup can look like (at least in terms of names) when they face a lefty.

• Mr. Roth says:

I was wondering the same thing about Gardner. Late in the game last night it seemed like he was walking a little funny after running to 1st.

• The Guns of Navarone says:

Ichiro’s .313 AVG, 2 HR career vs Lester
      Gardner’s .183 AVG with 0 XBH vs Lester

That has something to do with it, I believe. I don’t think it has anything to do with Gardner’s health.

• forensic says:

I know the numbers, and I mentioned them last night when I first said Gardy would be out today. But, Gardner also pulled up on his 8th inning grounder last night and walked gingerly with a slight limp back to the dugout.

• The Guns of Navarone says:

Gotcha. I personally didn’t see any limping. He definitely pulled up but looked okay to me… seemed disappointed in his AB is all. Hope that’s all it is.

2. Yangeddard Solarte says:

I love Frankie in that 5 hole providing protection for Carlos and Sori. And Yang finally moved up to 6th. Deep lineup tonight.

3. Dalek Jeter says:

I’m a huge member of team Pollyanna and generally I support Girardi…but I cannot believe how little we’ve seen the “a” line up in consecutive games.

• forensic says:

This isn’t the ‘A’ lineup? You mean Eddard lied to me???

• The Guns of Navarone says:

Girardi’s obsession with platooning players is a little much for my tastes. But if you’re going to rest McCann it may as well be against a lefty… and Gardner may or may not be hurt and also has bad numbers against Lester compared to Ichiro.

I hated that 3rd game of the season in HOU but I’m not ready to kill him just yet for tonight’s lineup.

• nycsportzfan says:

I love the change it up, and confuse teams approach. Its really “team” strategy if you ask me, as everyone almost feels like a equal part to the team. He did it with Phelps last night also, again, kinda showing, “i’m going with who I like to help us on this paticular day.”.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I don’t know how much it “confuses teams” as they get the line ups at least when we do, and they have scouting reports on all the players anyway. I just think it’s better for players to get into a groove knowing “I’m the (fill in position here) and will be playing there 5-7 days a week and will be hitting in this spot in the order.”

• nycsportzfan says:

I could tell you 90pct of the lineups out there. I think it definetly can throw a manager off, when they are expecting one thing, and get another. As for the players, I think it makes them feel they are part of a real team, and all are apart of one great big body, and each game, it could be any of em stepping into a huge position in the order, and or starting a game, plus it keeps players fresh.

• nycsportzfan says:

Its managing with your gut, and not so much with a binder. I love it.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I’m sorry, but I don’t see “surprising a manager” 1. happening or 2. having any real effect…at all. It’s not like he’s going to scratch a starter because of the other team’s line up. If a manager ever did that I would hope he would be fired before first pitch. As for the players feeling part of a team…if they don’t feel like guys on a veteran team need to be suffled about to know they’re part of a team. I think they need to play and know their role. Literally the only argument there that I can even understand a little bit is “keeping them fresh.” Even then though, there’s a delicate balance between “being fresh” and “being off” from not having regular reps.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Blah, let’s try that again:

As for the players feeling like part of a team. I don’t feel like guys on a veteran team need to be shuffled around to know they’re part of a team***

• nycsportzfan says:

Again, managing with his gut, and I love it. If this were any other team, I can almost guarantee you, Cervelli’s not batting 5th, and Phelps isn’t finishing that game last night. Thats my opinion.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Well, yes, because they’d be on the Yankees and unavailable to another team. And you’ll love him managing with his gut until you realized that he’s doing Lefty/Righty splits literally right down the line up and then realize he’s doing the exact opposite. Managing with his gut would mean playing the LHH against Lester regardless of splits.

• nycsportzfan says:

I disagree. And I was talking about if other managers were in the exact situation, with the same bullpen we had, obviously.

As for everything else, agree to disagree, I guess. To good of a game, to debate like this.

• lou says:

This is a reason I never liked Joe as a manager. He never has a set lineup 1-9. I don’t know of another team that changes lineups on a daily basis. As long as the Yankees keep misfits on the team Joe will fine a way. Gotta get more serious starters on this team so Joe can’t do this day in and out.

• nycsportzfan says:

I disagree, I think Joe’s showing more faith in the bench guys, then ever before, and is showing, hes not afraid to play any lineup, as he trusts this entire team to play a significant role.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Give me the best chance to win, I give almost zero shits about how Solarte/Suzuki/Cervelli feel about themselves, especially when I compare that to how many shits I give about putting the best line up (and therefore best chance to win) on the field as often as possible without risking injury.

• forensic says:

Sitting his better players more often is supposed to ‘confuse’ the other team???

And going with Phelps last night wasn’t because he likes him. It was because three of his relievers weren’t available and Phelps happened to go 7 up, 7 down. Thornton was up and ready to come in the entire 9th inning if Phelps let anyone on base.

• nycsportzfan says:

Because he likes em? What are you talking about? He kept him in, because he had confidence in him, in that situation. He said earlier, that Thornton was gonna pitch the 9th, and by leaving Phelps in to face Papi was just Joe believing in what Phelps had that night, and not going by a Binder.

• forensic says:

1. You’re the one who said he put Phelps in becaue he liked him.

2. He didn’t say Thornton would pitch the 9th, just that Thornton would be one of his likely options to pitch part of it.

3. Phelps faced Ortiz in the 8th, with two outs and the bases empty. It wasn’t the 9th inning. That’s not at all a spot where Girardi would’ve considered using Thornton given the state of their bullpen last night.

• nycsportzfan says:

I said he went with who he liked in that situation, not meaning as a person..lol

And yes, if he was gonna go with Thornton, he could of easily brought him in for the 4out save, and know one would of said anything, because Phelps haden’t been pitching good to this point. It was tremendous managing, and shows hes not a slave to a binder as most think he is.

4. The Guns of Navarone says:

Time for CC’s annual beatdown by the Red Sox

5. Yangeddard Solarte says:

If everyone says it’s a non-issue maybe Kay can treat it the same.

6. nycsportzfan says:

Wow, dynamic pitch to get Napoli looking!

7. Yangeddard Solarte says:

Looked like the same pitch, one a ball and one he called strike 3.

8. The Other Matt says:

I like CC’s demeanor on the mound to start off, he really looks like he has confidence in his pitches and the way he’s throwing the ball.

9. The Guns of Navarone says:

Runs. Early and often.

10. fred robbins says:

i just wonder if CC can pitch a first inning of a ballgame anymore without giving up runs and putting his team in the hole…. usually one they can not dig out of…. Now it’s early, so hopefully this will be completely without cause when CC mows them down!

11. forensic says:

Woohoo, CC ddn’t put the Yanks nearly out of the game in the 1st inning. Hopefully he’s got about 6 more innings kind of like that in him tonight.

• nycsportzfan says:

He showed improvement in his 2nd start , as he was pitching extremely well into the 6th, before he gave up those 3runs(4overall). I thought it was a good sign, and showed he was on the right path to being CC we all know.

12. Wheels says:

Good start for CC.

13. The Other Matt says:

It’s good that Girardi has Jeter batting leadoff with Ellsbury in the 2 hole tonight. Cuts down the chance of Ellsbury legs being put to waste with a potential DP by Derek Jeter, then again Beltran grounds into his share of DP, as well.

14. CountryClub says:

The ball was a strike and the strike was a ball. Same result.

15. Dalek Jeter says:

An almost clean inning for CC! In the first! I’m into it now.

16. The Other Matt says:

Feeble AB by Beltran there, to say the least.

17. forensic says:

Well, that was quick.

• nsalem says:

I walked into a restaurant to pick up food I ordered as the inning started. By the time I got into my car the bottom half was over. Must of been under 4 minutes.

18. Yangeddard Solarte says:

CC looks real good. If you don’t have overpowering stuff you must use deception and CC is doing that tonight.

19. nsalem says:

CC’s looks like he’s got the S&M thing going tonight.

20. forensic says:

Nice, match Lester’s quick inning with one of your own. Hopefully the offense will see more than 8 pitches this time, though.

21. Dalek Jeter says:

CC and Lester both look good, hopefully we can scratch across a run or two and the bullpen can hold that up.

22. Dalek Jeter says:

ALPHONSO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. The Other Matt says:

SORI !!!

24. Yangeddard Solarte says:

Sori needs to get hot.

25. Wheels says:

I’d like to see Cervelli do some damage tonight.

• nycsportzfan says:

I’m kinda hoping for some more Solarte magic, personally. But yeah, Cervelli showing the world what kinda catching depth we got, would be nice as well.

26. Wheels says:

Sori!

27. forensic says:

Yes! Hopefully Soriano’s not trying to match Ortiz’ pitiful time around the bases, though.

28. nycsportzfan says:

Soriano starting to get in that power groove! Fuck yeah!

29. Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

What have you done for me lately, Yangervis?

30. Dalek Jeter says:

Btw guys, was there anything on the pregame about Gardner coming up a little lame in his last AB. It almost got completely wiped away after PINE-eda Gate, but I remember him coming up while running to first in his last AB and walking a little gingerly back to the dugout.

• forensic says:

Nothing that I saw, I made the same comment at the very top of this thread. I can’t believe no one asked about it.

• The Other Matt says:

I don’t think they mentioned anything about it, though I didn’t catch it until about 6:40. I definitely noticed it though last night while watching the game, and Kay pointed out when it happened. I hope it’s nothing, and that Girardi just decided to get Ichiro in the lineup since he hits well against left handers, and has good numbers vs. Lester, while Gardner doesn’t.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Hopefully that’s the case then.

• The Other Matt says:

I just watched the video of Girardi meeting with media before the game, and I couldn’t quite hear what the question was that was asked to Girardi, but he responded, “Yeah. He’s ok.” So, maybe he was alluding to Gardner there, cause it came right after a question about who was in and out of the lineup.

31. Joe D. says:

Anyone from the Yankees reading this? No? Well, just in case:

That I can’t find a radio station online to listen to the game is reason #1252 I haven’t bought a ticket in three years or merchandize in over five years.

Enjoy the continuous alienation of your fan base, and I’ll enjoy watching you struggle to get 50% capacity in Yankee Stadium despite a winter spending spree.

Eat a fat one
    Joe D.

• Dalek Jeter says:

If you pay $20 you can listen to literally any game on mlb.com, just like with every. other. team. in. baseball.

• Dalek Jeter says:

for $20 bucks you can access multiple radio feeds of literally every game in the country, all you need is an internet connection. Even if you’re only doing it for one team, that works out to 12 cents a game. I get that it’s not your that you guys don’t live in the NYC area, but if you can’t spare 12 cents a game to listen you’re either incredibly poor or don’t care enough to spend the 12 cents. If it’s the former I have nothing but sympathy, if it’s the latter, just shut up and realize that even people who live in your team’s metro area pay to watch. It’s the world we live in.

• forensic says:

It’s $20 for an entire season of Gameday Audio from MLB.com. If you haven’t bought tickets and merchandise in 3-5 years, you probably should’ve been able to save $20 over that time.

• nsalem says:

If you want to hold a fundraiser put me down for 3 dollars.

• Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

You’re exceedingly generous. Considering his attitude and his belief that someone from the team would read his comment, I wouldn’t pledge a ha-penny.

32. nsalem says:

That bodes well!!!!!

33. The Guns of Navarone says:

Nice! Love that inning from CC.

34. Wheels says:

nice CC.

35. Rolling Doughnut says:

Great start by CC. Haven’t seen him in control like this in a long time. Nice.

36. nycsportzfan says:

Would that be considered a Baltimore chop?(jeets infield single)

• The Other Matt says:

Precisely.

• forensic says:

According to Sterling, yes, but he also said it hit off the plate, which isn’t a Baltimore Chop. A Baltimore Chop is supposed to be a ball that bounces high after hitting the hard dirt in front of the plate.

So, as usual, the moral of the story is to not believe all of the John Sterling version of the game.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I’ve said it before, I’ve listened to entire games with Sterling then watched the encore when I got home and seriously wondered “Did Sterling call the same game I’m watching right now?”

• nycsportzfan says:

I always thought it was off the plate, myself.

37. Chip Rodriguez says:

Sigh, a walk on four balls, and then swinging at the next pitch?

38. CountryClub says:

We might get two games in a row under three hours. Not a small thing with these two playing each other.

39. The Other Matt says:

Strikeouts early, and soft line outs and ground outs now. I’ll take it.

40. The Guns of Navarone says:

I seriously love David Cone. I could listen to him commentate on a game every day. And I wouldn’t mind slammin a few beers down with him either.

• nyyankfan_7 says:

fuck the beers I want to slam down some blow with Coney, Doc & Straw.

• Axis of Mike says:

I agree! The pitcher’s choice of what to pitch when and how fast is the most interesting facet of the game to me and sometimes he illuminates me. I liked what he said about sometimes having to throw the fastball in the fastball count.

• Dalek Jeter says:

My one buddy loves telling this story: Him and a bunch of his friends decided to try LSD while on vacation in 99, and went into a bar. It happened to be the day Cone pitched his perfect game. Apparently Coney grew horns and was throwing balls made out of fire.

• The Other Matt says:

That story actually rivals that of the perfect game itself.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Man, you’d love his telling of the story, because apparently they all saw the same thing and sort of turned to each other and simultaneously realized they were all seeing it. The guy in question also has a way with stories to make you feel like you were there and experiencing it as well.

41. Yangeddard Solarte says:

Hit some more HRs, CC’s pitching a gem for a change. And no BGDP in that pen to close it out.

42. nsalem says:

Mike Stanley also has the highest OPSof any catcher in Yankee history with over 1500 PA’s.

43. your mom says:

Anyone check CC’s palms or forearms tonight? How about Lester for that matter?

44. forensic says:

This can’t be Red Sox-Yankees. They’re in the 5th inning after only about an hour of playing.

45. Axis of Mike says:

Howdy, peeps. Just checking in here. LOVING me some CC so far.

46. Axis of Mike says:

Hello, that was a nice play by the Captain! Musta heard all the grumbling.

47. The Guns of Navarone says:

David Ross = trouble

48. Dalek Jeter says:

I have to ask: any chance that should’ve been 2?

49. nsalem says:

If it was Jose Molina on first maybe.

50. Axis of Mike says:

What’s the ideal lineup? I agree Ellsbury should be 1sr. Jeter 2nd then Gardner (Ichiro) then Beltran?

51. forensic says:

In case anyone was wondering, the homerun count currently stands:

Dean Anna: 1
    Ramiro Pena: 1
    Robinson Cano: 0

;-)

• nsalem says:

I think it will be a way different story by the time Cano leaves Yankee stadium in a couple of weeks.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Ramiro Pena can hit the ball to the warning track?

• The Guns of Navarone says:

Add Gardy to that mix.

Robbie’s killin’ the ball right now too, but he’ll miss YS3 before long. I personally like to check in on Hughes and Joba and see that they continue to suck.

• forensic says:

Eh, Gardner’s at least a quality major league hitter. Anna and Pena, not so much.

Robbie started the season killing the ball, but he’s hit a short little lull (0-9) and his season OPS is now under .800.

• nsalem says:

Gardner has much more power than Pena.

52. Dalek Jeter says:

Run Ichiro!

53. The Other Matt says:

CC really dislikes Jackie Bradley, Jr. He just called him a sorry ass motherf*cker, just now. And I specifically remember last year after he struck him out one time at the Stadium, he said, “Sit yo b*tch ass down.” LMFAO. I love it. I wonder why he dislikes Bradley so much though.

• Axis of Mike says:

Seriously?!

• The Other Matt says:

Dead serious. Certain things just stay in your mind for one reason or another, probably because I love when guys show emotion in baseball. But the instance last inning was clear as day. They even showed it going to break in slow mo.

• The Guns of Navarone says:

Lol, really?! CC gets a little fired up sometimes. Maybe it’s not Bradley.

• The Other Matt says:

I know he does. And I like it. But normally he curses at himself, or pumps his fist. But I specifically remembered how pissed and amped he seemed when he struck out Bradley last year, and just now it wasn’t blatant. I have nothing against, I actually do love it. I was just making notice of it.

54. Paul coletti says:

Bunt Roberts! Dang!

55. Axis of Mike says:

Question: do we think Roberts is a better hitter than we’ve seen so far?

(my answer: I hope so!)

• Axis of Mike says:

Just checked, .278 career BA so yeah, he should heat up.

• The Guns of Navarone says:

You can throw his career numbers straight out the window with all the injuries he’s had and time he’s missed.

• forensic says:

During his healthy years, there’d be no question about it. But, he hasn’t hit much the last 4 years even when on the field. At the moment, it’s not necessarily killing them because he’s working the count and getting on base a bit, but eventually it’d be nice if he dropped a hit or three in there too.

56. Wheels says:

Dammit.

57. nsalem says:

3rd time around Fingers crossed.

58. forensic says:

Yuck.

59. Wheels says:

Might wanna get someone up in the pen.

60. TheRealGreg says:

I’m afraid where this is going

61. nycsportzfan says:

Wow, CC again, blew it. I thought for sure, he was gonna give us 7 really good innings.

62. forensic says:

Ugh, bad CC is back…

Good CC was nice while it lasted.

63. Yangeddard Solarte says:

And he blew it. You just knew he’d blow it. Unbelievable. Unbelievable.

64. Wheels says:

lame.

65. BrienTaylorsRookieCard says:

Hey maybe espn could do an article on the red sox beards – you know an interest piece. That would be _super_ interesting.

66. miky says:

Boy if he’s the ace are we in trouble!!

67. Yangeddard Solarte says:

This guy just shouldn’t be on the staff. He’ll have a 7 ERA and they still won’t do a damn thing about it. 4 runs is the minimum he’ll give up now.

68. Rolling Doughnut says:

3d time around + 2 mistakes = 1 crooked number.

69. TheRealGreg says:

It’s official. He’s become AJ Burnett

70. Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

I blame that on Cone.

71. The Guns of Navarone says:

Fucking EVERYONE saw that coming except anyone on the Yankees coaching staff apparently.

72. Algernon Blackwood says:

Watching a washed up cc is painful

73. TheRealGreg says:

He’s TURNED INTO FUCKING AJ BURNETT.

Fuck you Brian Cashman, Fuck you

74. nycsportzfan says:

Jesus, this dude is fucking annoying. How you can look so good, and completely lose it, this quickly, is beyond me? So depressing.

• The Guns of Navarone says:

And that’s what’s truly frustrating. I haven’t seen him pitch a game this good in I don’t know when… and he still sucks.

God help him when he’s off his game.

• nycsportzfan says:

Just like his last start, as he was also pitching a very good game into the 6th, and then got smacked around.

75. The Other Matt says:

I honestly thought to myself at the beginning of this inning, that I hope the Yankees last inning up at bat wasn’t too quick, and didn’t give CC enough amount of time to settle down into his rhythm. And I know it may sound trivial, but I honestly think that plays a part to him being ineffective this inning.

• The Guns of Navarone says:

I honestly thought and agreed with Cone that someone should’ve settled him down after the Ortiz check swing hit. You could tell he was on tilt after that, missing his spots and not throwing strikes. Then…boom.

76. TheRealGreg says:

I hate Brian Cashman with every single fiber in my being.

His inability to develop quality starting pitching has led us to give contracts to older pitchers which leads to this.

• Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

Greg, go root for someone else then. You’re going to fucking kill yourself at this rate.

• Evan3457 says:

…he said, at the moment when 3 of the Yanks’ 5 rotation members are 26 or younger…

• TheRealGreg says:

If those 3 can win 15-20 games each then we will be in good shape.

• forensic says:

Well, to be fair, the Yankees didn’t develop two of the three of them, and the one they did develop is the most inconsistent (as far as we can tell so far) and possibly worst of the three.

77. teddy says:

giradri faill cc. that stupid shift on a righthanded batter gets them beat again. 2 bad pithes for cc

78. nycsportzfan says:

Come on offense, time to wake up!

79. your mom says:

Sizemore? Really? What the fuck is Boston giving their players? Whatever it is, it’s working.

I couldn’t have predicted that CC would shit the bed at some point.

80. nycsportzfan says:

We just gotta work Lester alittle more, we can get to this pen! Get one back against Lester, and take it against the pen, baby!

81. Tom says:

You got the feeling after the check swing single to Ortiz that things might unravel.

I actually thought Napoli was going to deposit a 3-0 pitch into the stands, but that pitch he made to him for the single was a decent pitch (especially for a 3-0 pitch and a batter sitting dead red).

CC has just no margin for error with the reduced velocity, and he’s never been a great command guy. The scary thing is the one pitch he used to command well, the slider, is the one he appears to be having problems with.

82. nycsportzfan says:

Nice hit Ells! Dudes been great so far!

83. Paul coletti says:

Cc is cussing out every sox after an inning…threw out a SOB at last batter…but cc, be pissed at yourself…and learn hot to pitch with a low cell…wish they yanked him after the fifth..oh well. Come on offense…

84. Tom says:

This would be a nice spot for Beltran to run into one and start getting hot.

85. nycsportzfan says:

Come on Beltran, Sori’s swinging good right now , just get on base!

86. nycsportzfan says:

Don’t know what ur looking for, Beltran? Hopefully Sori can get this all important run in with 2outs. Right back in it, if he does.

87. your mom says:

I watched the replay on Sizemore’s HR and CC missed his spot by a foot with what appears to be a shitty slider.

88. Lukaszek says:

Come on Sori, hit one into the Harlem River

89. TheRealGreg says:

I mean CC is a fifth starter. So you need someone else to become the ace. The problem is that Kuroda is too old and the others are either too inexperienced or too inconsistent

As Beltran strikes out. Massive disappointment.

• nycsportzfan says:

We just need guys to pitch good. CC’s are only pitcher, whos pitching bad. We just gotta win the games that are pitched well, which means, our offense needs to pick it up alittle. We’ve left some pitching performances out on the field so far, early on in the season.

• The Guns of Navarone says:

Thank God they signed Beltran in time for his rapid decline.

90. YankeeDJW says:

I already hated Johnny Gomes and his big mouth before. Now he’ll be smirking all night. Thanks for nothing CC.

• your mom says:

I agree. Gomes is a douche. But you could say that about most of the Red Sox. Especially Pierzwhateversky.

• YankeeDJW says:

True. The only Sox I don’t detest yet are the young guys like Bogarts and Bradley Jr. But their time will come, I’m sure. It comes with the city.

91. AugieM says:

Whatever happened to R. Tilapia?

92. Brandon says:

Jonny Gomes is a piece of shit human being. And Grady Sizemore has to be on steroids

93. Axis of Mike says:

I like the sound of the upcoming hitters: Cervelli, Solarte, Suzuki.

94. Hmm could of signed Cano and Sizemore , EH

95. fred robbins says:

nice tease for a little bit…. Thanks to Joey G and his insistence on slating CC as the Ace… he will always be matched up against most teams best or second best… and he continues to put the Yankees in a hole too big for them to come back from….

Will Girardi ever re-shuffle the rotation to get CC where he belongs? either # 4 or 5 or on the DL—- there might not be a team that would pick him up on waivers– although for that price he would be picked up….

what a shame– neither Cashman or Girardi care to look reality in the face and make a change that will help the team…

and it’s so amazing to see Grady Sizemore do well… If he stays healthy, he will be a much better addition than any the Yankees have made — other than Pineda– the star of the staff

• WhittakerWalt says:

I don’t get all this griping about where CC pitches in the rotation. He’s on the team. He’s going to pitch. Who cares when it happens? Yanks have scored one measly run, so there’s a pretty good chance none of their pitchers was getting a win with that kind of support.

96. WhittakerWalt says:

GOD DAMMIT

97. The Guns of Navarone says:

This offense…

98. YankeeDJW says:

This offense is horrible. I don’t know if we’ll have a single blowout all season.

99. Bronx Boy says:

Suzoooks!

100. nycsportzfan says:

Tying run up to the plate, baby!

101. Bronx Boy says:

Whole team gathers to hear pitching coach say, “Let’s get this guy out.”

102. nycsportzfan says:

Kelly Johnson baby!!! Huge AB!

103. Chip Rodriguez says:

if they bring in a RHP, do we pinch hit McCann for Jeter (then put Anna in)?

104. Bronx Boy says:

Send him straight to the Johnson library in Texas! (No, I don’t know what that means.)

105. Yangeddard Solarte says:

Kelly Johnson is clutch! Tie the ballgame!

106. Tom says:

Nothing better than watching Lester pout on the mound and then give something up.

He does this shit all the time – usually it’s in the early innings hoping he’ll get a call later in the game. Hoye’s been calling a pitcher’s zone all night (for both teams) and he get all pissy when he doesn’t get one marginal pitch.

107. Chip Rodriguez says:

Ugh.

108. Wheels says:

shit.

109. YankeeDJW says:

I live in Boston and have to watch on NESN’s awful broadcast. Jerry Remy is still complaining about a call Lester didn’t get, saying it was strike three to Roberts. This is despite the NESN strike zone showing it was outside repeatedly.

110. WhittakerWalt says:

“CC I thought pitched a terrific game”

John effing Sterling, giving Hawk Harrelson serious competition for World’s Biggest Homer

• FIPster Doofus says:

Is he really that off-base? I mean, 7 IP, 9 K, 2 BB is nice. He made one big mistake.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Yeah but it’s just more of the “if you take away all the runs he gave up he pitched great” nonsense. Of course his line looks good if you don’t count the runs he gave up, but the runs happened. The bad pitches happened. I’m tired of hearing the litany of excuses and lowered expectations for CC. Those were not unearned runs. He gave them up. He’s giving up 5 homers in 19 innings.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Maybe I’ve just lowered my expectations. I pretty much see him as the fourth starter now, salary and past performance be damned.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Even lowering expecations, “terrific” is a bit of a stretch.

• nycsportzfan says:

I don’t think it matters, as long as your starting pitchers are winning games, it don’t matter whos doing it in what rotation spot. Alot of times, a new guy will emerge during the season as the ace, as it happens every yr. It just dosen’t matter. We will win some games , if CC pitches the exact way he did tonight. It wasent terrible, we just didn’t score enough. 7inn 4er 9k 2bb is solid. Your not gonna win, when you score 2 runs. It’ll all work itself out as the season progresses.

• nycsportzfan says:

I wasen’t speaking being specific to the Yanks, when I said a new ace emerges every yr. I was talking around the entire ML”s..

111. Bronx Boy says:

Live by the Jetes die by the Jetes

• WhittakerWalt says:

Jeter hasn’t hit righties for the past 5 years at least. There was no reason to think he’d hit Tazawa there.

• Bronx Boy says:

All I know is he isn’t going to be pulled for a PH. Not going to happen, so why sweat it?

• WhittakerWalt says:

Just because we all know it’s not going to happen doesn’t make it any less frustrating.

• Yankee Fan 1 says:

You guys are seriously complaining that Joe didn’t pinch hit with McCann? lol

• WhittakerWalt says:

Jeter doesn’t hit hard-throwing righties. It has nothing to do with his status as a legendary player. It’s just not his thing, and hasn’t been for years. Jeter’s my favorite player, that doesn’t mean I just ignore the things he’s bad at.

• Bronx Boy says:

I don’t know, man – Jeter’s gone beyond, you know, into legend, the rarest type of player, and we’ll be talking about him forever, so I say go up there and hack, dude, and I’m just gonna sit here and savor every at bat. That’s just me, of course.

112. WhittakerWalt says:

Should have PH there.

113. Bill says:

I really like hearing the same guy on this broadcast mention Betances several times while pronouncing his name differently each time.

114. Bill says:

Bettinces, Be-TAN-ces, Be-TAHN-ces.

115. Wheels says:

Ells, Beltran, Sori due up. Let’s do this

116. John Duci says:

Cc was dominate tonight. Everyone shut up. He’s our number 3 in reality and he looked damn good tonight. One bad pitch to Sizemore. We’re still taking 3 of 4

117. Rolling Doughnut says:

This one’s not on CC. He had a reasonably good outing. Two mistakes, otherwise he was pretty dominating. It’s hard to win if you score only 2 runs.

118. Duci says:

Tripe earning time?

119. WhittakerWalt says:

OK, forget everything I said about PHing McCann. Fuck that guy.

120. TheRealGreg says:

Gone away and thought about it. 7IP with 4 ER was probably what you have expected coming in

121. Bronx Boy says:

Nasty ass pitch. McCaan over-matched.

122. nycsportzfan says:

Wow McCann, at least get done dirty by a ball thats hittable. Swingin at shit in critical time of game.

123. Wheels says:

Weak.

124. Tom says:

Should have PH the power hitting lefty on the bench…. Dean Anna!

That probably was their chance with Uehara coming in and the bottom of the order up. They’ll need some Solarte magic to get on and hope someone runs into something.

• The Other Matt says:

They just need to string together a few good at bats. You don’t exactly need a blast, just a few base runners and try to get something started.

125. Bronx Boy says:

Betance pitches like Beyonce dances – with heat.

126. The Other Matt says:

That pitch that Betances struck out Ross on was 96 with late movement. Wow. I know it’s a broken record on here, but if Betances can maintain control consistently he is going to be a gem.

127. Bill says:

Uheara is overrated. This is a blown save. He’s about to pull a Joba.

128. Chip Rodriguez says:

Betances looked nasty.

129. Bronx Boy says:

Oh man, it’s great to have some these young arms up here this season.

130. Mick taylor says:

Yanks should sign Travis hafner and Grady sizemore

131. nycsportzfan says:

Thats why I said its alittle early to give up on Betances in big situations.

132. Bill says:

Ichiro HR to right field.

133. Tom says:

Mujica?

They should light this chump up.

134. Duci says:

Yankees lose and euhara doesn’t even get a save

135. BigBlueAL says:

This offense is just as bad as last season’s. 5-6-7 in the order of Cervelli-Solarte-Ichiro says it all. Beyond pathetic.

• TheRealGreg says:

Not Ichiro. 2 for 4.

Axisa tweeted that Solarte is beginning to enter David Adams territory

• BigBlueAL says:

Ichiro sucks. 2 for 4 tonight and a few other singles this season doesnt change that fact. The fact that he started tonight vs a LHP because he was apparently the best option matchup wise says it all at how bad this offense is constructed right now.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Well of course. I knew he would.

• Winter says:

Thing is that’s our offense on a bad day this year. That was our offense on a good day last year.

• BigBlueAL says:

39 runs in 11 games. I know they wont be this bad the entire season but the upside for this offense is I fear nowhere near as high as we had hoped. Also they still are extremely vulnerable to LHP as they were last season.

We got spoiled by great offenses for over a decade I know but at this point they get down 3 runs and the game seems over.

136. Duci says:

Solaris is cooling off

137. Duci says:

So discussing bottom 9 and we have solarte and Ichiro up first. 2 of the worst hitters in the al

138. nycsportzfan says:

Straight as a arrow fastball, and he swing right through it. God damn Gardy! Oh well, Kuroda shuts em down tomorrow.

139. The Other Matt says:

Welp ….

140. Bill says:

So if Solarte really slows down big time and Brendan Ryan is ready to come back does he get sent down? Or is it Anna? I’d perfer to cut ties with Roberts soon as possible.

• nycsportzfan says:

Solarte won’t be in the lineup tomorrow, I bet. Just got a hunch. Anna at 3rd, Cap at SS, Roberts at 2B, and Johnson at 1st. Give Solarte a day off, and see if that gets him back in that groove.

141. fred robbins says:

a lot of accurate comments and realistic frustrations. That’s what comes with being a fan.
    True, Jeter will not be pinch hit for, and true enough one bad pitch does not give CC or Joe the right to crow about a great performance.

When I said he should not be slated as #1, I understand that it doesn’t matter once the season gets going, but it does matter in terms of who he is matched up against- and he usually ends up against pitchers the Yankees are not going to get 6 runs off of. which is what I think it takes to get a win in a game he pitches….

He’s just a back end guy now and Cashman or Joey can not admit that because as it is, they can not justify the extension he was given.
    It will be this and worse for the next 3 years.

At least the division is up for grabs and injuries may be the biggest factor for all the teams in the East