Aaron Judge went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts at the plate. Greg Bird went 1-for-4 and Brandon Drury went 1-for-3 with a walk. Erik Kratz smacked a wind-aided homer and Shane Robinson had a two-run single. Rashad Crawford robbed a home run at the short wall in left field, so that’s cool. Not the most interesting game in Sarasota. At least no one got hurt. Here are the box score and video highlights, and here are the rest of the day’s notes from Tampa:
- Jacoby Ellsbury tracked pitches during batting practice today, so he’s inching closer to a return. “I’m advancing every day. I’ve been running, throwing, and lifting. Pretty much everything. The next step will be batting practice outside,” he said. [Pete Caldera, Dan Martin]
- Neil Walker went 2-for-4 with doubles from each side of the plate in a minor league game. “Hopefully that’s a sign of my timing coming together pretty quickly,” he said. Here’s video of each double. He played first and third bases, interestingly enough. Walker will get more at-bats on the minor league side tomorrow, then play in Friday’s game. [Caldera]
- So long Adam Lind. He was released today, the Yankees announced. Lind spent eleven days in camp and went 3-for-15 (.200) during Grapefruit League play. The Yankees must feel pretty good about Greg Bird’s health (or Walker and Billy McKinney at first base) to cut Lind a week before his opt-out date. Anyway, I count 46 players still in big league camp.
- The Yankees are back at it tomorrow afternoon at home against the Pirates. That game will be televised. Sonny Gray is the scheduled starter. First time we’ll see him this spring. He’s only pitched in non-televised games so far.
- And finally, Chien-Ming Wang was at the complex today. He hasn’t ruled out attempting another comeback as a player, though he said he is town “learning how to coach.” I hope he catches on somewhere. [Ken Davidoff]
Here is the nightly open thread. MLB Network will have the Rockies and Dodgers live later tonight (10pm ET), plus the (hockey) Rangers and Devils are playing, and I do believe the NCAA basketball tournament begins as well. Talk about those games or anything else here, just not religion or politics.