Apr

Game Five: Big Mike is here

BIG MIKE IS HERE

The Yankees got their first look at Masahiro Tanaka last night and things went very well following a rough first two innings. This afternoon they will finally get their first look at Michael Pineda, who has not thrown a meaningful pitch these last two years because of shoulder surgery. Both Hector Noesi and Jesus Montero have flamed out (obligatory they’re still young, yadda yadda yadda) and Jose Campos has yet to escape Low-A ball. It’s been 802 days since the trade. 802!

Pineda is finally ready to help the Yankees. He pitched well in Spring Training but, most importantly, he looked healthy. His delivery was free and easy, the ball came out of his hand well, and his slider was allergic to bats. He checked every box in camp. Regular season baseball is a different animal though, and I’m sure he’ll be a little nervous even though he’s pitched in the big leagues before. After missing this much time, he probably feels like a rookie again. Either way, Big Mike is finally here.

In case you missed it earlier, Mark Teixeira has been placed on the 15-day DL with a right hamstring strain. Austin Romine was called up and Frankie Cervelli will see some time at first base. Joe Girardi told Dan Barbarisi that David Robertson is not available this afternoon after working back-to-back days, so Shawn Kelley is the closer du jour. Wouldn’t be surprised if Matt Thornton gets the call for the final few outs if lefties are due up. Here is the Blue Jays lineup and here is the Yankees lineup:

1. CF Jacoby Ellsbury
  2. SS Derek Jeter
  3. RF Carlos Beltran
  4. DH Brian McCann
  5. LF Alfonso Soriano
  6. 1B Kelly Johnson
  7. C Frankie Cervelli
  8. 3B Yangervis Solarte
  9. 2B Dean Anna
    RHP Michael Pineda

It is really cold and drizzling in Toronto, so I assume the Rogers Centre roof will be closed for the game. First pitch is scheduled for 1:08pm ET and can be seen on YES. Enjoy.

Categories : Game Threads

1. Dalek Jeter says:

Are they sure they should start Pineda? I mean his 0 fWAR is already over a win and a half better than Noesi’s and Monetero’s since the trade. They clearly already won.

#WAR works in mysterious ways

2. TCMiller30 says:

Can’t wait to see Pineda pitch today.

3. The Guns of Navarone says:

I would think (hope) Betances is available. Throw him right back out there after his short outing last night. Now that Tanaka made his debut, Betances is the guy I’m most excited to watch this season. A 6’8 behemoth with a knee-buckler… that’s what gets me hot and bothered.

4. The Guns of Navarone says:

This infield… I can’t even.

5. Dalek Jeter says:

This is why I’d make a terrible big league manager. The logic part of my brain completely understands giving Gardner a day off today. Long road trip, turf, guy with an injury history, yadda yadda. However in the wake of the Tex injury the reactionary part of my brain is screaming “You gotta have all the regulars in there until Tex comes back!!!!!”

• Dalek Jeter says:

OH GOD ROBERTS IS SITTING TOO WHY?!??!?!?!?!?!?

/halfkidding

• The Guns of Navarone says:

See, I think Girardi’s handling of the lineup so far has been borderline ridiculous. I can see giving Jeter or Teixeira (and of course Beltran a DH day) a break this early in the season, but other than that I just flat out don’t get it. And you’d make a fine manager. Don’t sell yourself short!

• Dalek Jeter says:

Now because of eddard I went to look up the team’s numbers off of Dickey. Gardner is one of the guys that seems to hit him well, along with Soriano of all people. Again, hugely reactionary, but my line up today would be:

LF Gardner
      SS Jeter
      CF Ells
      C McCann
      DH Soriano
      RF Beltran
      1B Johnson
      3B Solarte
      2B Anna

• The Other Matt says:

This is exactly why the Yankees should have brought back Mark Reynolds. Now he is wasting away as the right handed hitter in a platoon at 1B in Milwaukee. Meanwhile, Lyle Overbay plays damn near everyday at 1B for them. Having Reynolds would of gave the Yankees insurance for both 1B/3B, and he would have probably received just as many AB’s here in New York as he will in Milwaukee. I give credit to the front office for making the moves they did this off-season, but they missed the boat on that one. They knew Teixeira was at risk for injury, not only with the wrist, but he had some injuries in the past as well, and they did absolutely nothing to give themselves any resemblance of insurance. I sure hope this isn’t anything more than 15 days. But with hamstrings, even if he comes back in 2 weeks, that is something that will have to be monitored for a while, along with the wrist.

• lightSABR says:

That’s what I thought until I took the time to look at Reynolds’ actual stats. Turns out, he’s not very good. There’s a good chance we’re better off with what we’ve got.

6. Yangeddard Solarte says:

I don’t like our chances today. Pineda may do ok but Dickey is going to flummox this lineup like he usually does. Pineda probably can’t give up more than a couple runs. I don’t see them pounding Dickey like they were teenagers. Tough match up for Mike Pineda in his first game back.

7. lightSABR says:

Hulk smash!

8. The Other Matt says:

Was kind of ironic seeing highlights from 2011 of Pineda against the Yankees during the Yankees BP show. They showed him against the guys that are still on the club: Gardner, Teixeira, and Jeter, then you had Cano, A-Rod, and Posada.

1. Cano (now in Seattle, Pineda now in NY)
    2. A-Rod (suspended a part of the Biogenesis investigation, along with the guy Pineda was traded for: Montero)
    3. Posada (Pineda was traded for the guy that was groomed to be his obvious successor, Montero once again)

9. TheRealGreg says:

I remember that Axisa really liked Noesi and now he has been designated for assignement by Seattle.

10. Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

I guess it’s kinda interesting that Jeter only ever had one walk off HR in his career.

11. Dalek Jeter says:

“Mike” Pineda sounds weird. Can we call him Michael Pineda?

12. Nathan says:

I still remember the day when the Yankees got Kuroda and Pineda. I was a little upset they traded Montero but was pumped they got Pineda. I remember I was more like “oh…ok” about Kuroda but wow…what a difference 800+ days makes. Kuroda has been a rock in the rotation while Pineda is just now POTENTIALLY making his presence felt.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I loved the Kuroda pick up, I was calling for a trade for him during the 2010 and 2011 seasons…but I HATED the Montero/Pineda trade when the news first broke. Then I went home and did my research on Pineda, realized how good he was and came to like it.

• FIPster Doofus says:

I loved the Kuroda signing, too, but was ambivalent about the trade – excited to get Pineda, sad to see Montero go after all the buildup as a prospect and then his hot start as a Yankee.

• The Guns of Navarone says:

Yup, I remember the first thing I did was go to MLB.com and watch highlights of Pineda. I wasn’t so upset after that.

13. stuckey says:

Can a brother get a scoreless bottom half of the first??

14. Cuso says:

Buck Martinez just called him Jerek Deter without correcting himself

15. The Doctor says:

Jeez, take some pitches guys. Jeter should’ve easily had a walk there and both Ells and Beltran are jumping on them pretty early.

16. Dalek Jeter says:

Pineda “won the 5th starter job out of nowhere” according to Sterling.

17. W.B. Mason Williams says:

I’m just gonna say that the hat tilt makes him more aerodynamic during his follow-through.

Yeah.

18. The Doctor says:

I’m more happy to see 95 mph fastballs all over the place than I would’ve been with getting Melky out. The fact that he was holding back a bit, even towards the end of Spring Training, certainly shows some maturity.

19. Dalek Jeter says:

I’m starting to really dislike Melky. After taking Tanaka deep in the first last night he’s making Pineda really work hard to open today.

20. Havok9120 says:

I missed the top of the first, but I’ll say it for the bottom half.

We play for Prussia, we win for Prussia.

Ge dem stål! (yes, that’s Swedish. Gotta keep all the bases covered)

21. jay destro says:

im just talkin’ bout #bigmike

22. TheRealGreg says:

Artificial turf hit

23. The Other Matt says:

That 1-2 pitch to Rasmus was a strike. Gladly he fanned him on the next pitch.

24. JonS says:

His slider is nasty…

25. The Guns of Navarone says:

Fuck was that pitch?

26. TheRealGreg says:

WHERE WAS THAT?

27. Dalek Jeter says:

Kendrys Morales is an “outstanding” first baseman according to John and Suzyn.

28. Dalek Jeter says:

Too many pitches for Pineda in the first. Gotta work on that, but besides that it sounds like he was pretty good.

29. Havok9120 says:

Some of those breaking balls….

*drools*

30. The Guns of Navarone says:

Okay… Pineda looks pretty filthy. I expected him to come out 88-90mph like he was in Spring. This is crazy. Hope he’s not overthrowing.

31. Ron says:

If Pineda is really 93-95 the whole game. Our rotation is crazyyyy. Cc is #5

32. The Guns of Navarone says:

And if the ump is gonna give Dickey these borderline calls it’s gonna be a long, or short, day.

33. Winter says:

Just went back and watched the Rasmus K because I missed it; that 0-1 pitch was filthy.

• The Guns of Navarone says:

And that 94mph fastball on the black that should’ve struck him out… and the slider he swung over after that. Very filthy.

34. Havok9120 says:

If he’s gonna sit here with the fastball, I assume he’ll tire out by the end of his outing. And his control needs some work at this velocity, so he’s definitely wound up for his first start of the year…

But it sure is nice to know he’s capable of dialing it up that high this early.

35. Dalek Jeter says:

1. I’m not loving this strike zone.
    2. I’m wishing Pineda all the best and I’m just listening/following on GameDay…but there was a Hughesian vibe to that Lind AB.

• Winter says:

Eh, looked like he hit a hanging slider that Pineda left up. If it were Hughes it would have been a straight fastball.

• The Doctor says:

He’s missing his spots, bit different from Hughes. He totally has a put away pitch, and it’s working, just having trouble setting up with the fastball. Probably a bit jumpy out there for the first time in a while. Give it a few starts before we start drawing comparisons like that.

36. Havok9120 says:

Wow. What the heck was that?

I’ll take it.

37. Electric says:

So they called up Romine? I’d like to see McCann take over at 1b and let Cervelli roll 4 days a week for a while.

• Havok9120 says:

I’m pretty sure they’ll do the opposite. Cervelli plays 1B and McCann sticks at C.

• The Guns of Navarone says:

Seriously? Did Cervelli take reps at 1B in the Spring?

• Havok9120 says:

Not to my knowledge.

It’s gonna depend on how willing they are to use McCann at 1B this early on. I think using him there would be best (unless they still want to trade Frankie), but I’m not sure they want the big new investment chilling at 1B for two weeks.

And I definitely think they want to keep them both in the lineup right now.

• Preston says:

I don’t know what he did this spring but they’ve thrown him into games at both 3b and 2b. Girardi is obviously confident in the glove.

• Winter says:

I don’t think they’re going to stick McCann at 1B (unless it’s an emergency) this early in his Yankees tenure.

• Jersey Joe says:

Eh. Cervelli’s trade value goes up if he catches. I think McCann will get a good amount of starts at 1st.

38. Govin says:

Hey guys I’m watching Pineda on gameday, and its saying he’s throwing a lot of cutters. Is he purposefully throwing cutters or is gameday just getting his 4 seem confused?

39. nycsportzfan says:

Cervelli wacked that thing! Leadoff Doub!

40. Dalek Jeter says:

1st inning with John and Suzyn- “Yankees don’t have enough depth.”
    3rd inning with John and Suzyn- “Gotta love the Yankees depth.”

wut?

41. The Doctor says:

Gameday had neither of those first two strikes in the zone. Wonderful.

42. Winter says:

Solarte’s probably never faced a knuckleballer, no?

43. Yangeddard Solarte says:

Frankie picked up right where he left off last year. He should be untouchable trade wise. We need him as insurance. Look at 1B where they have no insurance. Drive him in Yangy.

• Mike HC says:

I’m loving the bench guys contributions, but I just remember how quickly last years bench guys fell off a cliff. So I guess I’m cautiously optimistic going forward.

• Winter says:

“He should be untouchable trade wise.”

Lol. Unless he’s Mike Trout, he’s not untouchable.

44. RetroRob says:

Rookies facing knuckleballers generally lead to outcome of the last two ABs.

45. Jersey Joe says:

Carlos Pena: temporary 1st base help, then trade him for an arm?

• Winter says:

Pena is done. He’ll provide the Yankees with zero value, and they won’t be able to trade him for shit.

• Mike HC says:

I remember liking Pena like 3-4 years ago as an old, cheap power source in fantasy. Now, I guess he will keep playing as long as they pay him.

• Winter says:

No one’s paying him, though. I don’t know why Joe thinks someone will trade for him if no one’s even willing to sign him.

• pat says:

Why would anybody trade for Carlos Pena?

• Preston says:

The last four years of Carlos Pena by WAR .8, 2.2 (dead cat bounce), .7, -.5 and then he got cut by the Angels who are starting Raul Ibanez at DH and have John McDonald, Ian Stewart and Colin Cowgill on the bench. Not very inspiring. I’d rather give the AB’s to Frankie.

46. Yangeddard Solarte says:

Can’t block the plate!

47. Yangeddard Solarte says:

Wouldn’t this be something if Joe wins another replay. The rule is the rule. And he’s safe anyway as Kenny says.

48. The Doctor says:

Getting really sick of Thomson. That’s 3 botched sends in two days. Yes, it was a good throw, but Thomson needs to know that Rasmus has a good arm.

49. Mike HC says:

He’s gone

50. pat says:

He was effing safe.

51. Leg-End says:

Safe……….

52. Electric says:

So that’s not considered blocking the plate? Cervelli should have just pummeled him.

53. Winter says:

I thought he looked safe, but it’s tough to tell from that top angle when the tag is actually applied. I don’t blame the umps if they decided the evidence was insufficient.

54. Yangeddard Solarte says:

Did the umps check safe/out or did they only check whether he blocked the plate? Joe could challenge safe/out.

55. Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

Bullshit. He was fucking safe.

56. Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

Wow. He was safe and Thole was blocking the plate.

57. Jersey Joe says:

C’mon blue.

58. TheRealGreg says:

Girardi should have then challenged that he was safe to begin with. Bad job by Girardi

59. CashmanNinja says:

I saw a foot go across the plate before the tag was applied. He was safe.

60. Get Phelps Up says:

So if they review the call to see if there was an illegal block of the plate and it turns out the runner was safe anyways, they can’t change it because it’s not what they were reviewing?

61. RetroRob says:

I want Cervelli to be safe, but I don’t think the catcher was doing anything wrong there.

Second, for those arguing Cervelli was blocked and didn’t have a path to the plate, then you can’t argue his foot touched the plate ahead of the throw. (I actually do think he was safe)

• Electric says:

Isn’t the catcher supposed to give a lane to the runner? I don’t think straddling the plate qualifies as that. Ugh, I hate this lame rule.

• RetroRob says:

I don’t know. When I first heard they were instituting this rule, this type of play was one of the first things I thought of. The catcher is going to be blocking the plate as the ball is arriving at the plate.

The intentions of the rule are fine, but I’m still not sure it can be enforced.

62. pat says:

IMO this homeplate collision rule is worse than anything the NFL has instituted in the past couple years.

63. VT Yankee Fan says:

The more I see it the more I realize what an ugly slide that was by Frankie.

64. The Doctor says:

I partially take back my criticism of Thomson.

I resume complaining about umps. Glad they can’t get calls right, even with the help of video replay…

65. Dalek Jeter says:

GREAT inning by Pineda there. Few more of those. Also, what’d I miss with the replay? I was tending to a customer.

• Get Phelps Up says:

Girardi challenged that Cervelli’s path to the plate was blocked and while we were looking at different reviews we say an overhead angle that said that Cervelli was safe (albeit very close), but it wasn’t changed. I guess they can’t change a call that wasn’t challenged.

• Dalek Jeter says:

That’s silly. You should be able to challenge every aspect of a play if you challenge it.

• Get Phelps Up says:

Sadly, only being able to change the specific call that was challenged even if there was evidence that some other aspect of the play was called wrong seems like something directly out of Selig’s handbook.

• Winter says:

Girardi didn’t challenge that Cervelli’s path was blocked. The umpires reviewed it on their own. He might have asked them to review it, but that’s not something he can challenge.

• Havok9120 says:

Official reviews in football are even limited to a specific thing being reviewed. (I think)

66. Winter says:

Good job by Pineda. Quick inning to get the offense back to the plate.

67. RkyMtnYank says:

So Girardi needed to use his challenge for safe/out after challenging the blocking call, which he should have done given on that angle he was clearly safe.

• Winter says:

I think he figured that they’d already looked at the play and called him safe; he didn’t want to waste a challenge on something they may have already considered and decided on.

• RkyMtnYank says:

That’s the thing, I don’t think it was considered since that is not what was challeged, don’t think any challenge is all incluse. I guess until after the 7th it wouldn’t be, that’s weird.

68. CashmanNinja says:

The rules for blocking the plate make no sense because there’s literally no true way to interpret it. The ball was thrown into the base path, so you can’t fault him for moving; BUT…the rule says that a catcher can’t block the plate until he has POSSESSION of the ball. He didn’t have 100% possession of it while he was already in the base path. So if you’re going to go by the letter of the law(rule) then it was blocking the plate. This is going to piss off tons of managers because it basically comes down to the discretion of the home plate umpire, and since he doesn’t want to look “wrong” then why should he reverse a call and make himself look bad in the process? It’s bullshit.

• Winter says:

Actually, from the text of the rule”

it shall not be considered a violation of this Rule 7.13 if the catcher blocks the pathway of the runner in order to field a throw, and the Umpire determines that the catcher could not have fielded the ball without blocking the pathway of the runner and that contact with the runner was unavoidable.

• Dan says:

It’s not that hard. If he has the ball or is moving to field the ball, it’s okay to block. If he’s just obstructing the runner and not going for the out, then you can’t block.

• No 2013 again says:

From my understanding (I could be wrong) it’s not the ump who decides to reverse the call. That call is made in NY, isn’t it?

69. pat says:

I don’t blame him for not challenging the safe/out call. I don’t think there’s a good enough camera angle to make anything conclusive.

70. RetroRob says:

This HOF add is going to drive me insane if it’s going to be run every other ad through the season.

71. will says:

Anyone know a site or a link that consolidates all the minor league stuff together? MILB website has been poor thus far imo

72. Yangeddard Solarte says:

Pineda is going to have to remain sharp. Dickey flummoxes these guys just about every time, doesn’t matter who is in the lineup. Should have had one run if not for that home plate ump but doesn’t look like they’ll get many more chances against Dickey.

73. RetroRob says:

I bet that conversation was about if they’d call Cervelli safe if they just happened to notice he was safe while reviewing if the catcher blocked the plate. I suspect if it was clear they would have called him safe. I don’t think it was clear enough.

74. Electric says:

fuck this umpire. that was a nasty slider for a strike

75. RetroRob says:

So all those who were upset by the Montero-for-Pineda trade. If the Mariners called and offered Jesus for Pineda, would you want the Yankees to do the deal?

• John Duci says:

Maybe if they included smoak and ackely lol.. But no way Pineda is a beast we won the trade by farrrrrrrrrrr

76. MartinRanger says:

I turned on the TV and saw Pineda throwing 95.

I am so very pleased with this development. Dude was holding back on us the whole time.

• Mike HC says:

The Mets finally did something right. Pineda’s surgery was done by “Dr. David Altchek — the Mets’ team physician and one of the top arm specialists in the country.”

• Havok9120 says:

Or he’s just wound up. I’m pumped to see how long he can keep this up.

• RetroRob says:

It wouldn’t be surprising if he lost some velocity as the season progresses. Also wouldn’t be surprised if he is throwing harder a year from now than he is now. That’s what happened when Anibal Sanchez returned from similar surgery.

77. Electric says:

can we stop k’ing on knucklers up in the zone this inning? thanks.

78. BigBlueAL says:

I dunno about the YES radar gun but on the Blue Jays broadcast Pineda is consistently throwing 93-95 mph. They even mentioned how he seems to be throwing alot harder than he did during Spring Training.

• RetroRob says:

The YES radar gun had Pineda hitting 95 in the first inning. Are you saying the YES gun is off, or you’re just reporting what they’re showing on the Blue Jays broadcast?

BTW Pitch/FX had Tanaka’s average four-seam fastball at 93.5 last night, hitting 95. I didn’t see that on last night’s broadcast, though.

• BigBlueAL says:

No I was just curious what the YES gun was showing because the Blue Jays broadcast like I mentioned has had him at 95 a few times and the announcers were talking about the increased velocity.

• RetroRob says:

My guess is we’re seeing the same readings. I do wonder, though, if we’re seeing Pitch/FX readings or some other radar gun just for the broadcasts since the Pitch/FX numbers from last night seem slightly different. (I have more faith in the Pitch/FX numbers.)

79. Mike HC says:

Pineda just effortlessly tossing 95 out there. I’m almost more encouraged about Pineda so far than I am about Tanaka.

• The Doctor says:

I’m more impressed by Tanaka’s poise and intelligence, but Pineda’s stuff is right on his level. Tanaka’s splitter and Pineda’s slider have to be two of the best breaking balls I’ve ever seen on this team.

80. MartinRanger says:

So with Soriano starting off so slow he’s going to go on an absolute tear starting in two games yes?

81. No 2013 again says:

As good as Pineda looks, this offense continues to look awful.

82. Winter says:

Man, Soriano’s had a rough start to the season.

83. Yangeddard Solarte says:

I’d like to hear from Joe after the game on what Dana Damuth told him. Did he check safe/out or just the plate block and could Joe have subsequently challenged safe/out?

84. Get Phelps Up says:

Pineda has looked very good.

85. MartinRanger says:

Dickey legitimately looks filthy. It’s frustrating as hell to watch the hitters but.

DAMN.

86. Dicka24 says:

It’s so awesome to see Pineda throwing 94-95 mph consistently. Truly awesome to see. I will say this, it’s fastball-slider, fastball-slider. Does he not throw anything else, or is he reserving a 3rd pitch for his 3rd to 4th time through? We really haven’t seen him pitch much so I’m truly unfamiliar with anything secondary, outside of his slider. Does he have a curve or change?

87. Electric says:

nice cervelli!

88. Electric says:

Damn Anna had a good swing at that pitch

89. Dalek Jeter says:

Dean AAAAnna.

90. pat says:

It’s Yangervis’ world and we’re just living in it.

91. Yangeddard Solarte says:

Frankie and Yangy are quite the duo. Finally nice to see the youngsters get a chance on this club. Now if Dean could drive one in.

92. No 2013 again says:

Solarte has been amazing. Even if it doesn’t last more than a month, they made a good decision keeping him over Nunez.

93. nycsportzfan says:

Here we go! Time to do some 2out damage baby! Solarte is flat out raking early on in the season!

94. Mike HC says:

I think Sizemore is probably better than Anna.

• No 2013 again says:

You are probably better than Anna.

• The Doctor says:

Sizemore has a shot to be an above average starter when fully healthy and rehabbed, so I’d have to agree. There’s a pretty good chance they’ll bring him up before the opt out date. In the meantime, Anna puts together good ABs and gives the team a lot of options.

95. Dicka24 says:

Anna seems to swing at everything. Granted I’ve only seen a few ABs on the year, but I’ve yet to see him take a pitch I think.

• Winter says:

He’s supposed to have very good on base skills. He’s had an above average walk rate all through his minor league career. I wouldn’t read much based on him facing a knuckleballer in his second career MLB game.

• Electric says:

He drew a walk last night

• MartinRanger says:

He’s drawn at least one walk. He’s just flummuxed by the knuckler. As are Soriano and Beltran, so.

96. MartinRanger says:

Anna missed that by three inches.

I think Cashman really needs to be considering a trade. Solarte AND Anna should not be getting regular at-bats. But it may have to wait until after Roberts disintegrates.

97. Axis of Mike says:

Anna was like six inches under that ball. No where near it. I hate to say it but he looks terrible at the plate.

98. nycsportzfan says:

Dean Anna sucks man. Why the hell did they give Brian Roberts the day off again? I know he came in last night during the game, but so what? Dean Anna just took the craziest upper cut swing on a high knuckleball and must of missed the ball by about 3ft. Thats ridiculous.

• The Doctor says:

Doubt he’s ever seen a knuckleball in his life. Cut him some slack.

• nycsportzfan says:

5people posted the same thing at the same time. Striking out is one thing, missing the ball by a foot is not.

• The Doctor says:

Dude, the ball can move a foot at the last minute with no warning. Stop acting like you know what’s going on; when Dickey is hot, that may be the hardest pitch to hit in the world. He is certainly hot tonight.

• Axis of Mike says:

OK, let’s do, but I still don’t think he’s gonna be much of a hitter. Still, would love to be wrong.

• The Doctor says:

Agreed. I do think he has some potential to be a league average 2nd baseman, considering the low standard.

• pat says:

Knuckle balls are easy to hit. They’re like 75 MPH. Just see it and hit it.

-Internet Commentators

• The Guns of Navarone says:

IETC

• RetroRob says:

• nycsportzfan says:

They are for the most part. Dickeys been good for about 2yrs outta his 10yr career. Wakefield career ERA is just about 4 and a half. The few others I can remember in recent memory haven’t even made enough of a dent in the league to be mentioned.

• Bo Knows says:

Not really

Several points:

-learning the KB takes a long time
            -Dickey has only been a knuckleballer for maybe 6 years
            -Knuckle balls are notoriously fickle, they rely on the surrounding environment far more than any other pitch everything from humidity to the wind itself affects it’s movement, and break.
            -Because of its unpredictable nature, no one knows where the ball goes, it could move a ton and the pitcher ends up walking the park, it move very little and its essentially a bp ball. Because its such a hard pitch, its a feast or famine pitch that very few outside to the most desperate attempt to learn

99. Axis of Mike says:

Everybody looks like they’re tryna cream the ball every time. If they’d settle down, wait for it and just make contact.

100. Get Phelps Up says:

So they can change it. Then it’s clear that they simply didn’t feel there was conclusive evidence. Or they didn’t look at that overhead shot.

101. RetroRob says:

The ball really takes off toward right center at this park.

102. Yangeddard Solarte says:

Not conclusive my ass. His foot was in before the tag. What more do you need than that?

103. Mick taylor says:

Cutting Nunez for Anna was an idiotic move

104. MartinRanger says:

All that said, I think that if Sizemore isn’t falling apart physically they need to bring him up to play third and send Anna down. He’s good reserve depth, especially when Yangervis comes back to earth.

105. Axis of Mike says:

However, the summary dismissal of Anna, called for by some here, based on such a tiny sample would disturb me if it wasn’t typical.

106. Electric says:

Jeez Melky is swingin it right now.

107. Dalek Jeter says:

2 Hard hit balls that inning, and he’s right around 70 pitches…and the highest he got during ST was around 75. I think the 6th may be his last inning.

108. your mom says:

Very impressed with our starting pitching sans CC.

109. Dicka24 says:

Pineda is a strike throwing machine. Love it. Looks like he might be getting a little tired though. Lost a couple ticks on the heater this inning. To be expected I guess this early in the season, and having a lengthy wait till his start.

110. Electric says:

WHAT WAS THAT!

111. Winter says:

Okay. Top of the order, lets score some runs.

112. pat says:

Are you fucking kidding me with that 1-0 to Ellsbury? GTFO.

113. RetroRob says:

Steal second and then third, and hope for a fly ball. : -)

114. Eduardo Nunez could have probably learned to play 1B. Plus, he had an option. Why did Cashmoneyman cut him again?

115. Electric says:

Oh please don’t bunt again Girardi.

116. will says:

Yeah he seems to be tiring. I hope the yankees notice it. He’s missed twice that inning with balls over the center of the plate

117. No 2013 again says:

Some home cooking by this ump. Dickey’s strike zone is HUGE

• The Doctor says:

To be fair, it is a damn hard pitch to call. From our angle it’s obvious, but he has to judge where it is at the exact moment it passes through the zone. Where it ends up can be a foot away from where it passed home plate.

118. Yangeddard Solarte says:

Ellsbury coming on strong. Now he needs to run on the knunckleballer. Wreak havoc on the bases.

119. nycsportzfan says:

Ellsburys on alittle tear now!

120. Cuso says:

Steal. Pressure him with the running game.

121. No 2013 again says:

Comon Jeter, let him steal

122. The Guns of Navarone says:

Gotta run on Dickey

123. The Guns of Navarone says:

Here we go… I’m smellin me a rally, boss.

124. Dalek Jeter says:

Ellsbury has GOT TO run here. Then if Jeets wants he can bunt him to third.

125. your mom says:

HR plz.

126. Yangeddard Solarte says:

Ball 4! Gotta score a run here, hopefully 2. With as good as Mike Pineda has been this could be the game.

127. Cuso says:

Give me an in play (runs)

128. Electric says:

Not a fucking strike BLUE!

129. MartinRanger says:

Double steal? Double steal.

130. Cuso says:

Juuuuust missed that

131. nycsportzfan says:

Cappy with the walk! Lets go, this is the break through inning here! Belty up!

132. Cuso says:

Please, no DP. Please!

133. Axis of Mike says:

Fuck me runnin.

134. No 2013 again says:

what a pathetic strike zone

• MartinRanger says:

I’ll bet you 10 bucks a side-view shows it was a strike. It had insane movement.

• No 2013 again says:

Blue Jays broadcast has that permanent strike zone on screen, it has showed a bunch of balls being called strikes, some VERY far from the actual strike zone.

• nycsportzfan says:

Some of those strike calls to Ellsbury and Beltran were pathetic. I’d be mad annoyed at the ump for some of these calls.

135. RetroRob says:

Really surprised the runners were not going on the 3-2 pitch to avoid just that.

136. MartinRanger says:

See, that’s a classic example. That knuckleball WAS a strike, but it landed a foot below the zone.

137. pat says:

Motherfuck.

138. your mom says:

Well, shit.

139. Dicka24 says:

That’s why they should have double stole. Worst case u end up with Jeter on 2nd, or Ells at 3rd. Now ur likely out of the inning without a tying run.

140. Yangeddard Solarte says:

And that’s just a killer. Just an absolute killer. Might not even get a run now.

141. Axis of Mike says:

Hello. Pineda’s doing better than Tanak did!

142. Dalek Jeter says:

Well…that just took the wind out of my sails.

143. “If you’re going to hit into a double play, can you do me a favor and just strike out?” – Earl Weaver

144. The Guns of Navarone says:

That’s the way it goes sometimes. A rally-killing DP with men on, a would-be RBI line drive just foul, and a dinker that would’ve landed if not for the shift. Fuckin baseball, man…

145. Cuso says:

That was a bummer inning.

146. Cuso says:

Are you serious with that shift?

147. MartinRanger says:

subf*cking optimal

148. John Duci says:

This umpire is trash. Beltran would have walked if he didn’t call that low ass pitch a strike. Would have been bases loaded no outs what a scumbag

149. BigBlueAL says:

Im beginning to miss last season’s lineup lol.

150. pat says:

Hey Michael. This is Toronto not Seattle.

151. Long-Past-His-Day-Rod says:

Ugh. Such a good inning, good at bats, and then the terrible old GIDP strikes.

Still 3 more chances boys, come on now.

152. Electric says:

Let’s go Pineda, finish strong!

153. MartinRanger says:

McCann goes the other way a whole lot more than I had expected.

154. Winter says:

Pineda really likes that slider inside to lefties. Not that I’m complaining.

155. pat says:

Great fuckin inning, Hulk.

156. Axis of Mike says:

I almost don’t care if we lose this. ALMOST, mind you. The important thing is we have got some real pitching on this team. Hope springs…

157. Havok9120 says:

Still at 95 in the 6th.

Holy crap.

158. MartinRanger says:

That. was. filthy.

God that slider is an absolute dream.

159. Dalek Jeter says:

Wow. Great inning for Pineda. Looks like he caught a second wind, send him out for the 7th!

160. Electric says:

YES PINEDA 3-2 SLIDER!

161. Leg-End says:

Pineda cruising, how fantastic. Now get him some runs.

162. Axis of Mike says:

Pineda is fucking killing it.

163. Axis of Mike says:

First dinger of ’14 would come in handy now.

164. Dalek Jeter says:

I hate W-L records for pitchers…but can we at least get Pineda off the hook for the lose? He doesn’t deserve it…at all.

• The Doctor says:

This may sound stupid, but I won’t even care if they lose. Sure, I’d like a win, but Pineda killing it means much more long term than a win.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I agree. I mean, I’d love a win, but if this is what Pineda is going to be 25-30 starts this season? Much more important than 1 loss.

165. RetroRob says:

That should mess the Blues Jays up, going from a 6’7″, 95 mph right hander, to a 5’2″, 88 mph lefty.

166. Dalek Jeter says:

Again, reasons I’m not a big league manager: I’d go batter to batter with Pineda in the 7th.

167. Electric says:

Pineda was airing it out right there. Bring in Warren

168. The Guns of Navarone says:

Am I overreacting in thinking that this is quite possibly the best-case scenario we could have hoped for regarding Pineda? I mean, 94-95mph on the fastball…and everything he throws looks pretty sharp. I was thinking realistically he’d be at 90-92 for the foreseeable future. Very exciting.

• Havok9120 says:

I think this is exactly the most reasonable best-case we could expect. Little rough with the command, throwing 95, sitting 94, sharp slider….

Beautiful.

169. pat says:

GODDAMN YOUR STUPID F*CKING SHIFTS

170. MartinRanger says:

Good call to take him out.

Soriano 0-15. Jesus.

• The Doctor says:

Frustrating to watch. He’s hitting some nicely, just not finding open field. Bodes well for the future, I guess.

• The Guns of Navarone says:

Yeah he was whiffing like crazy at first but he’s gradually starting to square up some pitches now.

• Havok9120 says:

He’s boom or bust. We’ve known this. Guy will carry the team for a month at some point in the season.

171. Axis of Mike says:

Sometimes when a batter takes a pitch right over the plate it makes me wonder: what, exactly, is he looking for?!

172. MartinRanger says:

Wow. The shifting craze could really change the game.

173. pat says:

Good. Lets ruin this for him.

174. Winter says:

Cervellli mashing it. Love that guy.

175. Electric says:

Cold lampin with Cervy

176. MartinRanger says:

That the gods. He’s out of there.

177. Electric says:

not a strike again

178. pat says:

No fucking way that first pitch was a strike.

179. Yangeddard Solarte says:

Frankie’s been on base all 3 times. Need another double Yangy. They need to PH for Anna and get him out of this game.

• The Doctor says:

I really doubt they’re going to give Roberts less than a full day off. He looks good so far, and I’d like to keep it that way.

180. Electric says:

You’re fine Solarte

181. nycsportzfan says:

wow, that 1st strike to Solarte was terrible! Loup ended up hitting him anyways, but jesus, this ump is just a joke!

182. Dicka24 says:

Brian Roberts has to pinch hit here no?

183. RetroRob says:

Oh, no. Not the return of Nunez!

184. Winter says:

Shit.

185. The Other Matt says:

I feel like this is Little Big League when the kid says to Billy, “You should’ve started Wedman, he kills the Tigers.” Only insert Dickey and Yankees.

186. Axis of Mike says:

Whappened? Wha’d I miss? Solarte got hit?

• MartinRanger says:

fastball to the back of the right knee. smarts a lot, probably just a bruise.

damnit Roberts.

• The Other Matt says:

Yeah. The ball hit his back right leg, he was batting righty though, so it hit him in his back leg, not lead leg. Got him a little bit behind the knee. If you can envision that at all. Stayed in the ball game though.

187. MartinRanger says:

Come on 35-year old sparkplug. You got this.

188. CashmanNinja says:

Great…

189. The Doctor says:

Yikes. Looks like it hit him in a good spot, but his reaction scared me.

190. Yangeddard Solarte says:

Oh my god no. Don’t let him be hurt. It can’t end like this.

191. Dicka24 says:

Well, at least it will be the top of the order in the bottom the 8th. Ellsbury will lead it off.

192. BigBlueAL says:

This is really getting annoying.

193. pat says:

Not a huge fan of Nuno here. I’d love to be wrong.

194. MartinRanger says:

Come on El Nuno. No walks.

195. Dalek Jeter says:

If this continues as such, hands down one of the most enjoyable losses I’ve been witness to.

• MartinRanger says:

That’s the thing. I’m just ebullient about Pineda.

And Cervelli’s still looking like a quality hitter. Which could be big. And Solarte just keeps going.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Like this is up there with week 17 of the 2010/2011 Giants when they lost to the then unbeaten Patriots in a shootout.

• The Doctor says:

Definitely. Hard to complain when it’s just a case of two pitchers both pitching like aces.

• The Other Matt says:

I’d understanding your reasoning, but if this game ends 1-0 I’d be pretty pissed because Cervelli should’ve been both ruled and called safe. But I digress. Pineda looked very good though against a good lineup.

196. MartinRanger says:

…I was not expecting Nuno to be used like a lefty specialist. In fact I’d argue that’s a terrible use of his talents.

• Havok9120 says:

I’m not sure that’s how he’ll be used long term. It wasn’t how he was used in Houston, I don’t think. But I can agree with a quick hook there if you don’t like what you see from a guy who is, effectively, a junkballer.

197. pat says:

Lawrie mad aggressive. Hopefully first pitch is a curve.

198. Yangeddard Solarte says:

Can’t walk him there Nunyo. Here comes BGDP’s first chance at redemption.

199. Havok9120 says:

Quick hook for Nuno.

200. Axis of Mike says:

Phkeps is phlinging!

201. Winter says:

I’m worried about Phelps. He looked bad in his last outing and hasn’t had his velocity either in spring training or during the season.

• Axis of Mike says:

I think he can be effective for an inning.

• The Doctor says:

Weird thing is, this is about what his velocity used to be before he suddenly added on a few ticks. His forearm issues may have robbed him of that newly added heat.

• Axis of Mike says:

Forget about velocity w Phelps. He’ll never blow anybody away. He has good movement. As is true for just about every pitcher, he needs a really good change up, IMHO.

• The Other Matt says:

He hit 91 in one of his first pitches out of the bullpen, that’s about where his fastball tops out at usually. Maybe 92 from time to time.

202. Axis of Mike says:

It’s time to manufacture one, boys.

203. Dalek Jeter says:

Woot, well done Phelpsy. I gotta say, I was/am in agreement with winter, that I don’t know what to expect from Phelps and don’t fully trust him right now.

• Axis of Mike says:

I think the expectation of long relief was not realistic, but the good news is we have plenty o pitching and he can help out for an inning or so here and there. I’m fine w him.

204. Yangeddard Solarte says:

Get a lead and then I’d go to Warren for the 8th and Kelley for the close. Top of the lineup, Dickey’s gone, it’s time for someone other than Ells, Frankie and Yangy to step up.

205. Dalek Jeter says:

ELLSBURY IS ON FIRE!

206. Havok9120 says:

Alright boys, with the bats.

Für Preußen!

207. The Other Matt says:

There we go Ellsbury, let’s get something started. Might want to put him in motion so Jeter can stay out of DP.

208. pat says:

STEAL A FUCKING BASE.

209. Axis of Mike says:

Ellsbury is just killing it! This team is too good not to score.

210. Dan says:

Send Ellsbury.

211. Dalek Jeter says:

I really would like to see Ellsbury on the move here (which is nothing new for me, I still want both him and Gardner running whenever they’re on base).

212. NHYankeefan11 says:

Time to steal 2nd ellsbury

213. The Guns of Navarone says:

Ellsy doing his best Brett Gardner impression over there at first base today, enjoying the scenery.

And holy shit that was a gift. This ump sucks.

• NHYankeefan11 says:

Agree on ellsbury. .he should’ve went…against dickey too.. the last one to Jeter was high though

214. NHYankeefan11 says:

Time to step up Beltran

215. Dicka24 says:

OMG that was a fortunate call. Could have gone either way, but wow. Now please, double steal, or send the runners. please.

216. your mom says:

Bunt, bunt! just kidding.

217. Yangeddard Solarte says:

Same situation as a couple innings ago. Beltran, McCann and Soriano need to step up for us to win this ballgame. Get the lead and bring in Warren-Kelley for the close.

218. pat says:

Nah, that was high.

219. Dalek Jeter says:

For Prussia, Carlos.

220. Dan says:

This starting pitching could really be something special. If CC picks up where he left off after the 2d inning in his last start they could have 5 number 3 SPs or better. Which is really something.

221. Axis of Mike says:

Toronto assholes don’t know a high pitch when they see one. Sheesh.

222. The Doctor says:

God, Beltran just looks terrible today. Thought it was just the knuckleball but god.

223. Dicka24 says:

This is one frustrating lineup right now. I know they will hit eventually, but damn.

224. The Other Matt says:

It is one thing to get off to a slow start to begin the season, but Carlos Beltran has looked borderline awful up at the plate so far this season.

225. Winter says:

If I’m 100% honest, that was a strike. But, hey, I’ll take it!

226. Dicka24 says:

You just know the double play is coming.

227. Axis of Mike says:

Not a great AB for Belty.

• The Guns of Navarone says:

It’s pretty obvious that he, Soriano and Jeter aren’t quite there yet.

• Axis of Mike says:

Sori is more than pretty obvious, zero is hard to get confused about. Jeter’s looked OK and Beltran has too, just not today. I’m not worried about any of that troika, really. I just hope Tex gets back soon and for God’s sake teach him how to stretch better!

228. NHYankeefan11 says:

F this…double steal. …sickening how no one can get a fucking hit!

229. The Guns of Navarone says:

They’ve gotta do it here. Not very confident in the bottom of this order against their closer.

230. your mom says:

No better time than now for Soriano to get a hit.

231. Leg-End says:

Time for your first hit Soriano.

232. your mom says:

They should IBB him to get to KJ.

233. Dalek Jeter says:

Soriano’s got this.

234. Havok9120 says:

C’mon Officer McCann. You got this.

235. The Other Matt says:

C’mon Sori. Now would be a good time to get your first hit.

236. NHYankeefan11 says:

Stupid move to start the rookie Anna over the experienced Roberts who usually does a good job of working the count.

Also stupid to start Soriano over gardner. …gardner can work counts and steal…yet Joe is hung up on everyone getting a rest just 5 days into the season.

237. Long-Past-His-Day-Rod says:

Now would be a good time for Sori to break out of his rut and bomb one…

238. Havok9120 says:

Alright. Soriano. You’ve been hitting hard shots for a couple days now. Your time is now.

239. The Guns of Navarone says:

Just one of those days…

240. Yangeddard Solarte says:

All that money for Beltran and McCann and they got us a K and a weak tapper that didn’t even get to the pitcher’s mound. And here comes 0 for 50 Alphonso.

241. The Guns of Navarone says:

That’s a major league at bat

242. Dalek Jeter says:

According to Gameday those 1st and 3rd pitches were like…right there.

243. The Other Matt says:

WOW. He just looked at two pitches dead middle, and then swings at a 57 footer. Amazing.

244. Axis of Mike says:

Wow. Sori looks sorry. I think maybe for mercy’s sake he should be sat for a bit.

• NHYankeefan11 says:

Brilliant move starting him against dickey instead of someone who works the count with a much better chance of getting on in Gardner /sarc.

245. miky says:

Sorry-ano

246. Dicka24 says:

OMG, seriously? You swung at THAT!?!? Oh my….

247. pat says:

Wowsers that was bad.

248. Leg-End says:

What the hell was he swinging at lol.

249. SevenAces says:

On the bright side… Pineda looked good.

250. nycsportzfan says:

Why did Giardi let Soriano face Santos? I freaking knew he was gonna look stupid against him. He could of thrown one into one of the dugouts with 2strikes and Soriano was gonna swing.

251. Yangeddard Solarte says:

Remember last year when Sori went on that HR tear and after that he went 0-21? He needs to start tearing it up right here. If they’re going to pitch to him with a base open instead of pitching to Kelley Johnston? That’s a slap in the race.

252. BigBlueAL says:

LOL

253. NHYankeefan11 says:

Why does Kevin Long still have a job? It’s the same shit every year…can’t get big hits…undisciplined at bats …and never taking advantage of the shift!!!

Disgusting. I feel bad for Pineda. Kid really deserved a win and the entire team let him down

• The Other Matt says:

Soriano could have Ted Williams as his hitting coach, it wouldn’t matter, he’s a free swinger. It’s his gift and his curse.

• NHYankeefan11 says:

Why does the hitting coach get a pass? If nothing is his fault then what’s the point of having one?

254. Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

What in the fucking fuck was that?

• Axis of Mike says:

That’s the old “I ain’t gonna K looking” desperation swing. Looked a bit like Vlad Guerrero there, except the latter woulda hadda single!

255. Cuso says:

Same ole first half Sori. Watches the strikes, swings only if it hits dirt.

256. your mom says:

Soriano will go 20 for 30 in his next 7 games with 8 HRs and 25 RBIs.

257. Havok9120 says:

Oy.

258. Winter says:

Oh man, Soriano looked awful there.

259. Yangeddard Solarte says:

Ellsbury and Jeter were twice on 1st and 2nd with 0 outs and those clowns hitting 3-4-5 did absolutely nothing. Absolutely nothing.

260. Shall we trade for Sir Ike Davis of the Metropolitans, gents?

261. Leg-End says:

Welp, pack it up boys.

262. Jersey Joe says:

I will not lose a 1-0 game.

I refuse to party like it’s 2013.

We need runs.

263. BigBlueAL says:

I miss Robinson Cano.

264. Jersey Joe says:

The Melkman just delivered some sour milk.

265. The Guns of Navarone says:

Yankees who get those meatball pitches are fouling them off.

266. The Other Matt says:

Welp…..

267. The Other Matt says:

Think it might be time to get Phelps out of there. Don’t like him as a late inning reliever, and this hasn’t changed my belief one bit.

268. Dalek Jeter says:

Phelpsy is just not right, right now. That pitch to Bautista was literally right down the middle. I could get around on that.

269. “It’s very, very different, 1 run or 2 runs.” ~ Susan Waldman

Yes, the difference between 2 and 1 is 1.

270. The Doctor says:

What happened to make Girardi trust Phelps over Warren in tight games? Warren was great last year, Phelps just plain wasn’t good at all.

• NHYankeefan11 says:

Clueless Joe has never been a good in game manager.

Also why start Soriano over gardner. ..especially ago dickey?

Why start the rookie Anna over Roberts who is good at working the count?

…Girardi seems to think that everyone needs a rest after just 5 days…resting Jeter is fine….but gardner should’ve been out there today

271. The Other Matt says:

I honestly want to know WTF Girardi was thinking. Was not giving up a home run to Melky and a hard hit double to Rasmus not enough to think you might not want allow him to face Bautista?

272. Winter says:

Yeah, I’m really not trusting Phelps right now.

273. MartinRanger says:

I think Phelps need to go back to AAA to figure out his command again. He’s looked terrible.

• The Doctor says:

I don’t even know how much of a command issue it is, he just doesn’t have anything. If he’s going to sit 87-89 with a mediocre breaking ball in relief, he’s not going to make it. He did well for a while with the heater sitting 91-93, but he just can’t get by at this speed.

• MartinRanger says:

Well, he can, if he has good command within the zone. He can change speeds well enough. but he doesn’t have that command. he’s pitching up in the zone. and he’s getting hammered.

274. Yangeddard Solarte says:

Phelps should only be used as a long man from now on. He should not be in these close ballgames late. Warren should be.

275. NHYankeefan11 says:

Phelps better get his shit together or pack a bag for Scranton….he got tagged in Houston too….we are the Yankees. This shit ain’t gonna cut it.

276. Havok9120 says:

Yikes, Phelps.

After the quick hook for Nuno, I don’t understand why Phelps was still in after the double.

• Winter says:

Maybe they just don’t have anyone warm? That’s the only thing I can think of.

• The Doctor says:

That’s no excuse. Considering he’s sucked lately, they should have had someone else ready to go from the start. Joe’s trust in Phelps is founded on what he did 2 years ago. He hasn’t done anything well in well over a year. Warren can be a nice weapon in relief, but they’re wasting him.

277. your mom says:

Phelps has no trade value right now. Pathetic.

278. Yangeddard Solarte says:

And there’s the ballgame. Phelps should not be on this ballclub. Dean Anna should not be on this ballclub. Move Frankie and Solarte up in the order if Soriano isn’t going to hit and certainly ahead of Kelley Johnson. Beltran and McCann paid all that cash and with Ells and Jeter on 1st and 2nd twice they GIDP, K. Just absolutely terrible.

• Winter says:

How the tides have turned. Eddard now turns on BGDP.

And this is Anna’s second career MLB game, and he was facing a knuckleballer for probably the first time. There’s no way you can know anything from that.

• adjusts batting gloves says:

I politely suggest changing your handle to “Jermoeddard in the Bronx.”

279. your mom says:

Still no HRs yet………

280. JGYank says:

Wasted a golden opportunity in the top of the 8th. When Ells got on, and Jeter was facing a the lefty, it was screaming hit run to me. At least send Ellsbury there. What was Girardi waiting for? Then with Beltran at the plate, a double steal wouldn’t have been a bad idea either. No matter what you take away the double play possibility and the catcher would have had to throw around Beltran to get Ellsbury. Worst case you have a runner on 2nd with one out. Best case 2nd and 3rd with none out.

281. Jersey Joe says:

Come on offense.

282. Dalek Jeter says:

I’m pretty sure John just came during that catch (I know super gross, but if you heard the call you understand).

283. pat says:

Great freaking catch. Wow. Would love to see some of the field f/x info for that.

284. Dalek Jeter says:

Yanni!

285. Dalek Jeter says:

Come on, Jacoby, continue to make this game interesting!

286. pat says:

At least Santos likely won’t be able to pitch tomorrow.

287. Dalek Jeter says:

Oh, well. :(

288. Yangeddard Solarte says:

I thought it’d be tough to win vs Dickey but Pineda pitched brilliantly and they wasted it. They had chances. I liked the send of Frankie on Ellsy’s hit, just didn’t work out. The culprits were Beltran, McCann and Soriano the supposed heart and soul of the order. I’m sorry but the heart and soul is Ellsbury, Frankie and Solarte. Jeter worked a couple walks but nobody else did shit. Kelly Johnson should not be hitting 6th ever. Frankie and Solarte need to be moved up in the lineup.

289. BigBlueAL says:

Ike Davis with a pinch-hit walk-off grand slam. I am envious of the Mets lineup lol.

290. The Other Matt says:

I want Ike Davis on the Yankees now. He just hit a walk-off, pinch hit, grand slam.

291. TheRealGreg says:

Really bothers me that Girardi did not challenge the original play to see if he is safe or out.

Carlos Beltran has been a big disappointment. It’s not like he was declining last year.

McCann offensively has been bad, but the success of Pineda and Tanaka can be partly attested to him.

292. Baseball Dad!!! says:

Oh What a Shame, Kahnle gets his first MLB victory and the Spankees get Spanked!!! Bullpen Stud Blows game and one Relic,TEX, to the DL!!!You Losers deserve nothing but the worst!!! Maybe if You Jack asses had the right people in your farm system working with your young players maybe you would of seen another ring!!! What is it now 15 years and counting!!!