Jun

Yankees activate Francisco Cervelli, send John Ryan Murphy to Triple-A

As expected, the Yankees have activated Frankie Cervelli off the 60-day DL, according to Mark Feinsand. John Ryan Murphy was sent to Triple-A Scranton in the corresponding move. The Yankees already had an open 40-man roster spot for Cervelli, so no other move was needed. The 40-man is now full.

Cervelli, 28, missed two months with a Grade II hamstring strain. He went 3-for-16 (.188) with a double in five games before getting hurt. The Yankees had Cervelli play some first base during his rehab assignment, so he could see time there this summer. The 23-year-old Murphy went 18-for-63 (.286) with a homer in 24 games as Brian McCann‘s temporary backup. If he doesn’t get traded at the deadline, we’ll see Murphy in September or when Cervelli gets hurt again, whichever comes first.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. JR Murphy looked great and showed he can be an everyday regular catcher in the big leagues. That should only enhance his trade value. How about a package of JR Murphy, Brett Gardner, and prospects to the Phillies for Chase Utley and Cole Hamels…..

• Paisa says:

Funny how everyone wants to trade Gardner. It’s such a nonsensical idea. He’s arguably been their best offensive player and they just locked him up. Really don’t understand where all this is coming from.

• LarryM Fl says:

Why chase a trophy every year with the expense of your best young catcher. Why trade Gardner who is one of the best fielding OF’s in baseball who makes good contact for Utley and Hamels. Not that they are bad players but the Yanks need youth even a smattering of youth. This team is loaded with old dogs who are showing their ability to play on a consistent level which is not high. The OF would be Ellsbury, Soriano, Ichiro, Beltran and call up Almonte. I would not be pleased with Beltran and Soriano penciled in for defense.

Hamels would be nice but he’s been around he block. Look this year and next will test the Yankee fans mettle but it could bring us a younger club which would be positive.

Every year Cashman looks for 35 year olds to complete his roster. Have we not seen enough of this direction!

• ALZ says:

You realize that we would be trading several prospects, opening a hole in left field, as well as adding over $100MM in additional salary compared to Gardner’s deal.

2. Frankie Cerveddardi says:

I think I speak for everyone when I say that Frankie’s energy is the jolt that we need. This team has look sluggish since Frankie went down. If you recall, the club took 3/4 from Boston when Frankie got hurt hustling down the 1st base line and it was his hustle that led to the winning run. Look for Frankie to energize the team on this homestand.

• Farewell Mo says:

IMO, your shtick has become kind of tiresome but this one is so ridiculous that it actually made me laugh.

3. Kronk says:

Mixed feelings here. I really like Murphy but it’ll be good for him to get regular playing time at AAA rather than once a week

• I'm One says:

Yeah, SKJRM proved what he needed to prove and that is that he’s a capable MLB backup C, if not more. Cervelli will probably get hurt again. In the event that McCann gets hurt, Murphy will get called up again and I could see him getting more time than Cervelli in that case.

However, in a backup role, I don’t think there’s a significant difference in the team’s overall performance with either Cervelli or Murphy on the big league roster, so may as well keep both by sending Murphy down. Depth is a good thing.

4. Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Slightly disappointed. I really don’t think Cervelli’s any sort of incumbent who automatically gets his job back at Murphy’s expense. We know what Cervelli brings. I thought Murphy really brought with him some nice upside at the plate, and could be seen as someone who could spell McCann as needed. I’d rather see Cervelli stashed in case of emergency.

Still, though, it’s the BUC role, and I do think the bullseye is on Murphy’s back if a trade for a starter happens.

5. John Cee says:

I’m not a Cervelli fan…he’s a marginal player at best, too injury prone and frankly, I’m not a fan of rah-rah guys. Regardless, the move was obvious and sensible for the Yanks plus, nothing much will change.

As far as losing Murphy to a trade…a trade for whom? The Yanks need much help and some luck just to make the playoffs. As far as a deep run in the playoffs, unless Tanaka pitches every game, I can’t see it happening.

If they get Chase Utley (another old guy, but real good for the moment) and Samardzija they surely would help the team. If Beltran, McCann and Jeter get hot and stay hot and if Teixeira stays healthy…well, ok. They have a chance. If they get a good CC back, even better chance. If a healthy Pineda comes back, really, really good chance.

Not that I’m not rooting for all of that or something close to it happening, but there’s a few too many ifs, in my opinion…

6. Chase Whitley Strieber says:

“…or when Cervelli gets hurt again, whichever comes first.”-

Not “if” he gets hurt again?
    Yes, considering his injury history it might be likely enough to bet on that happening, and yet there is something off-putting about stating out loud and with certainty that misfortune will visit someone.

7. TWTR says:

They may well be a worse team now.

8. ropeadope says:

6 DH Carlos Beltran
    7 RF Ichiro Suzuki
    8 2B Brian Roberts
    9 3B Kelly Johnson

SP Masahiro Tanaka

• CS Yankee says:

Their 1 thru 4 are way, way better but the bottom 5 favors the NYY, IMO…throw in tanaka and this should be a win.

Bold prediction is that the NYY gets the series sweep.

• ropeadope says:

Would love a sweep (obviously), but I believe 2 out of 3 is more realistic. As to the bottom five in the lineup, don’t overlook Francisco, and Kawasaki will be looking to impress.

• I'm One says:

C+ Brian McCann

That’s probably a fair grade based on his overall game so far.

• ropeadope says:

If Mike hands out midterm grades (as he did last season), they’ll be some brutal ones contained therein.

9. Kevin says:

@JonHeymanCBS: hear the #yankees are getting lots of calls asking about john ryan murphy @JRMurphy513 who was sent down today

• JAG says:

Imagine that, getting lots of calls about a rookie catching prospect who’s shown promise and ability at the MLB level.

Not digging on you, just on Heyman. If he could tell us who the calls were from and what they were offering, then it might be worth listening to.

10. Derek Jeter says:

Trade me for prospects!

11. Jarrod says:

Booo!! I don’t like Cervelli and quite enjoyed seeing JRM develop. This makes the Yankees slightly less interesting IMO.

12. ALZ says:

Love when Gardy just gets those stadium cheapies.