- As expected, the Yankees have sent RHP Bryan Mitchell back down to Triple-A Scranton, reports Matt Kardos. The MLB active roster currently sits at 24 players. Carlos Beltran is expected to be activated off the 7-day concussion disabled list after the All-Star break.
- RHP Luis Severino has been promoted to Double-A Trenton, according to Josh Norris. That is really, really aggressive. He made four starts and threw 20.2 innings with High-A Tampa. Maybe they’re showcasing him for a trade.
- Norris says OF Jake Cave was promoted to Trenton from Tampa as well. I wonder if that means OF Mason Williams will be demoted to Tampa for the rest of the season? It wouldn’t be undeserved.
- LHP Jacob Lindgren was promoted to Tampa from Low-A Charleston, according to his father’s Twitter feed. That makes sense. It probably won’t be his final promotion of the summer either.
- If you’ve ever wondered what minor leaguers receive when they win an Offensive Player or Pitcher of the Week award, Severino shared it on Twitter. It’s just a paper certificate like you used to get in elementary school.
- And finally, Ben Badler wrote a pretty great article on C Luis Torrens and his development as a recently converted catcher. You need a subscription to read it, unfortunately.
Double-A Trenton is also off until Thursday for the All-Star break and yes, the game is tomorrow night. C Gary Sanchez, C/1B Peter O’Brien, OF Ben Gamel, LHP Matt Tracy, and LHP Tyler Webb are all representing the Thunder. Both Sanchez and O’Brien will participate in the Home Run Derby. Trenton’s coaching staff will also be calling the shots for the Eastern Division Team.
High-A Tampa and Short Season Staten Island both had scheduled off-days.
Low-A Charleston was rained out. They’ll play a doubleheader tomorrow.
Rookie GCL Yanks1 (6-2 win over GCL Yanks2) lumping the two teams together into one section
- SS Abi Avelino: 2-3, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 BB — played another seven innings as he works his way back from the quad injury
- CF Leonardo Molina: 1-4, 1 RBI, 1 K
- DH Alex Palma: 0-4, 1 RBI, 1 K
- 3B Drew Bridges: 0-3, 2 BB, 1 SB
- 2B Junior Valera: 3-5, 1 3B, 1 RBI, 1 SB — 11-for-35 (.314) with ten walks and five strikeouts in his last ten games
- RF Wilmer Romero: 1-3, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 E (fielding)
- RH Dayton Dawe: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 2 K, 1/1 GB/FB
- RHP Alex Polanco: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 4 K, 1/0 GB/FB — 8/8 K/BB in seven innings