May

Jeter and Ellsbury among All-Star voting leaders

MLB released the first update of the All-Star fan voting this afternoon, and both Derek Jeter and Jacoby Ellsbury are among the top vote-getters at their positions. Jeter has received the third most votes overall behind Mike Trout and Jose Bautista, and the gap between him and the next highest shortstop (Alexei Ramirez) is the largest gap between first and second place at any position. Barring injury, Jeter will start the All-Star Game. I’m sure of it.

Ellsbury is a distant third to Trout and Bautista among outfielders. Carlos Beltran is fourth and not all that far behind Ellsbury while Brett Gardner is further down in 11th place. Mark Teixeira is fifth among first baseman, Alfonso Soriano is fourth among designated hitters, and Brian McCann is second among catchers. Along with Jeter, Ellsbury, Trout, and Bautista, the current voting leaders are Miguel Cabrera, Ian Kinsler, Josh Donaldson, David Ortiz, and Matt Wieters. The current voting results are right here. Voting ends at midnight on July 3rd. Here’s the ballot.

Categories : All Star Game, Asides

1. Nick says:

Yan Solo write in!

2. ropeadope says:

Leave it to Mike to miss Suzuki. Fifth on the ballot, less than 500 votes out of fourth. Oh wait, that’s Kurt.

3. Darren says:

There’s still plenty of time for Jeter to put together All Star caliber numbers before the break. And if not, a farewell appearance for one of the game’s best players of all time seems pretty reasonable. And even if it’s not, that’s what the fans want, so go to hell!

• RetroRob says:

I want to see him there, even if he’s singling along at .260. Despite what Selig has done with the “now it matters” b.s., it’s an exhibition.

• Mike HC says:

Somewhere deep down, I think Jeter is still shaking off the rust, and will have a big second half. And he most definitely deserves to be an all star this year even if that resurgence does not happen.

• Yankee Fan 1 says:

Getting voted into the ASG this year is a lifetime achievement award. The fans know it, MLB knows it, Jeter knows it. But he 100% deserves & needs to be there. Ripkin’s last ASG was fun to watch.

4. Nick says:

Yangervis write in Campaign!! Who’s with me!?

5. Yangeddard Solarte says:

A month ago I said the following would be AS’s – Jeter, Ellsbury, Tanaka, Robertson, Solarte, Texiera. And people laughed at me. Who’s laughing now? Ellsbury and Jete don’t have the #’s but they have the votes. The rest have the numbers. And maybe Delin can sneak in, too.

• ropeadope says:

Loving your tagline – Who’s laughing now? Please continue using it at every possible opportunity.

6. It was later reported that approximately 0 people were surprised that Jeter is leading in SS in ASG votes.

7. stuckey says:

I wouldn’t make any hotel reservations if I were Solarte.

That’s going to be a VERY tough rotation (2B-SS-3B) to crack, given the voting, the names involved and the every team represented rule.

Jeter and Ramirez, Donaldson and Cano and Kinsler are shoe-ins.

Pedoria could sneak in via voting and Cano and Kinsler will still go.

Longoria is name brand and him getting a little hotter will make him a favorite.

Seager and Plouffe all have bigger RBI numbers which the ASG loves.

8. Yan Solo says:

All-Star voting is such a sham. The best players (that year; throughout the first half at the least) are hardly ever awarded the All-Star berth they deserve. And yet we decide the World Series home field advantage on a single game where the players who actually play in such a (now) meaningful game are voted in on a “high school prom king popularity contest” style ballot? In my opinion, this is just another sign of Bud Selig’s failure and incompetence as commissioner of MLB. He instituted a new rule which carries with it a pretty significant outcome, while continuing to allow the sport’s not so significant performances (in some cases) of the first half determine that pretty significant outcome.
    I love baseball so much, but things like this drive me nuts. Personally, I think the tie between WS home field advantage and the AS game was asinine to begin with, but to not change the method as to how the All Stars were chosen (when instituting such a significant change) was straight up negligent. They should have just left it to a celebratory exhibition game in the middle of the season where the popular players play. That, or completely overhaul it if you want it to have full value. I don’t think you can conceivably have it both ways. End rant.

• Darren says:

Is the current system any worse than having home field advantage being decided by essentially a coin flip, which it was when it alternated one year to the next? I mean now, there’s at least the possibility that a player on a WS team can affect the outcome if he plays well in the ASG.

Selig was a horrible dog blight on the game, and this will never make up for his “shrug, guess it’s a tie”, but I don’t know if the imperfections outweigh the potential for a cool story. Even if it rarely happens.

• vicki says:

regular season record should determine home field. if the records are tied and there is no head-to-head, then you can use the outcome of the all-star game.

• Darren says:

I’d be down for that. But the questions remains….is the current system better than the old alternating years system?
          I think it is, but barely.

• Yan Solo says:

The current system may hold more value than ever before… but is it the right kind of value? I don’t think so in the slightest. See my idea (in response to vicki’s comment). I’m curious what you think.

• Yan Solo says:

I agree regular season record should determine the home field (as it did before any of these rule changes; i.e. coin flip, All-Star game) especially now that the AL and NL teams actually see each other during the regular season.
          I would almost go so far as saying it should be this simple: Home field advantage should be determined by the best overall record between the two teams that make it to the World Series. Best overall record in regards to the WS home field advantage rule does not include all games but only the interleague games played. The WS team who did better (i.e. W-L record) against its opposing league competition during the regular season is awarded the WS home field advantage. In the event of an equal record of interleague results between the WS teams, the team that statistically played tougher competition during interleague play (i.e. Interleague opponents W-L records) will be awarded home field advantage.
          I think that’s a lot fairer than it was before interleague play was created, before the coin flip, and before the AS game connection. I’m sure it has its flaws, but I just don’t see any reason for the All-Star game to be connected to the WS home field advantage.

• Yan Solo says:

I would like to add (in case anyone is actually reading this at this point) that even my idea is flawed to an extent because the only way it could truly work in an absolutely fair manner would be if all teams from one league played a minimum number of games (maybe 2-3) against the teams from the other league. But even with that flaw (i.e. AL team could play tougher NL opponents or vice versa), I believe my system (keeping in mind the new meme: yourworldseireshomefieldadvantageproposalsucks) is still more legitimate than Bud’s All-Star Circus Maximus Extravaganza.

• vicki says:

i think you may be trying too hard. division rivals don’t play the same teams the same number of games, but we still think it’s fair enough to use W-L records to determine a winner and post-season seed.

• Yan Solo says:

At least I’m trying here! MLB made it into one of those crappy state fair traveling carnival games. But I get your points. I did admit my idea was flawed; something Bud will probably never do :)

9. ALZ says:

So Yangervis is stuck behind a player with a 72 WRC and one with a 68 wrc. What a sham.

10. Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I actually think Betances would be a more fun write-in, but that’s just me.

11. Alex Ngo says:

Ichiroooooooooooo

12. Kyle Ming says:

Ichiro, Ryu, Chan Ho Park, Hideki Matsui, Yu Darvish, Hiroki Kuroda, Masihro Tanaka, Kurt Suzuki, Shin So Choo

13. Alex Chong says:

Red Sox suck my titters!!!!

14. Hi I'm bob says: