Apr

Saturday Night Open Thread

Yes, it is only two games, but man these last two games were a lot of fun. The Yankees got their first looks at Masahiro Tanaka and Michael Pineda, two 25-year-old right-handers who are expected to anchor their rotation for the next few years. Both pitched well, especially after rocky second innings. Their combined pitching line: 13 IP, 11 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 13 K against a good Blue Jays lineup. The outcomes of the two games are almost secondary. Tanaka and Pineda look like legit rotation building blocks.

Anyway, here is your open thread for the night. MLB Network will air a game, though who you see depends on where you live. The Final Four is on plus the Nets, Devils, and (hockey) Rangers are all playing tonight as well. Talk about those games, this afternoon’s loss, Tanaka, Pineda, or anything else right here. Have at it.

(Video of Pineda’s start is not embeddable for whatever reason. Here’s the link.)

Categories : Open Thread

1. nycsportzfan says:

Kinda bummed about the Knicks. I can’t believe I let them real me back in again, only to have a devestating loss last night at home against the Wiz, in which Melo had more turnovers then I think a SF has ever had before, with 9(should of been 10). Crushing defeat! I’m still somber over that loss.

2. pat says:

In the zone swing and miss stuff, bahgawd

3. vicki says:

abe almonte. seriously.

4. forensic says:

Just listening on the radio, but it sounds like UConn is in danger of getting blown out of the arena by Florida.

• Yangeddard Solarte says:

And now UCON has the lead at the half. Wouldn’t be surprised at all if they beat Florida and then won it all. They’ve gotten hot at the right time. I think they did this same thing under Calhoun a couple years ago.

• forensic says:

Guess it’s a 29-9 run now for UConn (at least, haven’t been paying much attention).

Pretty impressive.

• Electric says:

They were six and a half point dogs too!

• nycsportzfan says:

They been dogs the last 3games. I think they’ll be favored in the championship game , no matter who they play, weather its Kentucky or Wisconsin. Shabazz Napier is unreal.

5. Grit for Brains says:

Kendrys Morales would fit in nicely right now.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Meh. He’s a switch hitting DH with mediocre numbers against LHP who happens to hold a first baseman’s glove from time to time. Sure he may be slightly better offensively (not even better, just more consistent year in and year out really) than Kelly Johnson, but I think Johnson is almost sure to be better defensively.

• forensic says:

Not so much. He vastly overrated anyway, but even beyond that, he hasn’t played a single game yet. By the time he was even in game shape and game ready, Tex might/should be back anyway. You can’t just step in and suddenly hit major league pitching

6. Electric says:

Jagielo still hitless (0 for 3 right now)

7. forensic says:

Uh oh, Buchholz got lit up tonight. Might be time to visit the DL again…

8. BigLoving says:

Looks like we got us a pitching staff boys! Really liked what I saw out of Pineda today, have to admit I never saw him pitch while he was with Seattle. He just gets the ball and attacks the zone, works very quick on the mound. And from what I saw he looks like he is in great shape and took his rehab back seriously. I really couldn’t be more excited about this rotation going forward.

9. LarryM. Fl says:

Watching Tanaka and Pineda pirch regardless of the W/L was priceless. Thinking of a solid rotation, better hitting and average defense could mean a good year. Stay healthy guys.

10. Dalek Jeter says:

Jeez, the end of the tournament is like the beginning of the NHL and NBA playoffs, they seem to drag. Forever.

11. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

U-C-O-N-N
    UConn!
    UConn!!!
    UConn!!!!!!!

• Jimmy Page says:

Hell Yeah !!!!! Huskies!!!!
      These 2 guys broadcasting this game are awful!!!! Were Nance and Packard taken hostage by Florida fans and replace by these 2 ass clowns!!!!! The whole game they praised Florida showing their fans their bench their coach Billy Donovan, Chandler Parsons, the players moms !!!!!!!!!!! Did they mention Kevin Ollie’s once and or give him credit for the incredible coaching he has done?????? Why no video coverage of UCONN fans, players, coaches, players families, NBA alums celebrating a great upset victory???

• forensic says:

Which channel were you watching on? You do know that TBS/TNT/TRUTV are each doing different broadcasts, right? One is UConn-centric, one is Florida-centric, and one was neutral. It’s the same thing for the next game.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Not sure if serious, but just in case – you are aware they had 3 different broadcasts, right?
        One neutral, one UConn-centric, and one Florida-centric.

I watched the UConn broadcast, which was pretty bad with Donny Marshall constantly complaining about every foul call going against the Huskies, even blatant fouls.

• forensic says:

I can imagine how bad it could be. Even if my team had survived their last game, I still wouldn’t have been able to watch a hometown crew calling it, especially when I’m sure they were told to go even more overboard than they normally would. As it is, I can barely even listen to the annoying hometown radio broadcasters when I have to listen during work.

• Jimmy Page says:

I want CBS with Jim Nance and or Vern Lunduist or Bill Rafterey. They do a great job. 3 Broadcast teams is a bad idea. Why the change??? It makes no sense. Bad idea. I don’t get it.

12. nycsportzfan says:

Abe Almonte with 4ribbys and a tater all ready this yr.

13. Roy says:

If the Opener gets rained out, when do you think they will play it ?

Will the Tuesday regularly scheduled game be the real opener ?

• forensic says:

There’s a 10% chance of rain Monday in the Bronx (from what I see). Why is this even a question?

Will the Tuesday regularly scheduled game be the real opener ?

That would be the first game at home, right? So, it’s the opener. It’s extremely unlikely that the teams would want to play a DH this early in the season since it’s two AL East teams.

14. J says:

Anyone think Seattle would like to undo the Jesus Montero deal?

• Dalek Jeter says:

I think they would in a heartbeat, even if they had known Pineda would be out until 2014, and even if today is Pineda’s best start of the season. I mean, even before ST Jack Z said something a long the lines of “Montero is not at all in our plans” and Noesi just got DFA’d today. Heck *knocks on wood* Pineda’s arm could fall off tomorrow and you’d have to say NY got the better end of the deal with Campos still in the org.

*Note I am not saying that Pineda and Campos are the best return the Yankees could have gotten from Montero at the time if Pineda’s arm falls off tomorrow, but that of the deal that actually happened NY would still have gotten the better end.*

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Hey, they’ve got Babe Almonte now, apparently.