Apr

Yankees call up John Ryan Murphy and Scott Sizemore

The Yankees have called up catcher John Ryan Murphy and infielder Scott Sizemore, the team announced. To make room on the 40-man roster for Sizemore, Frankie Cervelli (hamstring) was placed on the 60-day DL.

Murphy, 22, was off to a 5-for-26 (.192) start in seven games with Triple-A Scranton, though three of the five hits were doubles. If it wasn’t obvious before, it is now: he’s ahead of Austin Romine on the organizational catching depth chart. Just sitting on the bench and going through the various scouting meetings will be a good learning experience for Murphy.

Sizemore, 29, was hitting .344/.436/.500 (160 wRC+) with three doubles and a triple in ten games down in Triple-A. He has struck out in 41.0% of his plate appearances, however. Sizemore can play second and third bases, giving the team some extra depth and protection in case Derek Jeter (quad) and Brian Roberts (back) continue to deal with their nagging injuries.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. folley of the pre-determined outcome says:

Cannot argue with those moves.

2. Dan says:

They must not be optimistic about Cervelli if they wouldn’t move Ryan there instead.

• RetroRob says:

That type of injury can take up two months. With the extra catching depth they have and the need to open a roster spot, it’s not too surprising. He might be ready a week or two earlier, but with Murphy and Romine in the wings, they can give it longer.

Cervelli lost his chance as a starter last year with the broken hand. Have to wonder if he’s about to lose his back-up job, too.

• TWTR says:

If there is no room for Cervelli when he is healed, I would like to see him go to AAA to try to become more proficient at 1B and 3B, if possible.

3. jjyank says:

The Team Sizemore era has begun in earnest.

Bow to your champion, mortals.

4. JonS says:

Interesting they choose Cervelli over Ryan for the 60DL.

5. Andrew says:

Makes sense to 60-day Cervelli given the severity of the hammy strain and the fact that they do, at this moment, have the luxury of a strong amount of catching depth. If Brendan Ryan were 60-day’ed but then was healthy sooner it’d be a wasted opportunity to replenish the already weak-as-hell infield depth.

6. Dalek Jeter says:

Now will it be the day game or the night game that has them in the starting line up with Ichiro and Anna?

• RetroRob says:

Night game. Won’t send Jeter and Roberts (if he’s playing) out to play two games and he’ll let them play in the day game with warmer weather.

Just a guess.

• nyyankfan_7 says:

One of the games is against the lefty Travis Wood (or at least so I thought) and it was supposed to be the game tomorrow night.

I would bet that is the game Murphy plays and would assume Anna would not play against the lefty.

• vicki says:

it looks like it may be slightly warmer for the night game than the day. but the old dudes prefer the 1pm starts. gets them finished in time for the early bird and matlock.

7. Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Team Sizemore, this is our moment!!!! Let’s grab the world by the balls!

Also, Bryan Hoch must have been talking to some other Brian Cashman when the Canzler move was mentioned. I’m sure there’s an 86 year-old guy named Brian Cashman on the UES somewhere.

8. The Other Matt says:

Although he has swung the bat well in Triple A and was presumed to earn a roster spot, eventually, once the Yankees signed him, it has to be a little disconcerting that Sizemore has struck out in 41% of his plate appearances. I know it’s a small sample size, and he has swung the bat well aside from that, but the strikeout’s are more likely to increase, and base hits decrease, in a move up to the big leagues. I know I’m nitpicking here for a guy that is coming off two major knee surgeries, and doesn’t presume to have an extremely large role, but just had to point that out. I think a bit of me wanted to see Russ Canzler get called up because he’s a guy like to play with on the MLB The Show LOL, so that might explain my mini-rant. With that being said, I hope Sizemore performs well. I’ll be interested to see what move the Yankees make once Texiera is cleared to come back, hopefully Sunday.

• Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

“it has to be a little disconcerting that Sizemore has struck out in 41% of his plate appearances”

I’m just going to leave this here yet again.

His 41% k percentage shouldn’t worry you any more than his crazy triple slash should encourage you. Take everything, the good and the bad, with a MASSIVE grain of salt. ~30 plate appearances is nothing.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

Yup.

Yupyupyup.

• Preston says:

I get it. A K rate doesn’t stabilize until 100 PAs. But the first 30 PAs count. He was well on his way to posting a very bad K rate in a meaningful sample even if he improved greatly over the next 70 PAs. Plus we’re not even talking about major league PAs. He’s striking out at that rate against inferior competition. And it’s not like this is something new. His career K rate is 25.8%. That is high. It’s perfectly reasonable to worry that two years away from the game has eroded his contact skills even further. If that’s happened it becomes pretty hard to be a productive big league hitter without having elite walk rates and power.

9. JGYank says:

Ladies and gentlemen, Scott Sizemore has arrived.

10. bulasteve says:

Can either please 1st?

• Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

I don’t know, she’s a demanding mistress.

• bulasteve says:

Well if not please 1st, what about play 1st?

• Preston says:

Neither has ever played an inning at 1b in either the minor leagues or the major leagues. Murphy has played 3b though. And considering that Sizemore has plenty of experience both at a corner position (3b) and on the the right side of the infield (2b), I think he’d be fine at 1b. However I think I’d rather just have KJ at 1b and Sizemore/Solarte/Anna manning 3b.

• handtius says:

well said.

Cureently, Kelly Johnson is doing a good job.

11. TWTR says:

Good. I thought Sizemore made more sense than Canzler.

12. Cuso says:

Finally number 24 HAS COME BACK to Why Esss Threeeee!

/teamsizemore’d

13. stuckey says:

If Stephen Drew would like to take Scott Sizemore’s place in AAA, I’m down with that.

He can even have a June 1st opt out.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

If signed to an MiLB deal, would we steal give up the pick?

This is purely fantasyland, obviously, but I wonder how the CBA worked this out.

14. The Oberamtmann says:

I thought we dislike when prospects are called up and rot on the bench. Now just being there is a good experience? He’s been around for scouting meetings before. Unless the plan is for him to catch and McCann to play first base, meh.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Repeating the level anyway, and catching offers him a greater opportunity to play. They’re not all going to get called up and inserted into the lineup every day.

• I'm One says:

Except he’ll get fairly regular playing time, as it seems the Yankees are giving McCann regular rest. He should get at least 2 games a week, which while not ideal, still gets him in games and allows him to learn while on the big league club. He was only up for Sept. last year. He still has plenty to learn.

15. Dalek Jeter says:

The new era is among us.

16. Mike HC says:

Murphy could be as good or better than Cervelli. Sizemore could be better than Roberts and maybe even Solarte in the long run. I think the team might have just gotten a little better.

17. Robert says:

I think this is the end of Cervelli as a Yankee,Just too many injuries to stay on the roster.Murphy gets to intern as McCanns caddy while Romine gets to build up his trade value as the everyday Scranton catcher.
    Sanchez will get a cup of Coffee this Sept, be the everyday catcher in Scranton next year and get the 1st call to the Bronx as needed in 2015

• stuckey says:

Sanchez better stop hitting and throwing base stealers out at a 50% clip, or he’s going to be Scranton’s everyday catcher way sooner than that.

Remember, he already got some reps at AA last year. If he keeps playing well, he’s not going to spend the whole year there.

• Cuso says:

He’ll be back this year. It’s April.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Not so sure about that.

I guess anything is possible if Murphy goes on fire, but one still has options while the other doesn’t. I don’t know if I’d place the “injury-prone” label on Cervelli yet, no matter how not a fan of his I am.

• Robert says:

Well if Romine goes down in Scranton than Sanchez couls see some action in Scranton. I saw him play last week he is the real deal!Hopefully he stays healthy!

• Preston says:

Cervelli has played 100 games exactly once. And that was 2012 when 99 of them came at AAA.

2008- wrist fracture
        2009- concussion
        2011- foot fracture
        2013- hand fracture
        2014- hamstring

That’s a lot of serious injuries. Catching is a demanding business. You need to have a more resilient body than the average ballplayer to do it and stay healthy.

• Darren says:

I like Cervelli, but if he’s not injury-prone, I don’t know who is. The multiple concussions, broken foot, broken hand, injured wrist, hammy, twisted testicle (rumor only), etc.

18. Cuso says:

Oh my God. Do you realize that if Sizemore strikes out in his first PA, he’ll have a 1.00 K/PA ratio?

19. mustang says:

WHAT THEY DIDN’T SIGN STEPHEN “OBVIOUS” DREW I’M OUTRAGED!!!!!

Lets torch the Yankees head offices.

20. gbyanks says:

So what number will murphy wear, 55?

21. mick taylor says:

should yanks sign carlos pena to back up at first base

22. mustang says:

Scott Sizemore’s in his job before signing with the Yankees.

I know about Steinbrenner’s facial hair policy,but i think they should give him a pass!

• mustang says:

Oh! mighty Sizemore lead us pass the land of “weak ass infield” and help us fight the false god Drew with his false prophet Boras and their followers so we can reach the land of the playoffs.

• mustang says:

Where do get my Team Sizemore membership card, T-Shirt and bumper sticker?

I’m all in on Team Sizemore!

• mustang says:

Team Sizemore Membership so far:
      jjyank
      Cuso
      Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead
      JGYank
      Dalek Jeter
      mustang
      I’m One
      Jorge Steinbrenner
      Chip Rodriguez
      Mr. Roth

Its catching on baby!!!!!!

If people can lose their minds about Drew we can do the same about Sizemore!

• Chip Rodriguez says:

More reasons to love Sizemore:

He signed with the Yankees when they made him an offer! (Unlike other infielders who turned them down to go to the Red Sox.)

He’s not costing anyone a draft pick, whether second round or otherwise!

He’s game-ready, having been playing in AAA, rather than sitting at home waiting for someone to make him an offer!

If the Yankees want to extend him, no Scott Boras to deal with!

He wears 24. It’ll be nice to see Tino’s old number on the field again.

• mustang says:

Oh! vicki

I don’t think we have any female members yet.

;)

23. TheEvilUmpire says:

Serial killer John Ryan Murphy called up, and suddenly bodies stop appearing around Scranton. Coincidence? I think not!

24. LouDog says:

Who starts Sunday verse Rays? It can’t be Shane Greene. They cannot send Nuno down to get stretched out. Could that be a bullpen game that is started by Nuno?

• Chip Rodriguez says:

Nuno’s thrown enough pitches in that I don’t think it’ll be an issue having him start once. 67 in his last outing, so no reason he can’t throw 70ish and hopefully go 5 innings. (Good thing Phelps and Warren can both fill up a few innings as well.)

• vicki says:

give us aceves!

25. King of Fruitless Hypotheticals says:

Who is the BUC at AAA?

26. dars says:

I predict Scott Sizemore will unseat Brian Roberts and JR Murphy will unseat Cervelli.

Sizemore is a very solid player, relible defense, some extra pop – .260-12-65 RBIs type of player.

Cervelli will be gone shortly after his return packaged in a mid-season trade for Chase Headley.

One man’s disgrace is another man’s glory…

27. emac2 says:

Romine needs the consistant at bats and spent enough time in the majors last year. I’m not so sure Jr is ahead based on this alone.

28. Chip Rodriguez says:

Some big questions ahead of us now.

What will John Sterling’s HR call be for John Ryan Murphy? What about for Scott Sizemore?

What nickname will Girardi come up with for Sizemore? Sizey? Scotty?

• adeel says:

Beam me up Scotty! Sizemore sizes one out of the park!

(honestly, as corny as that one is, Sterling will think of an even worse one)..

Girardi will prolly picky Scotty, although MOREsy would be better (and confuse reporters for awhile)…