As promised, the weekly link dump returns this weekend. I had been putting it off the last few weeks because of the postseason and a bunch of other reasons. Anywho, here’s a bunch of random stuff I read these last few days. Hopefully you enjoy one or two of ’em:
- Here’s a really great post from Ken Arneson about ten baseball things he believes without any evidence. It’s very (very) science-y, so it’s not for everyone. I really enjoyed it though, because I am a giant nerd.
- In wake of the death of Oscar Taveras, Jorge Arangure wrote about the dangers young players face in Latin American countries. Driving is a big part of it due to poor road conditions and the general stupidity of young, inexperienced drivers.
- Ken Doctor examined the development and economics of MLB and MLB.com’s mobile experience. The MLB At-Bat app towers above similar apps for other sports. It’s $150 total for At-Bat and MLB.tv for the year, and if they doubled the price, I’d still buy it. It’s that good.
- My pal Jack Moore says the Wall Street mentality of front offices has sucked the joy and innovation out of what amounts to “public sabermetics,” namely fans coming up with cool stuff. I don’t necessarily agree, but it’s an interesting read. Neil Weinberg wrote a response.
- And finally, Alex Pavlovic spoke to basically the entire Giants pitching staff and asked them what Buster Posey’s best trait is as a catcher. All of them cite an intangible, not a physical skill like blocking pitches in the dirt or framing borderline strikes.
Friday: Here is your open thread for the night. The Devils are in action and the Knicks and Nets are playing (each other). Talk about anything and everything right here. Except politics and religion. This ain’t the place for that.
Saturday: Once again, this is your open thread. The (hockey) Rangers, Islanders, and Knicks are all playing, plus there’s a bunch of college football on as well. Talk about whatever here.
Sunday: Here is the open thread one more time. The late NFL game is the Bears and Packers, plus the Nets and Rangers are playing. You folks know the deal already, so have at it.