Apr

Monday Night Open Thread

Two years ago today, the Yankees made a monster comeback from a 9-0 deficit to beat the Red Sox 15-9 at Fenway Park. I’m sure you remember that game. The only reason I realized today was the anniversary because it happened on the same day as Phil Humber’s perfect game — I remember FOX cut away from Nick Swisher‘s grand slam to show Humber’s final out — and I’ve be seeing tweets and posts about that all day. That was a pretty fun afternoon. The game was basically a microcosm of the Bobby Valentine era in Boston.

Anyway, here is tonight’s open thread. The Mets are playing and ESPN will show the Reds and Pirates tonight (Leake vs. Liriano), plus there’s NHL and NBA playoff action going on somewhere. The Yankees are off today, in case you’re looking for their game. Use this thread to talk about anything your heart desires.

Categories : Open Thread

1. forensic says:

As soon as I saw the video pop-up, I thought of two things. How we missed most of the comeback because of the jagoffs at FOX switching away for Humber (which you covered) and how horrid the check swing strike 3 call on Brendan Ryan was on the final out of the game (granted, it was such a horrible pitch that even as a terrible hitter he shouldn’t even have flinched at it, but still, it’s a horrible, horrible call).

• WhittakerWalt says:

Completely agree. That check swing call was an absolute gift from the umps. Only a hitter as bad as Ryan would even move at all, and even with that said he totally held up.

2. Zach says:

I hate the fact that perfect took away from one of the best comebacks I’ve ever seen.

3. Cool Lester Smooth says:

I remember that game. I was visiting my friend at UMass, so I missed most of it.

4. 461deep says:

Remember that comeback game. Great victory. Sox have some starting pitching woes this year. Except for Lester the others are inconsistent. They are hitting better now though but could use another solid .280 HR bat. Yankees nice win yesterday. Tex did well & Nuno was terrific. Hitting needs to be better in Boston. Tanake should battle nicely again

5. Yanksinfirst says:

Anyone remember that game a few years back when the yanks rallied in a subway series game and scored like 7 runs in an inning to beat the mets? That was quite a game. I was there it was electric

6. forensic says:

Based on what I’m sure is a completely unbiased and analytical opinion, the Braves announcers all said they’d be hard pressed to take any of Stanton, Harper, or Trout over Freeman.

Now, I can understand one, maybe even two of those guys. But, no way you’d take him over the third one.

Agreed.

• forensic says:

Not sure why I would expect anything more though, these are the same guys who still try to find good things to say about BJ Upton’s offensive game.

• jjyank says:

Oh, totally. If Freeman played CF or something, different conversation. But he doesn’t. And this is coming from a Freeman fantasy owner.

• Yolo Fo Solo (Alkaline) says:

lol wow

• Lukaszek says:

Id take both Stanton and Trout over Freeman no doubt about it, would not even think twice

• Dalek Jeter says:

Yeah, same. Freeman’s great, but the fact that they’re outfielders and two of them (Harper and Trout) are fantastic defensively makes them so much more valuable.

• forensic says:

No chance I’d take him over Trout. I actually do think I would take Freeman over Stanton. Harper is the closest one because of his youth and speed addition, but there’s still a question of where exactly Harper can get up to since he hasn’t really gotten in their more rarified air (not counting age) yet.

7. Yolo Fo Solo (Alkaline) says:

So how’s everyone evening?

8. Chip Rodriguez says:

What a great game that was. Tex’s oppo field HR is still the most absurd thing about that day – I didn’t imagine he could do that in his pull happy mode.

Doubront looked nasty for five innings, then their pen imploded. So much fun watching Valentine come up to the mound looking totally clueless while the every-classy Bahstan fans booed.

A-Rod also homered the previous game to help the Yankees win, to really put a dampener on all the festivities.

9. forensic says:

Garrett Richards is either channeling his inner Cesar Cabral or is trying a new version of handball. In the last AB he threw two pitches off the block wall behind home plate. One went back to the catcher in the air and the second one-hopped all the way back to Richards on the mound.

And he just bounced another one…

• forensic says:

Now he had another couple wild ones and has hit Jayson Werth. He says he’s not able to grip the ball and even talked to the ump about it.

If only something were available that would help pitchers be able to grip the ball and yet not unfairly affect the flight of the ball…

10. Dalek Jeter says:

I’m surprised Carlos Gomez hasn’t found a way to pimp a walk.

• forensic says:

He does that dumbass backward bat flip, doesn’t he, IIRC? I can’t wait till he hurts hit own teammate on deck by hitting him with it at some point.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I didn’t notice. He aggravates me though. Like I’ve got no problem pimping a homerun occasionally. But after you pimp it you have to realize that you just opened yourself up to smack talk when you run around the bases. Especially when you’re a guy who has like 70 career homeruns in a like an 8 year career. What pissed me off the most though was when he said “I can’t believe people still get mad when I do what I do, I’ve been doing it for 8 years.” I’m sorry Carlos, consistently being an ass doesn’t magically stop you from being an ass.

11. nycsportzfan says:

Sick game! I do wish that Tex played like that day in and day out, and so on.

12. forensic says:

Didn’t take too long for Granderson to really start hearing the boos at Citi Field.

And yes, I’m going to update every damn game out there… ;-)

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

You’re already more informative than the folks paid to do it.

I had friend post a pic of a couple of pigeons sitting at Citifield with their backs to the field. His caption? “Granderson must be hitting.”

When you’re the Mets faithful punching bag….

• Yolo Fo Solo (Alkaline) says:

I like updates. Keep em coming.

13. nycsportzfan says:

Game 7 of the World Series, what Yankee pitcher from 1995 till present day, do you have on the mound and yr?

For me its David Wells 1998. SO freaking good that yr, and seemed better then his ERA indicates(18-4 3.49era 163k 29bb), in my opinion. When I think of that season, David Wells always pops in to my head 1st. He was such a stud, and how do you not love David Wells, as a Yank fan?

• Dean Travers says:

Tanaka 2014

So many choices.

Phreddy Garcia
      Kyle Pharnsworth
      Phelix Heredia
      Jephph Weaver
      Aaron Laphphey

And don’t forget…

David Felps.

• Mike HC says:

First names to pop in my head were Pettitte, Cone, Wells and El Duque, in that order. As for the year, I don’t know, it seemed like regardless of how those guys pitched during the season, they showed up for the playoffs.

• cr1 says:

And speaking of El Duque, can anyone ever forget the first sight of that leg kick?

I remember Kenny saying once, “Folks, don’t try that at home.”

• nycsportzfan says:

The only reason I used yrs, was to show what kinda pitcher he was at the time. If you chose El Duque, you’d probably say 1999,when he was at his best for the Yanks.

Phine.

A 2011 Phreddy Garcia.

• nycsportzfan says:

Stop replying to my posts.

COME AT ME BRO

Is that dated?

• nycsportzfan says:

Dude, I don’t acknowledge anything you put on these boards, why do you even bother?

You just did.

The only things you don’t acknowledge are moments like this:

See, we were talking about you then, but it was nuanced for you to notice that we were. That is so what happened.

The only reason I stop this, frankly, is for Mike’s sake, since I agree I don’t want to waste his comment sections with this.

• nycsportzfan says:

Your such a bitch.lol Stop saying “were” and all that, its you, you fucking idiot. Stop trying to pull everyone else in. Your seriously, such a pussy, I can tell.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

So I’m Dalek Jeter, Macho Man “Randy Levine,” forensic, jjyank, and whatever that is Alkaline is calling himself right now? I’m all those screen names?

That’s some phantasy.

I even answered your question nicely. What gratitude.

Seriously, alkaline, not crazy about the new name. =P

• jjyank says:

Only a moron things he’s being assaulted by one guy where there are really like, five people calling him out. Is that what makes you feel better? The though that it’s really just Jorge by himself?

Because it’s not. There really are this many people calling you out for typing like an eight year old.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Because I’m Don Quixote and I’m on a quest to civilize. Seriously though? Because I’m bored and I’d like nothing more than for people to take how they sound seriously. The excuse that “this is the internet” is becoming more and more antiquated (outdated) everyday as the internet becomes the primary form of communication for a lot of people. Look at it this way if for some ridiculous reason you and I were at a ball game together and you said Alfonso Soriano’s name wrong and I corrected you and said “it’s said this way.” And you intentionally kept mispronouncing his name. I would absolutely call you out on it constantly and I would feel it was well deserved.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

How do you pronounce “Alphonso” differently, though?

• Dalek Jeter says:

Also because Archer gifs.

• nycsportzfan says:

I don’t give a fuck what you think. Oh well, if me writing Alfonso wrong upset you. I’m glad, you toolbag.

It works out for me, because I haven’t liked you before I even posted here regularly, because I seen you be your little prick self to other people.

I’m not going anywhere, motherfucker.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I’m going to work from bottom to top: Frankly I don’t care whether you leave or not. You’re entertaining at best and easily ignorable at worst. I honestly don’t intend to come off as a prick, I just cant stand stupidity. Ignorance is slightly more bearable because ignorance is simply the lack of knowledge. Stupidity is ignoring knowledge, and that I simply cannot abide. I always look to better myself not only in the eyes of others, but the eyes of myself, and to me if you’re not doing that, than what is the point. Finally to not giving a fuck what I think, and spelling Alphonso wrong upsetting me and you being glad about that…Let me just make sure I’m clear:
                      -you don’t care what I think
                      -You do something that upsets me
                      -You’re glad that I’m upset
                      That is some broken logic.

• Dalek Jeter says:

For the record, when I say you’re entertaining, I mean that this is entertaining, you normally are not entertaining at all.

• Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

I think I might go with Cone, Clemens or El Duque over Wells. Maybe CC too.

But you did say specific year, so that makes it harder. Wells was really good in ’98.

14. Dalek Jeter says:

Alsydes(?) Escobar. He just ran about 180 feet to catch a foul pop up from behind second base basically to the dugout. Amazing.

15. mustang says:

I hate Yankees off days with this team.

16. forensic says:

Dick Enberg really needs to retire. As if watching the Padres on a daily basis isn’t bad enough, their poor fans have to listen to him too. Now he’s trying to state two different sides of an argument by asking whether it’s accidental or incidental (as opposed to intentional).

17. Dalek Jeter says:

According to Mitch Williams Mike Trout isn’t a five tool player. Since when doesn’t Trout throw well? Also I love how they take every opportunity to tell Mitch how wrong he is about shifting and replay.

18. forensic says:

Anibal Sanchez rolling along after 6 shutout innings allowing just one hit and one walk. Then suddenly the 7th inning starts: double, double, strikeout, double, single, and he’s out of the game and trailing.

hmm, which games are left now?

19. Yolo Fo Solo (Alkaline) says:

nycsportzfan, I know you’ve been getting piled upon with it. However, let me give you some wise words I received when I first stumbled upon the internet in the golden age of AOL and message boards. I was…13..n talked liek on aim da same weigh u talk on hear. With the development of textspeak, I guess I was ahead of my time ;)

Back to the point. I was on a stinkin’ Star Wars message board and was told if I ever wanted to be taken seriously, I would take the time to correctly type out my thoughts. It’s been over ten years and it stuck with me. It doesn’t matter if it’s school, work, internet, the book of face. If you want to be respected by your peers, you have to come across as educated and willing to learn.

You’re right. Everyone makes typos and mistakes. It’s easy to do when you’re preoccupied with other stuff while trying to comment. But, to go about the way you do and brag about it is just silly and makes you look like a fool. You’re the internet equivalent of those guys who have their pants hanging way below their ass.

So, after tonight. Take the extra 60 seconds and proofread your posts. No one expects them to be perfect, but I shouldn’t feel like I’m read a post from a 5-year-old (and that’s no exaggeration).

• nycsportzfan says:

Listen, i’m not in the mood to here, your a cool guy, but….. I also dont care about being piled on. I stay true to myself, and my beliefs, and I know a bunch of dudes making fun of someone because there better then them at something, is wrong.

Do I give a fuck? Nope. Don’t want to be associated with people like that. I play no favorites on a blog, nor will I ever jump in with people who are making fun of anyone. I don’t mind riding by myself, against the followers.

But if you ever wanna talk Yanks, i’m down.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

So you’re not going to take into account a single bit of what he said. You’re just fine with sounding like a complete moron in a room full of people who actually think about what they’re typing and who take the time to correct the technology-based mistakes they make.

That is probably the most respectful version of that message you’ll ever get on here.

• Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

Dude, I’m sorry to be a jerk. But staying true to yourself and your beliefs really has nothing to do with why people, myself included, attack you on here. It has everything to do with something that easily fixed and, even before that, easily prevented.

Obviously spelling and grammatical errors will happen on the internet. It’s just that your average post contains about four of them and it seriously DOES make your post harder to read. You could take the extra minute to fix them before you post. It’s not like you’re in a race to post your thoughts here. Everyone will see them in good time.

• nycsportzfan says:

If you cant read my posts, then you got more issues then my grammar. I’m on about 5 blogs or message boards, just as much as this one, for yrs longer, as i’m diehard yankee, knick, and giants fan, and never one time, has anyone, mentioned my grammar, nor that they had a tough time reading it.

• forensic says:

This brings up so many questions and issues that I’m not even going to bother mentioning.

• Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

Honestly? I try to explain myself and my position, and your response to all that is to suggest I have issues, claim that no one else has ever complained about your internet grammar, and then say I might have to end my life?

I have only one response:

• Dalek Jeter says:

Wow, really fucking classy. Never tell somebody to kill themselves. That’s fucking dumb, mean, low, stupid, and any other millions of negative adjectives that can’t come to my mind right now. I may attack your intelligence. I may attack your grammar. I may attack any number of things about a person. I expect retaliation. Attack in any way you can/want, hell even threaten them physically, but NEVER tell somebody to kill themselves or any other euphemism for it. That’s crossing a fucking line.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

See…..and I know this because you once posted your entire name and hometown as your screen name during a game chat (because you’re not bright), but I’ve got you pegged exactly right.

There, for some reason, is a section of New Englanders that are massively proud of their own ignorance. They will purposely act dumb, thumb their noses at those who’ve actually accomplished something in life, and act as if their simple ways are just plain better. I know someone who married a guy like this. This is totally you.

How you can be proud of this is beyond me, but it is downright fucking offensive to me, as someone who has been paying off a student loan on his graduate studies for fourteen years now, that you’re proud of being as fucking ignorant as you are.

• nycsportzfan says:

Your on a fucking messege board 24/7, you fucking loser.lol Your a pussy who hides behind his computer screen. Seriously, we can do this all night, but its not fulfilling enough arguing back and fourth with a fucking screen name.

I’ll be back later, i’m sure you’ll be here.

• nycsportzfan says:

If you know where i’m from, stop by sometime. I’d love to see ya.

Fuck you.

There are a zillion ways I could procrastinate, yet I choose this. I need to choose better.

If you even think you’d be worth the possibility of spending a night in jail, you’re just not. I actually do have much bigger fish to fry.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I was about to cite my resume to you, but I’m not giving you the satisfaction of knowing my personal information.

Don’t mistake my amazing ability to procrastinate and STILL succeed in life with anything other than what it is.

You wish you were me on my worst day ever, pal. Don’t think this is some equal interaction. I lower myself by interacting with you online. There are many, many better things I could be doing right now. I sleep just fine at night.

I won’t be here later. I’m sure you will be, though, and I’m sure you’ll find the same response whether I’m here or not.

• Amelia says:

HA. The ol’ you wish you were me response.

Only on the internets… Let me guess your house is bigger than his too. LOL

• jjyank says:

“Its how I spell, and how I write, and thats the way it is. I’m sorry dude, you might have to end your life now.”

So you admit that you’re an ignorant jackass who has little value for human life? I’ll keep that in mind. Not that any single person on this site took you seriously anyway, but still. Wow.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

What are you talking about?

The dude just wants to come here and talk ball.

I know that, when I first started reading this blog, it was all “Yeah dude, look at that hit, lol! Woah…baller….fuck yeah! Attaboy! Grab these nuts!” and all that great thoughtful analysis which brought so many of us to RAB.

It was the entire basis of TSJC’s manifesto of why Mike Mussina should be in the HOF….because he wuz a hoss, bro!

• jjyank says:

Also, you are a fucking scumbag.

• jjyank says:

…so, you’re cool with sounding like a 5 year old. Got it.

• forensic says:

You’re lying.

You know they told you that if you ever wanted to be taken seriously that you shouldn’t be on a Star Wars message board in the first place.

:-)

20. nycsportzfan says:

Biggest ripoff, Jeter for MVP in 2006, or Andy Pettitte for Cy Young in 1996?

• Dalek Jeter says:

Jeter, only not his 2006 campaign. His 1999 campaign.

• forensic says:

Pettitte’s not even in that discussion.

• nycsportzfan says:

Yeah, i’d probably side with Jeter in 06, but winning 21games on a WS winning club, at 24yrs old, was pretty cool.lol

• Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

Pettitte didn’t have great peripherals though. Hentgen threw 40 more innings at an ERA about .60 less.

• KeithK says:

They hadn’t invented peripheral stats yet in 1996. But that huge difference in ERA was more than enough to hand Hentgen the award even in the world of old-fashioned stats.

• nycsportzfan says:

I’d say the complete games hurt Pettittes chances. I didn’t even realize, Hentgen had 10CG’s to Andys 2, that yr.

• Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

Jeter by a lot. You could argue 2009 as well as 1999 and 2006, if you wanted.

Pettitte was not the best pitcher in ’96.

21. Yolo Fo Solo (Alkaline) says:

Dalek Jeter says:
    April 21, 2014 at 9:25 pm
    Seriously, alkaline, not crazy about the new name. =P

The irony of just typing out what I did and having this name is not lost upon me. :D

• Dalek Jeter says:

I don’t even care if he makes mistakes constantly, especially if they’re actual mistakes. It’s the fact that he intentionally misspells somebody’s actual name. Like if I’m Sori reading this I’m probably insulted that he refuses to spell my name properly after he had been corrected and seen it spelled correctly 100s of times.

22. nycsportzfan says:

Bout to go grab some Ben and Jerrys.

23. forensic says:

Wow, Ian Desmond is up to 9 errors on the season already to go along with a .229/.254/.368 line. And tonight’s two errors led to 4 runs in the 8th inning which, barring another Angels’ bullpen implosion, will lead to a Nationals loss.

• Dalek Jeter says:

So…you’re saying he’s available?

• forensic says:

I’m saying he should be that guy asking ‘Do you want fries with that?’.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Well, he’s only a year removed from being a consecutive 5fWAR player. He’s also only 3 years away from being a consecutive replacement level player. I wouldn’t completely write him off just yet.

• forensic says:

Oh stop it, he doesn’t need your help. He can homer and try to shut me up all on his own.

Of course he did it off Ernesto Frieri, who should be the guy handing him the fries when a customer asks for them. :-)

24. Dalek Jeter says:

Carols Marmol is still in baseball? And he’s being allowed to pitch in a tied game in the bottom of the 9th? WOW.

• forensic says:

Heh, I was just watching that too. And in an effort to out-stupid Mike Redmond, Fredi Gonzalez had Jason Heyward try to bunt and give an out to a guy who can’t throw a strike.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I…just don’t understand. He’s one of your best hitters and you’re gonna have him bunt?!

• forensic says:

Heyward is having a terrible year so far, but he can still at least draw a walk.

Either way, Marmol somehow got through it, so not being satisfied Redmond brought an even worse pitcher in for the 10th and lost the game.

Meanwhile, Steve Cishek is sitting well rested in the bullpen watching it all happen. It’s pretty clear now why the Marlins are 0-7 on the road.

25. Mike Axisa says:

This is one warning for everyone: if you don’t grow up and cut the shit, I’m going to start banning everyone. Regulars, non-regulars, I really don’t care one bit.

26. Chip Rodriguez says:

I’m just going to spend the next hour or so laughing hysterically at the fact that the Lastros are up 6-2 against King Felix the Great Ace of Seattle.

• Zach says:

The only “good” thing about 2013 for Cano.. gives him an idea of what the next ten years in baseball will be for him postseason wise.

• mustang says:

Wow!!

Seattle is about to lose their 7th straight the last 3 to the Marlins and this one with their King Ace on the mound to Houston.

Hi Robbie having fun yet?

• mustang says:

Of course Cano is doing is part
        .270AVG./1HR/8RBI/.329OBP/.351SLG/681OPS

• Tom says:

Give him a year or two.

When he doesn’t see them add a supertstar next offseason (or sees FA hitters avoiding SEA like the plague) and realizes “crap our success is based on Smoak turning the corner?” and “Abe Almonte has to get on base for me to drive runs in?”… then I think reality will set in.

I don’t know if you watch any of the local broadcasts – but those guys were giddy after the opening series sweep of LAA and 26 runs scored. “Is something special happening here?” “Is the offense turning the corner” “something’s clicking with Justin Smoak?” Now reality has clearly set in for them. I think they are under 3runs/game after the LAA series and Justin Smoak is…. Justin Smoak.

• mustang says:

I don’t follow the local stuff on the regular, but I was trying to keep track of Nick Franklin for a while when the Yankees were in the picture.
          They talked up spring training a bit too much I thought maybe that explains the LAA things.

“Welcome to the Real World.

• mustang says:

Probably won’t happen, but a Houston sweep would make me smile.

27. Steinbrenner's Ghost says:

I wonder if Saux fans will boooo Ellsbury tomorrow.

Remember how they trashed Damon

They even through money at him and harassed his lovely wife.

• Chip Rodriguez says:

Of course they will.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Yup. They will. I’ll boo Robbie, so who am I to talk, I guess. All part of the theater of it all. Just keep it civil out there.

Speaking of which, I feel like I just woke up with Mike Tyson’s tiger wandering around and jjyank with a face tattoo.