The video above is OF Mason Williams making a ridiculous catch after slipping in the outfield during yesterday’s game. He might not be hitting much this year, but Williams is an outstanding defender and one of the very best in the all the minors. Here are some notes:
- OF Ramon Flores, IF Dean Anna, and RHP Diego Moreno were all placed on the Triple-A Scranton DL, according to Donnie Collins. Flores has an ankle injury and will miss a month or so. Not sure what’s wrong with the other two. C Jose Gil, IF Carmen Angelini, and LHP Francisco Rondon were bumped up to replace them.
- According to his Twitter feed, RHP Gabe Encinas pitched in an Extended Spring Training game today. He made seven starts for Low-A Charleston last year before blowing out his elbow and needing Tommy John surgery. Encinas is one of the hardest throwers and best sleeper prospects in the organization.
- IF Jose Pirela and 2B Rob Refsnyder were named the Triple-A International League and Double-A Eastern League Offensive Players of the Week, respectively. Meanwhile, RHP Jaron Long was named the Low-A South Atlantic League Pitcher of the Week. Congrats to all.
Triple-A Scranton‘s box score and game log seem to be broken after a lengthy rain delay. I’m not going to wait around any longer. Here is the link if you want to check it out yourself.
Double-A Trenton had a scheduled off-day.
High-A Tampa (8-2 win over Fort Myers)
- CF Jake Cave: 1-6, 4 K
- SS Cito Culver: 0-3, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 2 K
- 1B Greg Bird: 2-5, 1 2B — had been in a 2-for-22 (.091) slump
- 3B Dante Bichette Jr.: 1-4, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 E (throwing)
- LHP Conner Kendrick: 6 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K, 3/7 GB/FB
Low-A Charleston (9-6 loss to Hickory)
- LF Michael O’Neill: 1-5, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 K
- SS Tyler Wade: 0-3, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 E (throwing)
- RF Aaron Judge: 2-3, 1 R, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K – three straight games with a homer … 9-for-22 (.409) with two doubles, a triple, and three homers in his last six games, so the power’s a comin’
- 3B Miguel Andujar & CF Dustin Fowler: both 0-4, 3 K
- 2B Gosuke Katoh: 1-4, 1 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 2 K — second homer in his last ten games
- RHP Brady Lail: 5 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 3 BB, 6 K, 6/0 GB/FB — had three walks in his previous 34 innings (0.79 BB/9)