Got some notes to pass along:
- OF Slade Heathcott (hand) is expected to return to the lineup Friday, says Shane Hennigan. Also, RHP Tyler Cloyd was placed on the 7-day DL with an unknown injury, clearing a spot on the Triple-A Scranton roster for LHP Phil Coke. Coke will start Friday. Apparently he was working as a starter in independent ball and is stretched out.
- RHP Gabe Encinas has been placed on the High-A Tampa DL, according to Nick Flammia. He left his last start with an injury, though I’m not sure what happened. LHP Josh Rogers has been promoted from Low-A Charleston to fill the rotation spot. RHP Christian Morris and OF Carlos Vidal are heading to the River Dogs in other moves.
- Bunch of good stuff from Brendan Kuty: Triple-A Scranton manager Al Pedrique on OF Aaron Judge, farm system head Gary Denbo on RHP Domingo Acevedo, and 2B Rob Refsnyder on 2B Rob Refsnyder. Check it all out.
- LHP Dietrich Enns landed a spot in Baseball America’s Prospect Report today following his latest scoreless outing. It’s not behind the paywall, so head on over and give it a read.
Both Triple-A Scranton and Double-A Trenton had scheduled off-days.
High-A Tampa (5-4 win over Dunedin)
- SS Jorge Mateo: 2-5, 1 3B, 1 CS — 13-for-34 (.382) with a triple and two homers in his last nine games
- DH Mark Payton: 1-4, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 K
- 1B Billy Fleming: 2-5, 1 R
- 3B Miguel Andujar: 2-5, 2 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI — four homers in 18 games this year … he didn’t hit his fourth homer until his 33rd game last year
- 2B Abi Avelino: 1-3, 1 R, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 1 BB, 1 SB — his ninth career home run was a grand slam
- LF Zack Zehner: 0-2, 1 BB, 1 HBP
- CF Michael O’Neill: 1-3, 1 BB
- C Francisco Diaz: 1-4, 1 K
- LF Jake Skole: 1-4 — the 15th overall pick in the 2010 draft is hitting .216/.241/.333 with 19 strikeouts and one walk in 14 games
- RHP Jose Campos: 5.1 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 3 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 3/4 GB/FB — 56 of 87 pitches were strikes (64%), plus he picked a runner off first … 26/12 K/BB in 28.2 innings so far
- LHP Caleb Frare: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 4 K — 21 of 32 pitches were strikes (66%)
- RHP Matt Marsh: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GB/FB — 15 of 26 pitches were strikes (58%)
Low-A Charleston was rained out. The game was cancelled and will not be made up. Seems like it’s a little too early in the season for that, but whatever.