May

Heyman: Yankees among teams with “strong interest” in Hanrahan

Via Jon Heyman: The Yankees are among at least five times with “strong interest” in free agent right-hander Joel Hanrahan. He is believed to have multiple offers on the table and is likely to sign rather than hold another showcase for teams. Hanrahan is working his way back from Tommy John surgery and two other elbow procedures (bone chips, flexor tendon).

Hanrahan, 32, was said to be sitting in the low-90s during a workout for teams a few weeks ago. He is not quite a full year out from surgery, but as a reliever it won’t take him very long to get game ready. There is always room for a guy like Hanrahan in the bullpen, especially since the Yankees are in position to ease him back into things after surgery and not ask him to be a late-inning guy right away. With both Vidal Nuno and David Phelps in the rotation, adding a reliever like Hanrahan to replace the bullpen depth sure makes a lot of sense.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. Even though the Yankees have Bailey coming back to contribute later in the year, I would pretty much go all out to sign Hanrahan if he shows that he is healthy. While a lot of the pen has done a great job so far, a major injury to Robertson or Kelley would really undermine the pen. Having as many late inning relievers in the pen as you can is always a good thing.

• Andrew says:

Bailey’s injury is a shoulder one, I find it hard to believe he’ll contribute to the MLB club at all in 2014. I think that was an “eye on 2015″ move more than anything. Hanrahan’s problems were all elbow related, so I think you add him if it makes sense/he’s healthy regardless of what happens with Bailey’s rehab.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Yeah, there’s very little issue with doing this. Who knows what they’re getting out of Bailey, and having two healthy vets in the second half of the season can’t be seen as anything but a good thing.

Never been a big Hanrahan guy, as he just puts too many guys on base, but he’s been effective and won’t be asked to carry too heavy a load here if it comes to it.

2. mike says:

it would also allow the Yanks to trade a cost-controlled effective pitcher in the pen in a package ( Warren, betances etc) as they pursue an additional starter

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I can’t imagine a scenario in which we still don’t need those two as part of the bullpen this season, especially Warren.

3. jsbrendog says:

yes, please

4. tom says:

Umm.. I guess Yankees won’t count on Mark Montgomery this season at all. Damn it.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Not necessarily true. At some point, the 40-man situation stabilizes a bit, especially once we’re able to get guys like Leroux and Billings off it. There may be room to add a bullpen arm like a Montgomery to the mix.

• mitch says:

The Yankees have gone through about 20 relievers in the first month of the season. Adding a guy coming off elbow surgery doesn’t mean others won’t make an appearance. Don’t be so dramatic.

• Ed says:

Count on him? No, they shouldn’t. Give him a chance? Still possible.

Even if Montgomery pans out the way we hope, he’s likely to be bouncing between AAA & the majors for a year or two after he makes his debut.

5. The Doctor says:

This could be a big move for solidifying the bullpen’s near future. Robertson, Hanrahan, Thornton, Kelley, and Warren are a great top five, Betances could potentially take another step forward and be a legitimate late inning choice, Bailey could help out later, and even Mark Montgomery could make the jump to the majors pretty soon. They’d have a whole pen of closers and setup men with even more options waiting to fill in for injured guys.

6. TWTR says:

The Yankees are in no danger of running out of money, so…

7. danny says:

What’s the deal with Aceves? Injured or not effective?

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Wasn’t he doing well in AAA? I assume he’s waiting his turn just like any other depth option would.

8. Bobby d says:

Adding a veteran reliever can only help. With the way injuries are occurring these days the more pitching the better. While the Yanks are at it start bugging the Phillies about Cliff Lee. Repeat you will not win a championship without another quality starter this rotation is too fragile something I’ve been saying since before spring training started!!!

• TWTR says:

Unless the Phillies are eating a good chunk of his contract, no thanks.

• I'm One says:

If they eat a good chunk of money, they’ll want more in the way of prospects. Both alternatives would need to be weighed.

• TWTR says:

Then I would pass. This team needs to keep their best prospects and work on making the ML roster younger. I don’t believe in one year plans.

• I'm One says:

I’m with you on that and while Lee (if the Philles actually decide to trade him and he accepts coming to NY) wouldn’t be a long-term peice, he would provide a few years (potentially through 2016) of well above average performance. That will be needed as the Yankees transition to a new pitching core. It all depends on the prospects the Yankees would need to give up. Need a catcher & a OFer? Take your pick. Pitcher? Well, their might be someone available. It all comes down to cost.

• TWTR says:

To both you and JS:

I am not willing to trade Sanchez or Murphy until one of them establishes themselves as the heir apparent to McCann (the position is too important, and the ability to find quality catchers is limited), unless they get an offer that completely blows them away, and then only for a player under 28.

Until and unless Williams/Austin/Heathcott re-establish their value, I don’t think they have the right pieces to trade in an important deal.

And since the strength of their system as at the lower levels, they would necessarily be trading low on most of those prospects.

So I think this is a season to do the best they can with what they have.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Those first two paragraphs are the conclusion I began to come to when I wrote my reply to you.

This is why I think that, while Lee is unrealistic, there may be better targets out there.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

The question, as always, is who are the best prospects worth keeping and who exist merely to be trade pieces.

This is not a specific argument for Lee, as I feel his name always tends to come up in a knee-jerk sort of manner, but we can’t keep everyone.

I can break into the Kenny Rogers song, if you’d like.

• mitch says:

Lee is still pretty awesome. The prorated 3/75 isn’t actually that bad. Honestly, I’d probably pay the entire thing and still give up a decent package. (Though not what Mike tossed out there a couple weeks ago). Lee is the caliber of pitcher that could push them into the playoffs and/or swing a playoff series.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

The issue is, if I were to say, “they can have anyone from AA/AAA other than Sanchez,” that automatically doesn’t leave us with much to.

It’s not an easy deal to make. If Philly thinks they can plug Tyler Austin into the lineup next year, I’ll drive him and a couple of other myself up there. That’s not what it’s going to take, though.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I ate a word in the last sentence of that first paragraph somehow.

• mitch says:

Yeah i have no idea if they’d even line up for a trade. I was mostly just trying to point out that Lee + his entire contract still has value. Who knows if Lee would even approve a trade to the Yankees? He hasn’t shown much interest in playing here

• The Great Gonzo says:

As much as i love the concept of Cliffton Lee, I feel like his trade to the Yankees would end up looking alot like Randy Johnson circa 2005: about 4 years too late.

I mean, the narrative is just too strong to ignore there.

• mitch says:

It’s not a bad comparison, but Johnson was a few years older when they acquired him. Plus, Lee’s repertoire is more likely to hold up as he ages. It’s not like Johnson was a total bust either. His first year was pretty good.

• The Great Gonzo says:

Yeah, the comparison is honestly more like you trying to hook up with your high school crush at your 15 year reunion… except now shes 3 kids, a bad divorce, and a bad spray tan in to life. Not to mention that bout with the bottle she went through…

Still would do it and it will be TOTALLY worth it, but nothing compares to buying in at the right time rather than a little too late.

• Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

Man, I do not see the kind of decline in Lee’s numbers for that comparison.

Maybe, she has 3 kids, but still runs 3-4 days a week, and got a divorce because of an asshole husband, so has some trust issues, but is willing to work those out?

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Man, you fucking love that comparison.

I think Lee’s a bit better than that. She’s just really showing a couple of wrinkles, but is still the girl you dreamed of when you had the Madonna poster above your wall.

And only one kid.

9. The Great Gonzo says:

I’d rather roll the dice on Hanrahan now rather than trade for “Good reliever on Bad Team X” in a month (or along with that trade, should it come down to it).

With Hanrahan, it is only money and not a prospect. Sign me up

• I'm One says:

+1.

• The Great Gonzo says:

And not to be confused with “save all teh prospectz!”, but if you’re gonna trade some young guys, what do you say we send a few of them for a longer term piece like a Headley type player.

10. Preston says:

I’m all for grabbing this guy and seeing if he can contribute. But he always walked a healthy amount of batters and control usually isn’t as sharp the first year back from TJS. Not sold on the idea of him being better than Kelley, Warren or even Betances. I wonder if he’d be willing to do a deal with a team option for next year?

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I’m certainly not counting on him passing the first two, or even the third eventually. I just like the idea of him providing depth for that stretch run we hope is there.