- The Yankees optioned LHP Ryan Bollinger to Double-A Trenton following last night’s game, the team announced. That presumably paves the way for RHP Tommy Kahnle to return tomorrow. Marc Carig wrote a great story on Bollinger’s career and travels.
- OF Billy McKinney has been activated off the disabled list and optioned to Triple-A Scranton, the Yankees announced. He’d been out with a shoulder injury since crashing into the wall during the opening series in Toronto. McKinney went 7-for-37 (.189) in eleven rehab games.
- The Yankees have signed C Wilkin Castillo out of an independent league, the team announced. He’s been assigned to Triple-A Scranton. Castillo spent time in the system last year and is a utility guy who can play the four corner positions as well as catch.
- I forgot to link this the other day, but here’s video of RHP Clarke Schmidt throwing a simulated game earlier this week. Schmidt faced hitters for the first time as part of his Tommy John surgery rehab Tuesday. He’s expected to join a short season league team in a few weeks.
Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (3-1 win over Pawtucket)
- SS Tyler Wade: 2-5, 1 R, 1 2B — 5-for-20 (.250) during his little four-game hitting streak
- CF Clint Frazier: 0-3, 1 RBI, 2 BB, 2 K, 1 SB — 9.9 BB% and 31.0 K% this year after 11.6 BB% and 21.6 K% at this level last year … to be fair, he’s only played 16 games here this season, and most of them were essentially rehab games after the concussion
- 1B Greg Bird: 1-5, 1 RBI, 3 K — played the day game after a night game, so he must be getting real close to a return … the Yankees would’ve given him the day off otherwise … 6-for-22 (.273) in his last six rehab games
- 3B Brandon Drury: 1-4, 2 K
- DH Adam Lind: 0-4, 2 K
- LHP Josh Rogers: 6.1 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 6 K, 7/2 GB/FB — 61 of 99 pitches were strikes (62%) … 2.80 ERA and 51/14 K/BB in 54.2 innings so far this year
Double-A Trenton Thunder (1-0 loss to Akron)
- CF Jeff Hendrix: 0-4, 2 K
- SS Abi Avelino: 1-4
- LF Trey Amburgey: 0-4, 3 K
- 3B Gosuke Katoh: 1-3, 1 K
- RF Jhalan Jackson: 0-3, 2 K — even including today, he has a 28.9 K% in May after a 46.8 K% in April
- RHP Brian Keller: 6 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 6 K, 1 WP, 5/5 GB/FB — 51 of 73 pitches were strikes (70%) … 1.37 ERA and 21/7 K/BB in his last four starts and 26.1 innings after a 5.40 ERA and 14/9 K/BB in his first four starts and 20 innings
High-A Tampa Tarpons (9-1 loss to Florida)
- DH Ben Ruta: 0-4, 2 K — he hit .317/.364/.400 (116 wRC+) in 35 games with Trenton, but was sent down here to make room for RHP Trevor Stephan when he was promoted … tough gig, being an organizational guy
- SS Diego Castillo: 0-4
- RF Alex Palma: 2-3, 1 BB — played 47 games here last year and now 26 more this year … wonder if a move up to Trenton is coming soon
- CF Dom Thompson-Williams: 2-4, 1 K
- LF Isiah Gilliam: 0-4, 1 K
- 2B Hoy Jun Park: 0-2, 2 BB, 1 K — 31/28 K/BB in 37 games
- RHP Nick Nelson: 2.2 IP, 4 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 4 BB, 3 K, 1 HB, 3 WP, 1/4 GB/FB — 45 of 82 pitches were strikes (55%) … allowed seven runs in his first start and seven runs in this start … in between, he allowed seven total runs in six starts and 30 innings
The Low-A Charleston RiverDogs were rained out. The game was canceled and will not be made up.