Jul

Yankees lose war of attrition, Twins walk off with 2-1 win

Source: FanGraphs

This game was so stupidly 2014 Yankees. It had everything. No offense? Of course. Worn out bullpen? Indeed. Terrible defense? Naturally. Add it all together and you get a silly 2-1 walk-off loss in eleven innings. I can’t even be mad. I’m impressed at how low they’ve stooped. Let’s recap the team’s tenth loss in the last 14 games:

• Gift Run: The Yankees scored their only run after the umpires missed Ichiro Suzuki being thrown out at second on a stolen base. It was a bang-bang play, no doubt, but replays showed he was tagged out. Thankfully the Twins never bothered to challenge or even argue. Frankie Cervelli followed with a two-out single to left to give the Yankees a one-zip lead in the fifth. It was the first of two runs he helped drive in on the afternoon.
  • Cy Phelps: David Phelps deserves so much better than a no decision. He gave the team seven innings of one-run ball when the bullpen was gassed, which is exactly what they needed. He allowed three hits — one a Josh Willingham solo homer off the facing of the second deck — and two walks while striking out three. Phelps retired eleven in a row at one point, immediately before the homer. He did his job.
  • LMAOffense: The Yankees put runners in scoring position in the sixth, seventh, and tenth innings, but of course they didn’t get The Big Hit. (They went 1-for-5 with runners in scoring position overall.) They had opportunities to score in the late innings. This wasn’t the offense disappearing for like five innings at a time, though someone named Yohan Pino held them to one run on three singles in six innings. Blah.
  • Thrown Away: Cervelli literally threw this game away. Joe Girardi went to Shawn Kelley and Matt Thornton for two innings each because the bullpen has been overworked — Kelley escaped a bases loaded jam in the eighth — which is about as risky as it gets. Thornton faced eight batters and six were right-handed. (He didn’t even get the two lefties out.) Chris Colabello just missed a walk-off homer in the 11th, instead settling for a leadoff double. A Willingham intentional walk and an Oswaldo Arcia hit-by-pitch loaded the bases with one out. Thornton got a weak grounder back to himself, started the potential 1-2-3 double play, but Cervelli threw the ball into right field to lose the game. Shoulda just held onto it, I’m not sure a perfect throw would have gotten the out. It’s their second walk-off error in the last eleven days.
  • Leftovers: Alfonso Soriano missed a foul pop-up and went 0-for-4 with two feeble strikeouts at the plate. He is hitting .221/.244/.367 (61 wRC+) on the year. I defy you to find a more useless player on an active 25-man roster … Brett Gardner replaced Soriano in left to start the ninth inning but did not pinch-hit for him in the previous half-inning for whatever reason … the Yankees had no extra-base hits and the singles belonged to Derek Jeter, Brian Roberts, Jacoby Ellsbury, Carlos Beltran, Ichiro, and Cervelli (two) … Mark Teixeira and Beltran drew the only walks, so for the eighth time in the last nine games, the Yankees drew two walks or less … the so-called Bronx Bombers have been held to one run or less 18 times this season. They did it 29 times all of last year.

MLB.com has the box score and video highlights, FanGraphs some other stats, and ESPN the updated standings. The Yankees wrap up this four-game series in Target Field on Sunday afternoon, when Hiroki Kuroda gets the ball again Ricky Nolasco. Nolasco has a 5.49 ERA, which is the highest among qualified starters by one-third of a run. You and I both know that means little with this offense.

Categories : Game Stories

1. jgibs says:

Confused as hell about that Cervelli line til I got the joke. Then I laughed out loud in bed and my wife asked what was so funny. Yes, I’m in bed at 8pm on a Saturday night. Somebody shoot me

2. J says:

Plain and simple. Yanks stink. Could Almonte do worse than Soriano?

3. MB923 says:

“I defy you to find a more useless player on an active 25-man roster ”

Not many to pick from that’s for sure. Truthfully I think the better move to make when Wheeler was called up was to DFA Soriano instead of sending down Solarte. They sent down a player with a 1.2 WAR and a 105 wRC but kept a player with a -0.9 WAR and 64 wRC

4. Cuso says:

For whatever reason I got the MLB package free for the first half of the season. After game 81, I lost all the channels.

I’m not going to be purchasing for the second half of the season. I’ll just follow on my phone, pad, etc. I’ll not waste money to foul my eyes up even further. Straight unwatchable. I’ll miss Tanaka’s starts every fifth day, but hopefully they’ll have some on national TV.

To be sure, I’m not quitting on the team. I’m just not going to pay to watch this bullshit.

• Tom says:

I think they generally have a free preview on most cable carriers for a week or two after the all star break.

• Cuso says:

Yeah, they do. For whatever reason down here, Comcast botched and forgot to cut off the free preview two weeks after opening day.

But, yeah. They do it again after the AS Break.

• vicki says:

there’s some pretty good baseball being played out there. the package is worth it to me for trout, puig and kershaw.

do you have milb.tv? it’s really cheap, and pretty cool if you can stand the mostly awful broadcasts.

5. Tom says:

“It was the first of two runs he drove in this afternoon”

Snark meter turned up to 11… (pretty damn funny)

——-

Gardner didn’t hit for Soriano in the 9th because there was a lefty on the mound… and Soriano is mashing them this year, wRC+ 83. (well at least compared to righties who he’s tuning up for a less than Chris Stewartian wRC+ of 52)

• vicki says:

versus brett gardner, who has a 113 wrc+ against lhp this season; 99 career.

but the team’s issues obviously go much, much deeper than sori, who’s had only 43 at-bats since the start of may (same number of plate appearances! go figure).

6. ALZ says:

Soriano has reached Jackie Bradley JR bad levels at the plate (WRC+), yet can’t touch him in the field.

7. Dick M says:

200 mill for a .500 ballclub with major holes to fill at 3 infield positions , a corner outfielder and 2-3 starting pitchers.

This is not the kind of thing that gets fixed at the trade deadline.

8. Not an ace says:

I wonder what the rationale behind keeping Soriano is. Does Girardi or Cashman think that he’s going to turn it on in the 2nd half? How come nobody in the media is asking them about this?

• FIPster Doofus says:

They’re clinging to the fact that he’s a streaky player who, as recently as last year, could get hot enough to carry a team for a bit. Time to let that go, though. He’s done.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Even if he does get hot and carry them for a month, at this point would it have been worth him being a worst-than-Chris-Stewart-black-hole for the entire first half?

• Deep Thoughts says:

Yep. I hoped and waited but watching him flail and flounder after missing the fair pop-up after he missed the foul pop-up was the last straw for me. Time for Zoilous Wheelmonte on the left side.

9. Dalek Jeter says:

“I defy you to find a more useless player on a 25 man roster” Michael Choice, Texas Rangers. .173/.243/.315 wRC+49, worse on defense, and worth almost a full win less than Soriano’s -0.8 fWAR at -1.9. Not saying Soriano hasn’t been awful. He has been FUCKING TERRIBLE, I was just curious if I could rise to the challenge.

10. Need Pitching & Hitting says:

So it appears Bruce Billings may be getting a callup.

That should give the team a spark.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I wonder what the record is for being DFA’d by the same team the most times in one season.

11. W.B. Mason Williams says:

I’ll be the one to lament the end of Soriano’s career.

He’s not a HOFer, but he deserves a plaque more than Tino, which he will not get.

I thought you were great Alfonso.

• Derwood says:

Please settle down. Soriano deserves a “plaque” for what?

I thought Soriano was great too, in 2002 and 2003.

• FIPster Doofus says:

He will go down as a rather underappreciated Yankee, definitely, and an underappreciated major leaguer in general. Hell of a career.

• Kosmo says:

he´ll go down as the player traded for Arod. He had good power numbers the rest of his game was very average to mediocre.

• ALZ says:

He had a decent career, but if he actually thought when he came to the plate he could have had a hof career. He had all the tools, he had the health, he just doesn’t think when he comes to the plate.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Thanks to you and Kosmo for making my point. Underappreciated indeed – 400-plus HRs and almost 300 steals. Not many in MLB history can say they did that. Again, hell of a career.

12. Jorge Steinbrenner says:

It was a frustrating loss. I don’t know if there was anything truly remarkable about it, though. We know the offense is going to suffer pretty often. I thought all three pitchers really showed up when needed tonight. I’m no Cervelli fan, but whatever. He tried to do too much.

No, I wouldn’t wait for another Soriano hot streak to occur. I love him to pieces, but that goose sure looks beyond cooked.

13. willie w says:

everyone needs to calm down

CASHMAN IS WORKING ON A SOLUTION

any day now some team will release someone worse than soriano

AND CASHMAN WILL GRAB HIM UP !!!!!

• Deep Thoughts says:

Scrap-Heap Menu – July 5, 2014:
      ===============================
      Jeff Francis
      Joe Saunders
      Justin Maxwell
      Yankee-killer Pedro Ciriaco (.415/.436/.566 in 56 PA)
      Chris Capuano

14. Nathan says:

Start selling off any pieces that will get anything of value. Sucks to have to do it Jeter’s last year but some things were just beyond the Yankee’s control (injuries) while others were the Yankee’s doing (relying on Beltran, lineup).

15. 461deep says:

Alphonso is a nice guy but maybe he is done. May get a few more dingers but a legit hot streak perhaps not. Actually Frankie playing pretty good except for that throw. Tex cold this week. O’s looking good but Ubaldo’s hurts them. Jays just lost again & Edmond hurt so not good. Yankees better than Twins who look weak in many areas especially pitching & power. If Kuroda wins later today team has a chance at a nice 7-4 or 8-3 road trip.

16. Bob Callison says:

Let’s face it, the Yankee hitting sucks! Here’s what I don’t understand: Texeira has the whole left side open when he bats left and he keeps hitting into the shift. Either he’s an egotist who wants to go deep all the time or a moron who doesn’t understand that it’s not about his stats, it’s about winning. He’s killing them. If a professional ballplayer can’t hit to the opposite field, that’s pathetic. This is what he does for a living.
    Aside from that, who is the idiot who tells a team who can’t hit to take the first pitch for a strike? The opposing pitchers throw meatballs on strike one and the pathetic Yankees take them. Then they hit behind in the counts defensively. Ridiculous!
    Yes, Soriano is done. Don’t put him out there. He swings and misses on outside pitches of the plate every time.
    Gardner resigning, and the Ellsbury and Tananka acquisitions were great but for half a billion dollars, the rest don’t measure up.
    If George Steinbrenner were alive today, he would disown his sons and send Cashman to the glue factory

• WhittakerWalt says:

The team never gets more than two walks a game. They need to be swinging less, not more.

• ALZ says:

Teix is tied with Gardner for the best Wrc+ on the team.

“Aside from that, who is the idiot who tells a team who can’t hit to take the first pitch for a strike?”

Have you watched this team, ever?
      This team is way more aggressive than the teams 10 years ago. They are smack in the middle of the pack of teams for the first pitch strike.

17. mike says:

I am no Soriano fan,but someone needs to tell Joe that he is not a dh or a part time player,to possibly be productive he needs a couple of weeks in the field every day,then see if he improves,if not dump him