The Yankees lost 10-6 to the Tigers in the away game. Fill-in starter Chad Green allowed five runs (four earned) on six hits and two walks in 4.1 innings. He too allowed four dingers and struck out four. Austin Romine had himself a nice little day, going 3-for-3 with a homer. Starlin Castro also had two hits. Gary Sanchez and Jorge Mateo each had a base hit in their afternoon up from minor league camp. Here are the box score and video highlights for that game, and here’s the rest from Tampa:
- There was a lot of news earlier today. To recap: Romine, Luis Cessa, and Johnny Barbato have all made the team. Bryan Mitchell (toe) will miss at least three months. Andrew Miller (wrist) plans to pitch through his injury. Masahiro Tanaka will start Opening Day and be followed by Pineda, Nathan Eovaldi, and Luis Severino.
- The Yankees are still deciding between CC Sabathia and Ivan Nova for the fifth starter. The longer this drags on, the better it is for Nova, I think. Also, Cessa and Barbato won spots before Mitchell’s injury. Now the Yanks have to pick someone to replace Mitchell. [Bryan Hoch, Chad Jennings]
- Following today’s game, Anthony Swarzak and Cesar Puello were reassigned to minor league camp, the Yankees announced. Kirby Yates is the only reliever in camp who has not yet been named to the Opening Day roster. That doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll get Mitchell’s spot. They could always call someone who has already been optioned to Triple-A back up.
- The Yankees will play games at Marlins Park the next two days. Aroldis Chapman will pitch in one of those games and then travel to New York with the team. He’ll spend a day there to get the lay of land before returning to Tampa. Per the terms of his suspension, Chapman is not allowed to be at Yankee Stadium for Opening Day. [Jennings]
- The Reds placed Rule 5 Draft pick Jake Cave on waivers today. If he clears, he’ll be offered back to the Yankees per the Rule 5 Draft rules. That surprised me. Seemed like there would be a way for Cincinnati to squeeze Cave onto the roster. [Trent Rosecrans]
- Prior to today’s game, Barbato was presented with the James P. Dawson Award as the best rookie in camp. Congrats to him. Slade Heathcott won it last year, Tanaka the year before.
This is tonight’s open thread. This afternoon’s home game will be replayed on YES after the Nets game, so figure 10pm ET or so. The road game will be replayed on MLB Network at 6am ET. MLB Network is showing the Cubs and Mets live from Las Vegas later tonight, plus all the local hockey and basketball teams are in action except the Knicks. Talk about whatever here.