The Yankees lost last night because every late-August winning streak is bound to end at some point. The key is getting right back up and starting a new streak, not letting the losses pile up, something they’ve been unable to do this year. Examples:
- Five straight wins in April followed with two straight losses and three losses in the next five games.
- Four straight wins in May followed by four losses in the next five games.
- Eight wins in ten games in June followed immediately by nine losses in eleven games.
- Seven wins in eight games after the All-Star break, then five losses in the next six games.
- Six wins in seven games earlier those month followed by a five-game losing streak.
If the Yankees are going to make a serious run at a postseason spot — and make no mistake, their chances are very small right now — one loss can’t turn into a mini-two-game losing streak tonight. Bounce back, pick up a win, and keep moving forward. That’s the only way they’ll have a chance. Here is the Tigers lineup and here is the Yankees lineup:
- CF Jacoby Ellsbury
- SS Derek Jeter
- 2B Martin Prado
- 1B Mark Teixeira
- RF Carlos Beltran
- DH Brian McCann
- 3B Chase Headley
- LF Brett Gardner
- C Frankie Cervelli
RHP Shane Greene
It’s cool and cloudy in Detroit, but there is no rain in the forecast. We’re definitely starting to see more late-season baseball weather. You know what I mean. Tonight’s game is scheduled to begin at 7:080pm ET and you can watch on YES locally and ESPN nationally. Enjoy the game.