2014 Record: 84-78 (633 RS, 664 RA, 77-85 pythag. record), didn’t qualify for postseason
Top stories from last week:
- The Yankees started the week with four games at home against the Orioles. Michael Pineda and some relievers threw a one-hitter in the first game and a comeback fell short in the second game. Wednesday’s loss officially eliminated New York from postseason contention and Joe Girardi reportedly ripped the club in a team meeting afterwards. The Yankees won the home finale thanks to Derek Jeter’s memorable walk off single. Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium was the most watched game in YES Network history.
- The Yankees traveled to Boston to play the Red Sox in the final series of the season. They won a call-up filled series opener before Masahiro Tanaka got roughed up in Saturday’s loss. The Yankees closed out the season with a win yesterday. Jeter singled in his final career at-bat and was given a huge ovation when he was lifted for a pinch-runner.
- Injury Updates: CC Sabathia (knee) and Ivan Nova (elbow) are both on throwing programs as they rehab from surgery. Alex Rodriguez has been declared healthy by an insurance company and is preparing to play next season. Eric Jagielo took a fastball to the face in Instructional League but appears to have escaped without major injury.
- Brandon McCarthy said it would be “hard to find a better fit” than the Yankees when he hits free agency. Cuban free agent Yasmany Tomas has a $75M offer in hand, but not from the Bombers.
- The Yankees claimed Eury Perez off waivers from the Nationals and designated Josh Outman for assignment. Perez might be something more than a warm body in September.
- Shortstop prospect Jorge Mateo was ranked as the fourth best prospect in the rookie Gulf Coast League.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.