The shorthanded lineup managed only four hits on the afternoon. Gary Sanchez and Gleyber Torres each doubled and Luke Voit had two singles. That’s it. Gleyber drew two walks and Bird drew a walk and was hit by a pitch. Got him square in the elbow guard, fortunately. “When does it ever hit the pad, right?” he joked to Coley Harvey afterward. Here are the box score and video highlights, and here are the day’s notes from Tampa:
- Luis Severino (shoulder) played catch today for the first time since being shut down with inflammation. He made 25 throws at 60 feet and felt good physical despite being out of sync mechanically. “I just feel a little bit off because I’ve been out for two weeks. Just in my whole body when I threw in the outfield. The mechanics, all that stuff,” he said. Severino will make 50 throws tomorrow, then rest Friday. [Marly Rivera, Bryan Hoch]
- Tyler Wade exited this afternoon’s game with tightness in his hips and is heading back to Tampa for evaluation. He said it was precautionary and thinks it’s because he fell asleep on the bus in a weird position. “A lot of guys are hurt right now so I didn’t want to keep pushing it,” he said. [James Wagner, Lindsey Adler, David Lennon]
- Jordan Montgomery (Tommy John surgery) has graduated from flat ground throwing. He made 25 pitches from a half-mound yesterday. How may more bullpen sessions? “Nineteen more,” he said. What happens after that? “Not sure,” he said. It is a long and lonely rehab road. [George King]
- Gio Gonzalez will throw a bullpen session tomorrow and declared himself “ready to go” for the regular season. We’ll see whether the Yankees agree. Gonzalez added the Yankees were the only team that made him an offer over the winter. Sees normal. [Brendan Kuty, Erik Boland]
- Aroldis Chapman threw two innings in a minor league game today and J.A. Happ threw a 33-pitch simulated game. We’ve reached the “short tune-up outing” point of Spring Training. Hooray for that. CC Sabathia will pitch in a minor league game tomorrow. [Kristie Ackert, George King]
- Guest instructor Lee Mazzilli was hit in the head by a batted ball during batting practice today. Ouch. He was taken to the hospital and admitted for tests. Hope he’s okay. [George King]
Only four more Grapefruit League games to go! The Yankees have a road game against the Cardinals tomorrow afternoon. Domingo German is the scheduled starter. No opener this time. Tomorrow’s game will be televised live.