Masahiro Tanaka started and had probably his worst outing of the spring, meaning he actually allowed some hits. Three of ’em, in fact. The very first hitter of the game ended his 8.2-inning hitless streak. Can’t finish off the hidden spring no hitter, huh? Some ace. Tanaka struck out three in 5.1 scoreless innings. He’s up to 18.2 innings with a 0.00 ERA this spring. Ernesto Frieri struck out the side in his inning. He’s faced seven batters since signing with the Yankees: six strikeouts and a homer. Here are the box score and video highlights, and here are the day’s notes from Spring Training:
- If you missed it earlier, Bird has officially been named the starting first baseman. I guess the two homers are his way of celebrating. There still hasn’t been a decision made about right field though. Joe Girardi said it’s too close to call right now. [Bryan Hoch]
- Hoch has the pitching assignments and hitting/fielding groups for those who didn’t play in today’s game. Dellin Betances threw his first bullpen since returning from the World Baseball Classic.
- Shane Hennigan has the day’s minor league lineups, if you’re interested in such things. That Low-A Charleston lineup is fun. Their regular season lineup figures to look awfully similar too.
- The Yankees will be on the road to play the Rays tomorrow. Jordan Montgomery is making the start. That game will be on ESPN and MLB.tv.
- Sad news: Dallas Green passed away today. He was 82. Green was a baseball lifer who managed the Yankees in 1989. He and George Steinbrenner had some disagreements.
This is the open thread for the evening. USA and Puerto Rico are playing the World Baseball Classic Championship Game tonight (9pm ET on MLB Network), so that should be fun. The (hockey) Rangers, Islanders, and Knicks are all playing as well. Talk about anything except religion or politics right here. Thanks in advance.