As part of the fun weekend, the first 10,000 fans in attendance on Friday, August 17th, will receive a replica 1998 World Series trophy. The on-field pregame ceremony will then begin at 12pm ET the next day. The Blue Jays will be in town that weekend. You can get tickets here.
Among the 1998 Yankees scheduled to be in attendance at the reunion are Andy Pettitte, Mariano Rivera, Jorge Posada, Bernie Williams, Tino Martinez, David Cone, Paul O’Neill, and Joe Torre. Here’s the full guest list. Noticeably absent:
- Derek Jeter: The owner of the Marlins celebrating something with the Yankees would be weird.
- Scott Brosius: He is currently the Mariners third base coach and won’t be available.
- Joe Girardi: Would be pretty awkward after the split last year.
- Mike Stanton: Says he can’t make it.
- Orlando Hernandez: Not sure why he won’t be there. Probably a scheduling conflict. He and the Yankees are on good terms and El Duque does work for the team on the minor league side.
George King says Jeter plans to send a video tribute that will be played during the pregame ceremony.
The 1998 Yankees won a then AL record 114 games — at one point that summer they won 64 of 80 games — en route to what would turn out to be the team’s second of four World Series titles in five years. They beat the Rangers in the ALDS, the Indians in the ALCS, and the Padres in the World Series. We held a 1998 Yankees retro week earlier this year.