Scott Baker started and got roughed up, allowing five runs on five hits in two innings. He struck out three. Dellin Betances allowed a run for the fifth consecutive appearance and is still fighting whatever it is he’s fighting. The YES gun had him up to 94 mph, so I think it’s just mechanical. He needs to fix it soon though. Justin Wilson allowed two runs in 1.1 innings of work. Here’s the box score, here are the video highlights, and here’s the rest from Tampa:
- Minor scare this afternoon: Didi Gregorius landed awkwardly on his left wrist diving for a ball and has been diagnosed with wrist strain. X-rays came back negative and he is day-to-day. Exhale. Joe Girardi said they hope Gregorius will be back in the lineup by Wednesday. [Chad Jennings]
- CC Sabathia pitched in a minor league game this afternoon and allowed four runs on five hits (two homers) and two walks in five innings. He struck out seven, sat 88-91 and touched 92, and threw 69 total pitches. Masahiro Tanaka and Adam Warren threw bullpen sessions and Jacoby Ellsbury (oblique) took full batting practice for the first time since getting hurt. [Wally Matthews, Brendan Kuty, Nicholas Flammia, Erik Boland]
- Weird moment in the Double-A game today: Gary Sanchez accidentally hit Bryan Mitchell while trying to throw out a runner attempting to steal second. The trainers came out to look at Mitchell and he remained in the game. Phew. [Kuty]
- The Yankees still have not announced Adam Warren will be the fifth starter, but Esmil Rogers is making tomorrow’s road trip and is listed as a reliever. Evidence keeps mounting. [Bryan Hoch]
- And finally, the Yankees named Luis Severino and Rob Refsnyder their 2014 Minor League Pitcher and Player of the Year, respectively. Congrats to both.
This is your open thread for the evening. This afternoon’s game against the Orioles will be replayed on YES at 10pm ET, if you’re interested. The Knicks and Devils are playing tonight and there’s a bunch of college hoops on as well. Talk about those games or anything else here.