In the meantime, here are a bunch of links to check out this weekend. Some of them are a few weeks old. Sorry.
- Here is David Laurila’s annual best quotes of the year post. It’s one of my favorite features of the year. Some quotes are funny and some are insightful. They’re all worth reading.
- Here is Jayson Stark’s annual strange but true post. It’s basically a recap of all the weird stuff that happened in baseball last season. I put together something similar at CBS.
- Jeff Sullivan wrote about pitch-framing and how the skill is losing significance. Every team wants good framers, so they teach it, and now the gap between the best and worse framers is shrinking.
- Sam Miller on reliever economics is a must read. Teams are paying relievers more than ever before (but not really) and they’re doing it because that’s how the game has evolved.
- And finally, check out Vince Lara-Cinisomo on players transitioning out of baseball. Not everyone makes it to the big leagues, and going from baseball to a different career can be awfully tough.
Friday: This is the open thread for the evening. The Knicks, Nets, Devils, and Islanders are all playing tonight, plus there’s college basketball on as well. Have at it.
Saturday: This is the open thread again. The NFL playoffs start today, so that’s fun. You’ve got Raiders-Texans (4:30pm ET on ESPN) and Lions-Seahawks (8pm ET on NBC). The Knicks, Rangers, Devils, and Islanders are all playing as well, and there’s a whole bunch of college hoops as well. Pretty nice little Saturday.
Sunday: For the last time, this is the day’s open thread. The NFL playoffs continue with Dolphins-Steelers (1pm ET on CBS) and Giants-Packers (4:30pm ET on FOX). The Nets are also playing right now, and there’s college basketball on throughout the day. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.