Jun

Pineda’s rehab pushed back after MRI shows “trace” of inflammation

Another setback for Michael Pineda. Yesterday’s precautionary MRI showed a “trace” of inflammation in his shoulder, Joe Girardi confirmed, so he will not play catch this weekend as expected. The team is hopeful Pineda will be able to start a throwing program next weekend instead. He’s been out since late-April with a muscle strain and has already suffered one setback. Brian Cashman recently said they don’t expect to get Pineda back until August.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. rbibaseball says:

News Flash an MRI is always going to show something wrong, because its a very sensitive test. If there is inflammation give him some aleve and let him play catch.

2. nycsportzfan says:

Exactly why the Yanks almost must make a deal for a pitcher by the deadline. Nuno is terrible, and there is very little ML ready depth in the System at this point. Even if CC does come back, the Yanks look like there gonna be in this thing till the end and can’t let pitching depth hold them back from a possible playoff berth/championship.

Jason Hammel or Jeff Samardzjia would be nice.

3. forensic says:

I’m shocked! SHOCKED, I say!

4. PunkPitch says:

Traces of inflammation weeks after being shut down, IS serious. You don’t take two aspirin, and plow ahead. Good move by the staff to stay on top of one of their most important assets going forward.

5. Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Ready?

Rub some pine tar on it.

And I’m out…

6. Kenny says:

August? Really? I’ll put my money on March. Time for an agonizing reappraisal of what’s tradeable in the system. It’s not just a pitcher they need either. This puny HR production is not likely to get them to the post-season. Hell is Other Teams: especially when they bring power into ittie bittie Yankee Stadium

7. TWTR says:

Good luck to him, but I will believe that he is coming back when he is actually back.

8. Bike myke says:

Release this loser and be done with him

9. Tuscan Chicken says:

Will Carroll, the so called injury expert, said he heard they will seriously think of non-tendering him if he can’t make it back this season.

I don’t buy it. He isn’t that expensive, is he?

• Algernon blackwood says:

How much are you willing to pay for nothing?

I’ve noticed those doing a victory lap about the trade have been awfully quiet. I guess you can’t pass judgement the second it looks like its working out on your favor

• ProjectNeo says:

He’s making a little over 500k a year. Pretty much major league minimum. Hes worth hanging on for the upside IMO.

• forensic says:

He’s not making $500K a year. He’s making $500K this year.

Next year is his first arb year. He’s certainly not going to break the bank given the injuries, but he will be making real money even just based on his rookie year.

As I said when that tweet first came out, I don’t think they’ll cut him, but I would absolutely understand if they did given all that’s happened just over the last couple of years.

10. FlubJub says:

Just admit it’s another Cashman failure and move on. He’s done.

11. monkeypants says:

Britt. Burns.

12. Farewell Mo says:

It’s not often you see someone miss almost an entire season because of. a strained muscle. Adrian Peterson came back faster from a torn ACL

I’m betting we don’t see this guy till spring training. He’s the Nick Johnson of pitchers.

13. Carl Pavano says:

Just give the guy some time.

14. Robert says:

Hate to say it but Stick a fork in him this Turkey is done.Seattle knew it 3 yrs ago.
    Instead of waiting for a guy on the DL Yanks should be looking elsewhere.
    With his injury history Pineda and his body of work not that impressive.

15. Mike says:

What an awful trade. Both teams lost.