Record Last Week: 2-2 (11 RS, 9 RA)
Season Record: 47-43 (488 RS, 388 RA, 54-36 pythag. record)
Opponents This Week: @ Twins (three games, Mon. to Weds.), @ Mariners (four games, Thurs. to Sun.)
Top stories from last week:
- The All-Star break was last week, and American hero Aaron Judge won the Home Run Derby with relative ease. The American League won the All-Star Game thanks to Robinson Cano’s tenth inning home run.
- After the All-Star break the Yankees headed to Boston for four games in three days with the Red Sox. Aroldis Chapman blew the save in Friday’s 5-4 loss, though the Yankees rebounded with a 4-1 win Saturday in 16 innings. The Yankees earned a 3-0 win in the first game of Sunday’s doubleheader, then they lost the second game 3-0.
- Injury Updates: Michael Pineda (elbow) has a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament and Tommy John surgery has been recommended. He is getting a second opinion. Greg Bird (ankle) has inflammation in his os trigonum and received another cortisone shot. He may need surgery, which would sideline him 6-8 weeks. Pitching prospect Josh Rogers (elbow) is done for the season after having surgery to remove bone spurs.
- Starlin Castro and Matt Holliday were activated off the disabled list and both Rob Refsnyder and Tyler Wade were sent down. Bryan Mitchell, Ben Heller, Jonathan Holder, Caleb Smith, and Domingo German were all involved in shuttle moves following Saturday’s 16-inning game.
- Prime trade target Jose Quintana was traded to the Cubs for four prospects. The Yankees traded Tyler Webb to the Brewers for first baseman Garrett Cooper. They’ve had “cursory” talks with the Marlins about first baseman Justin Bour, and have also spoken to the Padres about Brad Hand and Brandon Mauer, and to the Marlins about David Phelps and A.J. Ramos.
- Seven Yankees made Baseball America’s midseason top 100 prospects list, though only one made Keith Law’s midseason top 50 list.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the Features tab in the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.