Record Last Week: 3-3 (20 RS, 19 RA)
Season Record: 73-68 (555 RS, 581 RA, 67-74 pythag. record) 9.5 GB in ALE, 4.5 GB of WC
Opponents This Week: Mon. OFF, vs. Rays (three games, Tues. to Thurs.), @ Orioles (four games, Fri. to Sun.)
Top stories from last week:
- The Yankees were off on Monday, then the Red Sox came to the Bronx for a three-game series. Shane Greene got pounded in the series opening loss. Hiroki Kuroda helped the Yankees to a win on Wednesday, then a walk-off homer by Chase Headley gave them the win in the finale.
- The Royals came to town for a three-game weekend set next. James Shields shut the Yankees down in the opener, but New York rebounded to take the middle game on Saturday. They were unable to score in yesterday’s loss.
- Injury Updates: Masahiro Tanaka (elbow) threw in the bullpen for the first time since being shut down with fatigue and reported no problems. Ivan Nova (elbow) has started a throwing program as he rehabs from Tommy John surgery. David Phelps (elbow) has thrown two bullpen sessions and could be close to returning. Martin Prado (hamstring) missed a few games with a mild strain but has since returned to the lineup. Brett Gardner (abdomen) is day-to-day with some kind of irritation. Francisco Cervelli (head) is day-to-day with migraines.
- Among the players called up when rosters expanded on September 1st were Chris Young, Preston Claiborne, Chase Whitley, Chaz Roe, John Ryan Murphy, Rich Hill, Bryan Mitchell, and Antoan Richardson. Austin Romine was called up later in the week following Cervelli’s migraines. Matt Daley was released and Zoilo Almonte was designated for assignment to clear 40-man roster space.
- The Yankees intend to offer Brian Cashman a new contract after the season. Assistant GM Billy Eppler is expected to be a candidate for the now vacant Diamondbacks GM job.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.